Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reapeating to get a better grade.

• 17-01-2010 9:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Heya people!I was wondering if you are allowed to repeat a subject that you got a low pass in, or passed by compensation in.The reason for repeating being that you would like to achieve a better grade that you know you could get.

My situation is at the moment, that i am doing 3rd year and however recently had an exam in a 4th year module(it is compulsory in 3rd biomed to choose one 4th year module).The exam didn't go too well as i had no clue what was expected from a 4th year .e.g extensive outside reading and the likes.Having done none of this at all but , knowing what i know now, i feel if i was to repeat the exam in August i would have a much better chance of passing or doing well.

The subject is Advanced Immunology and considering that i would love to do a post grad/masters in that area, do you think that they would make a special allowance?

Any help would be appreciated!Thanks =)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

AFAIk in any non-final year you can repeat as many exams as you like to improve your grade. In your final year, you can repeat up to 15 credits - whether by exam or by doing those modules again the following year - and still retain honours in your degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Hairspray

Thank you for that =)! I shall be repeating around two exams from christmas then =)!I wound up going on a major downer and found it really hard to give a crap about my first two exams, i know i passed them but didn't do up to my usual standard.I did however get out of said downer in time for my last two exams.Its not like I'm a bad student i just studied soo much (10 hours a day:eek:) for the first two exams that when i got to the actual exam i really wasn't bothered.Oddly enough i found that capping my study to only 4 hrs a day really helped a lot more with my last two exams, weird or what?

That's awesome!! Biochem 2 and Advanced Immunology here i come ^_^

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Nope, you can't. It's the opposite way around. In a non final year you can't repeat anything you passed. In final year you can repeat anything you want (but only 15 credits if you still want honours). Sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Are you sure LeixlipRed? I remember getting an email from the head of the Chemistry department warning us that if we wanted to repeat to get a better grade and then did worse, then the repeat grade would be the final grade.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure. These things are waived now and again of course but I'm fairly sure that's correct.

My music lecturer told me that I can repeat to improve in second year if I really wanted to. Maybe it differs dept to dept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Hairspray

I would be dealing with the biology department,so maybe i could drop into the office when i get back and find out if they offer repeating for biology?
    Also if you do repeat for a better grade, would that year still be capped as a pass even if you wound up getting all first class honors?

You can repeat up to fifteen credits before you're capped at pass :)

That's only in final year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement