Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo S40 audio upgrade

• 17-01-2010 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,
    Volvo S40 audio upgrade to premium. Can anyone tel me please, what Dublin Volvo dealers could do genuine Volvo sound system upgrade? Volvo s40 2006, have Volvo 6 CD changer, but want upgrade to Volvo audio premium package. Dolby sound , sub woofer etc.. ?
    Thank You,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,686 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Zikiz wrote: »
    Hi,
    Volvo S40 audio upgrade to premium. Can anyone tel me please, what Dublin Volvo dealers could do genuine Volvo sound system upgrade? Volvo s40 2006, have Volvo 6 CD changer, but want upgrade to Volvo audio premium package. Dolby sound , sub woofer etc.. ?
    Thank You,

Not sure if a retro upgrade could be done. The premium sound system has an additional speaker in the middle of the dash (as well as the boot amp, woofer and upgraded dolby speakers).

If anyone can answer this, I'd say Hellrazer (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=6292) would be the best person.

(HTML link not working properly on crappy laptop)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Thanks for the recommendation R.O.R.

It can be done alright but its going to cost a fortune.As far as I know Volvo do a full upgrade kit to premium.I think the last time I priced one for a customer it was 2500+ labour.

Zikiz.Ill pm you in the morning when Im back in with a price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Dead money imo. You would be better off just upgrading the car to another S40 with the premium stereo. I think the SE Lux had it as standard.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

bazz26 wrote: »
    Dead money imo. You would be better off just upgrading the car to another S40 with the premium stereo. I think the SE Lux had it as standard.

Too right Bazz--I wouldnt spend it on upgrading the unit.You`d never get it back when you sell the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Zikiz

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Thanks for the recommendation R.O.R.

It can be done alright but its going to cost a fortune.As far as I know Volvo do a full upgrade kit to premium.I think the last time I priced one for a customer it was 2500+ labour.

Zikiz.Ill pm you in the morning when Im back in with a price.

For just one Center loudspeaker?

• Advertisement

For just one Center loudspeaker?

Its not just the speaker youre changing.The unit in the dash has to be changed aswell.
    Theres 3 audio levels in Volvos---performance,high performance and premium.
    If your car has the lowest level speakers and you fit a premium kit it may not be of any benefit.

Its not just the speaker youre changing.The unit in the dash has to be changed aswell.
    Theres 3 audio levels in Volvos---performance,high performance and premium.
    If your car has the lowest level speakers and you fit a premium kit it may not be of any benefit.

I thought 6 CD changer with AUX input, that already installed is a high performance unit isn't it?, or you mean that even CD changers are also different?
    From what can I see, what kind of unit is installed? are there any codes,numbers Etc.?
    I couldn't find (on internet) what make are Volvo sound systems, Scandinavian could be B&O, but I doubt, that Volvo would put such expensive equipment even if cars are high quality, must be something else or they designed their own?
    Thank You, Hellraze,r for good comments.

I thought 6 CD changer with AUX input, that already installed is a high performance unit isn't it?, or you mean that even CD changers are also different?
    From what can I see, what kind of unit is installed? are there any codes,numbers Etc.?
    I couldn't find (on internet) what make are Volvo sound systems, Scandinavian could be B&O, but I doubt, that Volvo would put such expensive equipment even if cars are high quality, must be something else or they designed their own?
    Thank You, Hellraze,r for good comments.

Yep the CD changers are different depending on the audio grade.If you want you could grab me the part number from the side of it--starts with 30 or 9 (usually) and 7 or eight digits in total.
    But you can also power the unit off and back on it will tell you which grade of audio you have--it flashes up on the screen briefly.The unit you have may have the connections for the sub but it may not.It may also not have dolby.
    If I remember correctly thats why they do a complete kit.

Yep the CD changers are different depending on the audio grade.If you want you could grab me the part number from the side of it--starts with 30 or 9 (usually) and 7 or eight digits in total.
    But you can also power the unit off and back on it will tell you which grade of audio you have--it flashes up on the screen briefly.The unit you have may have the connections for the sub but it may not.It may also not have dolby.
    If I remember correctly thats why they do a complete kit.

Hi Hellrazer,

When I power unit on it says "HIGH PERFORMANCE SOUND" Is that good news- good enough to make it play Dolby or it means, that I still have to change a whole unit?

Thank You,

Right according to Volvo S40 06 should already have the centre speaker in the dash once it has "High performance " audio.

Subwoofer kit for the rear--Part number 8698406.Price 490.70 + vat less 10% (best I could do for you)--Sub also has to be added to the system by software upgrade--probably cost around 90 euros.

Theres no mention of dolby sound anywhere so Im assuming its part of the software upgrade once the sub is fitted--wouldnt be that uncommon for that to be the case.

• Advertisement

Right according to Volvo S40 06 should already have the centre speaker in the dash once it has "High performance " audio.

Subwoofer kit for the rear--Part number 8698406.Price 490.70 + vat less 10% (best I could do for you)--Sub also has to be added to the system by software upgrade--probably cost around 90 euros.

Theres no mention of dolby sound anywhere so Im assuming its part of the software upgrade once the sub is fitted--wouldnt be that uncommon for that to be the case.

Is it possible to enable center speaker (I mean dolby sound) with software upgrade only? or it's possible only when sub is fitted? (not sure if my wife wouldn't "kill" me for splashing over 500 for the sub:)). Just thinking, that once dolby sound option enabled it could be good enough (also not sure, have nothing to compare with).
    Sorry if I ask silly question and possibly misinterpret you (English isn't my first language), but what You are saying is that, there is center speaker (I have no idea where it is located exactly, to make sure) installed, but my system would not enable it and would not let me choose dolby sound option in audio settings menu just because it need software upgrade? If software is the case, any idea where can I upgrade it today in Dublin?

Zikiz--I honestly dont know whether Dolby can be enabled without the sub upgrade.

The centre speaker is located in the centre of the dash just where it meets the windscreen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SirGadget

Hi there Hellraizer, you seem to know your stuff:)

I have a MY05 Volvo S40, with Basic-/Performane Sound, you know the one with AMP built into the single cd player.
    I would like to know, If you could possibly try and figure out, if it's possible for me to upgrade my ICM to a 08-up spec, to enable the AUX, USB and iPod menu? I have already installed the media interface, just need the necessary firmware to select the menus.

I really hope you can help, and maybe even get me a good price on an ICM, as I can't seem to find anyone used, newer than 06.

Thanks in advance, Mikkel:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭J77

Sorry to bombard you hellrazer, but while the others are at it!

I've got a 2006 S40 with the high performance sound system but it doesn't have ipod connectivity / aux in. It's the 6-cd changer version.

Is there anything volvo do to retro fit an aux-in or ipod connectivity? I'm a stickler for sound so those fm transmitters arent really an option.

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

I have 05 s40 with premium sound system with 6 cd changer. Anyone know if this plays mp3 discs. I thought it did but when i made a mp3 cd it wouldn't work although i used a cdrw so maybe it was the disc.

SirGadget wrote: »
    Hi there Hellraizer, you seem to know your stuff:)

I have a MY05 Volvo S40, with Basic-/Performane Sound, you know the one with AMP built into the single cd player.
    I would like to know, If you could possibly try and figure out, if it's possible for me to upgrade my ICM to a 08-up spec, to enable the AUX, USB and iPod menu? I have already installed the media interface, just need the necessary firmware to select the menus.

I really hope you can help, and maybe even get me a good price on an ICM, as I can't seem to find anyone used, newer than 06.

Thanks in advance, Mikkel:-)

Mikkel,
    Best thing to do would be to pm me your Vin and I can check it out for you.

As for using a second hand ICM--Its not possible on a Volvo as theyre programmed individually to each chassis number.

J77 wrote: »
    Sorry to bombard you hellrazer, but while the others are at it!

I've got a 2006 S40 with the high performance sound system but it doesn't have ipod connectivity / aux in. It's the 6-cd changer version.

Is there anything volvo do to retro fit an aux-in or ipod connectivity? I'm a stickler for sound so those fm transmitters arent really an option.

Cheers!

As far as I know there is an ipod kit for retro fitting.If memory serves me right its expensive enough at about 260+ vat and fitting and also includes bluetooth.

I`ll check for you later when Im back in work.

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    I have 05 s40 with premium sound system with 6 cd changer. Anyone know if this plays mp3 discs. I thought it did but when i made a mp3 cd it wouldn't work although i used a cdrw so maybe it was the disc.

I think it has to be a cd-r and the bit rate has to be a certain size.But it may also need an ICM upgrade as from what I remember it was 07 on that mp3 cds worked with.But the 6 cd changer should definately play mp3 cds.

Mikkel,
    Best thing to do would be to pm me your Vin and I can check it out for you.

As for using a second hand ICM--Its not possible on a Volvo as theyre programmed individually to each chassis number.

I'm just sending you my VIN now, thanks for your help so far:D

SirGadget wrote: »
    I'm just sending you my VIN now, thanks for your help so far:D

Not to bother you Hellrazer, but have you had time to check it with my VIN yet?:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement