Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Union Five Lever Deadlock Jammed

• 17-01-2010 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

The lock on my back door is locked and I can't open it this morning. Any advice would be welcome.

It is a five lever Union deadlock. I can't see anything jammed in the keyhole. I've sprayed in WD40 with no benefit. There is no damage to the key and it is a new lock, put in just in early December.

Locksmith? I'm based in Waterford.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

locksmith

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

endasmail wrote: »
    locksmith

It would seem to be the only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

Locksmith arrived - tried various methods of opening the lock but the Union five lever has an anti-picking device and he didn't succeed with this approach. He then drilled a hole through the timber of the door and into the lock itself - very careful measurement so as to enter the lock at a very precise point, had a tolerance of less than one millimetre to each side of the drill bit. He then opened the lock with ease.

A small spring within the lock had broken - don't know how, makes no sense in such a new lock - and this had come between the key and the levers.

New lock now installed, all well. €75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Black Dog wrote: »
    Locksmith arrived - tried various methods of opening the lock but the Union five lever has an anti-picking device and he didn't succeed with this approach. He then drilled a hole through the timber of the door and into the lock itself - very careful measurement so as to enter the lock at a very precise point, had a tolerance of less than one millimetre to each side of the drill bit. He then opened the lock with ease.

A small spring within the lock had broken - don't know how, makes no sense in such a new lock - and this had come between the key and the levers.

New lock now installed, all well. €75

Glad you got sorted I wonder could you claim against Union?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Glad you got sorted I wonder could you claim against Union?

good idea that
    ya should write a letter to them

• Advertisement
Advertisement