Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

full length resize ?

Options
  • 17-01-2010 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

hi
    i reload for a .223rem i use a lee delux die set i have only ever neck sized my lapua brass i use quite a hot load 50grain v-mav 25.9grains vit 133 getting 3450 feet per second with .5in at 100y. i have reloaded my brass 6 times but it still chambers ok.
    what i would like to know is do i ever need to full length resize or could some one tell me about shoulder bump dies if they are a better option.
    thankyou
    stephen
    progress.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

if your not in the north or any where bar the republic for that matter ,you might want to rethink the wording on your thread .

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Moved to the general shooting forum.

jwshooter: No need to worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

stephentri wrote: »
    hi
    i reload for a .223rem i use a lee delux die set i have only ever neck sized my lapua brass i use quite a hot load 50grain v-mav 25.9grains vit 133 getting 3450 feet per second with .5in at 100y. i have reloaded my brass 6 times but it still chambers ok.
    what i would like to know is do i ever need to full length resize or could some one tell me about shoulder bump dies if they are a better option.
    thankyou
    stephen
    progress.gif

First off, 25.9 grains of vhit 133 is way over maximum load under a 50 grain v max in 223 , you could probably back off that load somewhat and achieve even better accuracy than your getting at the minute, you claim a muzzle velocity of 3450 ft /sec with that load, if you have chronographed it and thats what you are getting you may have loaded to a point that you arent getting any return in extra velocity for the amount of powder you are using, if you have the use of a chronograph I would suggest working up your loads using the chronograph which will track the gain in muzzle velocity as you go up in powder usage, in real world figures,
    not those listed in a reloading manual.

You are using a lee collet die to neck size your brass, and so far the brass has been chambering easily enough in your rifle without having to full length size or bump back the shoulders, this is quite common as the brass is fireformed to your rifles chamber, so in effect its tailored to your chamber. I would suggest that as you neck size each batch of brass, take one or two cases from that batch and check if they chamber easily enough, if they do then continue what you are doing and after loading that particular batch , take one or two loaded rounds outside and check if they are chambering easily enough as well, if they are then continue with the rest of the loading, do these tests with the first one or two you have loaded and you will know your batch will be good to go on with.

This system is not overworking your brass and will extend the life of your brass, it wouldnt be uncommon for you to get thirty or more fireings from your brass before the cases become tired and are replaced, and during this time you may never need to full length size or bump back your shoulders. However in the event that you find that you are having trouble
    chambering your loads , you may have a headspace problem which will need to be rectified by bumping back the shoulders slightly and I emphasise slightly!..the ideal set up for this is a bushing bump die, talk to your dealer and order one of these if the time comes you need it.
    A full length die can also be used to bump back the shoulder, set the full length die down against the shellholder and back the die out a half turn or so and run a case through it, measuring the length from the casehead to the shoulder before and after resizing,you will be looking for about two thou less after resizing to do the trick, it really depends on the chamber of each individual rifle.

On a final note, you have fired these cases six times, they will shortly require annealing to give you consistant neck tension on your bullet, how often you anneal your cases is up to you, for hunting ammo annealing after every five shots would be the norm, its not unknown for long range shooters to anneal cases after every firing, its up to you, heres a good link to explain the process;

http://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html

In the meantime carry on as you are until the problem arises, as I said it might not...hope this helps;)

ya got to love the internet

jwshooter wrote: »
    ya got to love the internet

Why didnt you answer him then, oh thats right you couldnt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭stephentri

in the lee reloading book it gives 26.2 grains as max for vit 133 50grain v-max ?
    in the vit reloading book it gives 25.9 grains as max for vit 133 50grain v-max ?
    thanks for your help i do use a chronograph but i think i will drop back to 25grains and see how it goes.
    thanks stephen

stephentri wrote: »
    in the lee reloading book it gives 26.2 grains as max for vit 133 50grain v-max ?
    in the vit reloading book it gives 25.9 grains as max for vit 133 50grain v-max ?
    thanks for your help i do use a chronograph but i think i will drop back to 25grains and see how it goes.
    thanks stephen

The best manual to use is the one thats produced by the manufacturer of the bullet your loading, in this case the hornady manual is best, 23.7 grains is a max load in the hornady manual so start at say 22 grains and work up from there, remember that you can also adjust your bullet seating depth after finding your powder weight , it may tighten your groups further.

Why didnt you answer him then, oh thats right you couldnt!

two reasons .i had not time to look it up and iv no interest in 223s.

two reasons .i had not time to look it up and iv no interest in 223s.

Thats where we differ, I didnt have to look it up!:D

Thats where we differ, I didnt have to look it up!:D

mmmmm

• Advertisement

mmmmm

and what really gives away your lack of knowledge on the subject is that the problem the OP enquired about is inherent in all calibres not just 223 s so saying you have no interest in 223s aint an answer;)

and what really gives away your lack of knowledge on the subject is that the problem the OP enquired about is inherent in all calibres not just 223 s so saying you have no interest in 223s aint an answer;)

TDH iv loaded for about 15 years not much in recent years as factory ammo is so good and im buying at cost or less.

but i dont post from the Internet with out saying so .

TDH iv loaded for about 15 years not much in recent years as factory ammo is so good and im buying at cost or less.

but i dont post from the Internet with out saying so .

Then why didnt you offer some positive advice to the OP ? and if you think im posting reloading advice from the internet your sadly mistaken.
    I have reloaded for a considerable amount of rifle and pistol calibres, and have put together some loads for very old revolvers which require pretty tame loads..but I will do one thing ill leave the next reloading question on this board for you to answer..hows that :D

Then why didnt you offer some positive advice to the OP ? and if you think im posting reloading advice from the internet your sadly mistaken.
    I have reloaded for a considerable amount of rifle and pistol calibres, and have put together some loads for very old revolvers which require pretty tame loads..but I will do one thing ill leave the next reloading question on this board for you to answer..hows that :D

il google that then ;)

PS ,foxy i dont doubt your experience for a minute BTW .

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

il google that then ;)

Heven forbid,you doubt someones experience or ability,never.:rolleyes:

il google that then ;)

Fair enough JW..all im trying to do is help the OP with his question;)

Advertisement