Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Search Function not finding specific keyword

Options
  • 17-01-2010 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭

It doesn't seem to be working.

Opr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Working fine for me - are you getting a specific error message?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Its working fine via the google search option on the front page but if I try to search a forum or thread via boards I just get no results.

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

Opr

Seems to be fine now thanks.

Opr

I still seem to be having problems.

I was looking to find the thread relating to the film "A Serious Man".

I did a search in films and returned no results and I did just a search of serious to which no results are returned. I even tried searching the whole site and I get nothing ?

I eventually just used the google search which worked.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Strange, that search word 'serious' doesn't work, I'll move this over to the development forum. The other words, 'a' and 'man' wont be searched unfortunately as our search tool doesn't yet allow for such searches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

MySQL has a built-in set of "stop words" which it doesn't let you query because they're too common. The default list is here.

vBulletin threw out "a" and "man" because they're too short and "serious" was rejected by MySQL for being a stop word. You can't search for phrases like "a serious man" because MySQL doesn't index text in a way which supports that.

The search system is due to be replaced with something more capable as soon as we have time to do so.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement