Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fcuking Eyesores!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

ronaneire wrote: »
    Have to disagree, I think it fits in quite nicely

The problem with that picture is that it does not show that the new building is 3/4 stories (sp) higher (its 11 stories high most of the buildings on Parkgate St. are 4 stories high) then the surrounding buildings nor does it show that most of the other buildings in the area are redbrick and ~100 years old.

I live at the top of infirmary road, I used to be able to see the Mountains from the window, now all I can see is that elephant. But it's a government building and they didn't need planning permission or to consult with the local residents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Jaeger 90

F.R. wrote: »
    The problem with that picture is that it does not show that the new building is 3/4 stories (sp) higher (its 11 stories high most of the buildings on Parkgate St. are 4 stories high) then the surrounding buildings nor does it show that most of the other buildings in the area are redbrick and ~100 years old.

I live at the top of infirmary road, I used to be able to see the Mountains from the window, now all I can see is that elephant. But it's a government building and they didn't need planning permission or to consult with the local residents.

If you want to look at mountains move out of the city, Its Irelands capital, just because your a resident there doesn't give you a right to disrupt the nations development.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Quint wrote: »
    http://www.courts.ie/Courts.ie/Library3.nsf/16c93c36d3635d5180256e3f003a4580/487ec306f36c3b96802572d1003c8d55?OpenDocument
    The total cost of designing, building, maintaining and providing support facilities in the Complex over the 28 year period of the contract is €291m in net present terms.

Jaeger 90 wrote: »
    If you want to look at mountains move out of the city, Its Irelands capital, just because your a resident there doesn't give you a right to disrupt the nations development.

I have no problem with the nation developing. I just think that the development should be properly planned. Throwing up high rise buildings, without any consultation is not IMHO the way to go about it.

• Advertisement

I have no problem with the nation developing. I just think that the development should be properly planned. Throwing up high rise buildings, without any consultation is not IMHO the way to go about it.

well its not actually high rise, and Irish planning is very stringent on that.

The worst eyesores in Ireland are the sprawling estates in our city's suburbs surrounded by derelict land our country side ruined by once off housing. but no one objects to that

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Hockney

Cork Street/Coombe area of Dublin is an eyesore in general. They attempted to develop it during the property boom, but they did a half job and what's left is some vacant high-rises,a load of empty (waiting to be demolished) corpo flats and some of the most disgustingly ugly factories I've ever seen. I feel sorry for the people who live around there - 'specially those who bought exorbitantly priced shoe box apartments - it's majorly depressing

Amen to that! Earl's Court being top of that list of vile high rises. Looks like they decided on the design as they built every floor.

Brickie: "Do you want a window on this floor, boss?"
    Foreman: "Eh yeah, alright."
    Brickie: "Middle of the wall or in the corner?"
    Foreman: "Surprise me."

:eek:

Where does it say its 11 stories high?

I'd say it was properly planned, I can't see DCC giving out planing permission without consultation, It is most certainly is not high rise compared to the Eircom building that went up on Johns Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

well its not actually high rise, and Irish planning is very stringent on that.

The worst eyesores in Ireland are the sprawling estates in our city's suburbs surrounded by derelict land our country side ruined by once off housing. but no one objects to that

Hear hear, somebody mentioned it "sticking out like a sore thumb", god forbid having a bit of imaginative design in the city anymore!

Oh and on the issue of it having no parking.. i don't see what that actually has to do with the aesthetics of a building, actually it would probably works in its favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Which town!?!?!?!?!

Well, what other town has a Georges St, the Arcade, Central Hotel, Aungier St, Yamamori and Dame street. Are you truly that badly traveled that you don't recongnise your own capital from these places and street names?

The eyesores of today in Ireland are those manky one off tacky palacial like houses in rural Ireland that are "designed" by the owner and signed off by a drunk architect. Who needs five bathrooms?

• Advertisement

This might help :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

The Old Dundrum shopping centre. Think its being demolished though. I still think a lot of O'Connell St is a bit of an eyesore Dr Quirkeys etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Anyone from Galway will know this disaster of a building, completely out of keeping with the area it's in. Looks more like the new MI5 headquarters.

You won't notice it once they build the 30 storey 'can like' tower with the revolving restaurant on top in the water opposite Seapoint.:D

ronaneire wrote: »
    Where does it say its 11 stories high?

I'd say it was properly planned, I can't see DCC giving out planing permission without consultation, It is most certainly is not high rise compared to the Eircom building that went up on Johns Rd.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/archive/index.php/t-822434.html
    http://www.dublins98.ie/news-sport/news/new-criminal-courts-building-opens-in-dublin/

Re planning permission it was mentioned on Joe Duffy during the week that as it was a government build it did not have to go through normal planning procedures.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Cost €300m and doesn't even have anywhere to park

Joe Duffy, di di di di di de di de do de di de, 1850 715 815...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

2189250909_ba699db7cc.jpg

This and the one next to it of Tara St.

Makes me ashamed...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

nothing mentioned so far is an eyesore, when i think of eyesores i think of something like this
    http://jamestamp.com/normal_soviets.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

The new Lansdowne Road (and it's not even finished yet!)

Have a look at this giant glass eyesore for yourself.
    http://www.lrsdc.ie/gallery/singlecategory.asp?PCID=127

Totally at odds with the surrondings and sure why let little details like such as not having a big enough site complete the design to stop you? Solution = Just don't build one side of it.

bonerm wrote: »

Jesus Christ... i hope you're talking the piss.

Jesus Christ... i hope you're talking the piss.

No, but the developers clearly were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

I love the Spire!

I think all the masses of apartment blocks that have gone up in the last 10-15 years look awful. (Even though I live in one!) They've no character and they're going to look even worse in ten years time.

Totally at odds with the surrondings and sure why let little details like such as not having a big enough site complete the design to stop you? Solution = Just don't build one side of it.

It's a 50 odd thousand capacity stadium of course its going to be at odds with its surroundings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Absolute rubbish.
    So the likes of Hawkins House, ESB offices on fitzwilliam street, loop line bridge, busaras, civic offices (list goes on) are perfectly ok because they're in the capital and they were for the nations development?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

the new lansdowne road is a magnificent stadium and credit to this country

Absolute rubbish.
    So the likes of Hawkins House, ESB offices on fitzwilliam street, loop line bridge, busaras, civic offices (list goes on) are perfectly ok because they're in the capital and they were for the nations development?

Yes, its not a beauty contest, they serve a function.

and how they look is a matter of opinion anyway so go dance on the hill of tara - hippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭west101

Old Jurys hotel in Waterford
    Dilapidated Kip

• Registered Users Posts: 33,440 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Just about everything in the Sandyford Industrial Estate.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

It's a 50 odd thousand capacity stadium of course its going to be at odds with its surroundings.

No you're right. It's sympathetic to the area. That's why it'll be lobsided on one end forever.

I honestly can't wait til it opens just so everyone will finally realise what a ridiculous looking kip it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 tadru

I like
    the big ball, suppose to depict the highways and byways. LITTER DOES IT FOR ME IN ANY TOWN VILLAGE OR LOCAL COMMUNITY, IT SAYS SLOBS!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

Agricola wrote: »
    Out of interest, what would all the Spire haters like to have seen in its place? I dont mind it but I would have prefered something like the Nelson Monument but with an Irish Leader on top.

I vote for bertie !

*ducks*

Advertisement