Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fcuking Eyesores!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Stop ****ing them and they wont be so sore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Tiny Explosions

bonerm wrote: »
    No you're right. It's sympathetic to the area. That's why it'll be lobsided on one end forever.

I honestly can't wait til it opens just so everyone will finally realise what a ridiculous looking kip it is.

I don't think it looks like a kip. but it looks like it was build on the cheap!

If it had been build 5-10 years ago it might have been world class looking, but football stadiums have evolved so much since, I think that by the time it opens it will already be dated looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

At least you could go up Nelsons Column and survey at the surroundings. You can't even do that with the Spire. Plust the fact that the Spire is so totally non-descript (visually speaking) means it doesn't even function as an adequate iconic image for the city either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

At least you could go up Nelsons Column and survey at the surroundings. You can't even do that with the Spire. Plust the fact that the Spire is so totally non-descript (visually speaking) means it doesn't even function as an adequate iconic image for the city either.

So is there any modern irish buildings that you do like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

To me the Spire looks like a big Snooker cue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Ucc full of beautiful old buildings and then there is the eyesore that is the kane building.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_BrX56UzU0Zs/R6UUfyJyyxI/AAAAAAAAAuY/gKNxpCCMPe0/407.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

OutlawPete wrote: »
    To me the Spire looks like a big Snooker cue.

A big amazing super sci-fi snooker cue on steroids.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Archeron

Times change and tastes change. Just because you dont like something now doesnt mean it should be pulled down, as long as its functional and not a danger, then it stands as part of history of a nation, and we should not have the right to ask for demolition because it upsets our delicate sensibilities as we drive past them to our sprawling 3 bed semis on the burbs.

As ugly as Liberty hall is, I still think it has its own wonky charm. I also like the spire and the new criminal court and Busaras would be nice if it wasnt for all the scumbags around it.

The only ones I dont like are the big non descript 60's office blocks mentioned above, but they've been a part of Dublin longer than I have, so they still have their place.

All of these buildings represent the mood, the wealth, the attitudes and the relevant international styles of the time they were built, so perhaps instead of slating them, we could instead learn from them and and just appreciate them for what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

donvito99 wrote: »
    2189250909_ba699db7cc.jpg

This and the one next to it of Tara St.

Makes me ashamed...

The apollo house car park and the department of education building(i think) behind it..are the two most ugly buildings that could ever grace a citys landscape..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

I honestly can't wait til it opens just so everyone will finally realise what a ridiculous looking kip it is.

I'v heard from guys working on it that the roof blocks view of areas of the pitch from some seats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Jaeger 90 wrote: »
    Yes, its not a beauty contest, they serve a function.

and how they look is a matter of opinion anyway so go dance on the hill of tara - hippy

Of course how they look is a matter of opinion. I'm sure lots of people were delighted this was knocked down for this.

Wether archtecure is nice or not is entirely subjective, I think almost everyone is delighted we now have this instead of the longest line of victorian archtecture in the world. :rolleyes:
    I'm off to tara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

There's a town in Co.Mayo called Ballindine. I know most of you won't know it but theres this "thing" (I really dont know what the fcuk it is!) just as you enter the town. The town is absolutely tiny so its just pointless tbh...

Pic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

That monstrosity outside Dublin Castle on Dame- they built on a lovely green spot and everything! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Jaeger 90

Quint wrote: »
    Of course how they look is a matter of opinion. I'm sure lots of people were delighted this was knocked down for this.

Wether archtecure is nice or not is entirely subjective, I think almost everyone is delighted we now have this instead of the longest line of victorian archtecture in the world. :rolleyes:
    I'm off to tara

So you choose prancing around a theatre wearing frills in victorian Dublin, No - The hawkins house building is beautiful because it dominates, it screams industrial might and strong work ethic.

It serves us. be grateful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

The new Lansdowne Road (and it's not even finished yet!)

Have a look at this giant glass eyesore for yourself.
    http://www.lrsdc.ie/gallery/singlecategory.asp?PCID=127

Totally at odds with the surrondings and sure why let little details like such as not having a big enough site complete the design to stop you? Solution = Just don't build one side of it.

There are two problems with Lansdowne Road. One - its in the wrong place, they should have moved to the irish glass bottle factory site, and two the roof comes down too low, which if it doesn't obstruct the view, it will feel very claustrophobic at the back of the stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

The Liffey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Jev/N wrote: »
    The Liffey
    More of a nose-sore tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

MaybeLogic wrote: »
    The Parisiens hated their Great Phallic Symbol in the Sky when it first went up but sentimentality won them over in the end ,as will the Spike,no doubt,eventually finding a place in Dubliners' hearts.

I think it's an insult to Gustave Eiffel and the Parisiens to even compare The Eiffel Tower to The Spire. The Eiffel Tower is a feat of architectural excellence and offers its visitors the choice of going to the top for a breath taking view. On the other hand, The Spire is an inanimate rod to god and is therefore of no benefit to me or my fellow Irish people.

So you choose prancing around a theatre wearing frills in victorian Dublin, No - The hawkins house building is beautiful because it dominates, it screams industrial might and strong work ethic.

Haha thats's hilarious, you do realise the Department of Health is located there. There has never been any strong work ethic from them unless you count twiddling your thumbs. Hundreds of overpaid staff that ''work'' here are not needed (HSE took over most of it's responsibilities) and the majority should be made redundant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

There are two problems with Lansdowne Road. One - its in the wrong place, they should have moved to the irish glass bottle factory site, and two the roof comes down too low, which if it doesn't obstruct the view, it will feel very claustrophobic at the back of the stands.
    I think the location for Lansdowne is perfect. Plenty of pubs around, and you can walk to it from the city centre. That's vital in a city with such poor public transport.
    Haha thats's hilarious, you do realise the Department of Health is located there. There has never been any strong work ethic from them unless you count twiddling your thumbs. Hundreds of overpaid staff that ''work'' here are not needed (HSE took over most of it's responsibilities) and the majority should be made redundant.
    Agreed, but don't feed the troll.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Quint wrote: »
    I think the location for Lansdowne is perfect. Plenty of pubs around, and you can walk to it from the city centre. That's vital in a city with such poor public transport.
    While I agree with you in that sense, the problem with lansdowne is that the site was too highly constrained. There was something like less than a metre wiggle room at the site boundary. Had they moved to sandymount It would have halped with the regeneration of Docklands, would have been within walking distance from the city... and saved Bernard McNamara skin! Most importantly it wouldn't have been constrained so they would have been able to build as high as they liked/needed.

Incidentally Croke Park should have been reorientated when it was being redeveloped as It suffers from the constraint problem too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Busáras is a masterpiece is you ask me...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Ha...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

I love the Spire but I'm a Culshie, so I would. It's only you Dubs that seem too hate it!!

The County Council office in Dooradoyle, Limerick is a horrible building.... Looks like it was built inside out!! Designers failed miserably imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Collie D wrote: »
    Busaras in Dublin, ugly piece of 60s "architecture". I quite like the Spike though so maybe I'm not the best judge.

Busaras was actually designed and built mostly in the 1940's - it was opened in '53. And it's no eyesore - lovely detailing and quality materials.

gold_busaras.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Whatever the building is on Dame street, DUBLIN, across from the Olympia. Used to be a wee green space, now it's this big glass monstrosity. The place is all glass and concrete now.

The Eircom building that used to be by Stephens Green shopping centre was a shocking looking yoke, but I don't think much of the shops that replaced it.

Every fecking Spar shop in Dublin city! One day Dublin will be a long line of Spars, Carrols and coffee shops.

As mentioned a few posts back most apartment blocks in the city centre too, horrible, boring lumps of buildings. Except the one I'm living in :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the department of health on hawkins street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Mrmoe wrote: »
    The abandoned Parkway Valley shopping centre. Thank you Liam Carroll, thank you very much.:rolleyes:

any pics of that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

the boardwalk skangers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Agricola wrote: »
    Out of interest, what would all the Spire haters like to have seen in its place? I dont mind it but I would have prefered something like the Nelson Monument but with an Irish Leader on top.

An open air food area.

Advertisement