Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chocolat restaurant,whats its like?

Options
  • 17-01-2010 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

My parents like eating out and food so was going to get them a voucher for Chocolat as people seem to be raving about it,someone even told me its booked out for january:eek:...However someone else said to me its just jasmine palace mk2

So is it a proper restaurant or just a cafe with a trendy name?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭LowOdour

I just looked at their website....and a Smoky bacon burger is €7.50 on their lunch menu and €11.50 on their ala carte menu! Do people still get away with this!

Lunch menu looks very reasonable though. Sorry OP, haven't really helped you much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

Well we had a family meal in the texas steakout and my god thats place is fine dining by limerick standards.The food was great but jesus update the decor,make more room.The place was packed and the amount of people waiting for tables that they had booked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Chocolat is several times better than the Texas Steakout.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rgunning

Proper restaurant. I have to say I really enjoyed it, went there for a work dinner for Christmas.

The sea-bass is excellent there.

Chocolat is several times better than the Texas Steakout.

Texas steakout is grand but god update the decor lol

• Advertisement

Texas steakout is grand but god update the decor lol

If the words "meh", "mediocre" and "average" were turned into a restuarant, the result would be the Texas Steakout. It's a mystery to me as to why anyone would go there when there's plenty of decent to good, and even a few excellent restuarants in Limerick.

If the words "meh", "mediocre" and "average" were turned into a restuarant, the result would be the Texas Steakout. It's a mystery to me as to why anyone would go there when there's plenty of decent to good, and even a few excellent restuarants in Limerick.

Well it was a family meal not my choice but my god in limerick people seem to think its brillant is it people of a certain age or something

Well it was a family meal not my choice but my god in limerick people seem to think its brillant is it people of a certain age or something

It's fine for what it is, average food at an average price, it's not fine dining and it's nowehere near the best fine dining in Limerick. Chocolat is about the same pricewise but any food I've had there has been far, far nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

My parents like eating out and food so was going to get them a voucher for Chocolat as people seem to be raving about it,someone even told me its booked out for january:eek:...However someone else said to me its just jasmine palace mk2

So is it a proper restaurant or just a cafe with a trendy name?

There might be some info in the resturant thread above.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Great food though, ncie atmoshpere, beats Luigi's any day of the week which is like eating in Supermacs, noisiest restraurant ever, its also convinced groups of girls that eating there is almost like dining out in Sex in the City, its not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Went there once. Took a while to actually get the food. Looked like a small portion (lasagne I got) but it actually was very filling. Could barely finish it, so yeah, its a nice place all right.

[quote;, its also convinced groups of girls that eating there is almost like dining out in Sex in the City, its not[/quote]

Yeah what the story with girls and luigis?I was thinking the same with Chocolat just cause it had a trendy name

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

I've eaten in Chocolat a couple of times and think the food is overpriced and the portion sizes very small for the cost. I have to agree with previous posters that Chocolat is the new Luigis for the girls who think they're in New York drinking their cosmos! Luigis is just an expensive version of McDonalds.

so its just very basic food but priced to make it seem better and its trendy cause of the name

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

so its just very basic food but priced to make it seem better and its trendy cause of the name

No its very decent food. Never had a bad meal in there and its priced pretty well. Go downstairs though, upstairs is a little crowded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Jumpy wrote: »
    No its very decent food. Never had a bad meal in there and its priced pretty well. Go downstairs though, upstairs is a little crowded.
    Yep, only been there the once, but that is definitely the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 amandakola

Chocolat is a great little restaurant. and i think he prices are really good for the quality of food.
    Their early bird is such a good deal, two courses for 15 is excelllent value...considering a decent meal in mcdonalds would set you back almost a tenner these days!!
    I got the red curry for mail course and it was delicious. and their desserts are really cheap, i find a lot of restaurants overcharge on desserts, but everything was around 3/4 bucks.
    [white chocolate and marshmallow cheesecake =yum].

Maybe I expect too much but the last time I was there I had the Thai prawn curry. It was served in a huge bowl, swimming in sauce with a few halved baby potatoes in it and about 6 or 7 small king prawns, boiled rice on the side. It tasted like it had come from a jar and the lack of other veg, such as green beans in the sauce, struck me as mean. Perhaps I was just unlucky but the person with me got raw veg (brocolli & carrots) with their steak and when they complained they were told that's the way they are served. You couldn't even cut the brocolli. It didn't inspire me to go back again, but maybe as I said I expect too much for high prices in the current climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭littlemissteach

I love Chocolat!
    I've been there for early bird a few times and also lunch and everytime the food has been great, prices great(good value!) and portion sizes were grand(wellI'm only a girl)-I guess if you're a big man you might still be hungry!And the desserts are yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Was there last week for the first time and I must say it was very nice! I thought the choice on the menu was limited and portions were quite small but the taste of the food and the service was A1!!
    Have you considered The Cornstore on Thomas Street! In my opinion the best restaurant in the city by miles! Definetly worth checking out!

• Advertisement

I love Chocolat!
    I've been there for early bird a few times and also lunch and everytime the food has been great, prices great(good value!) and portion sizes were grand(wellI'm only a girl)-I guess if you're a big man you might still be hungry!And the desserts are yummy!

Are you one of the sex and the city type!!leaving a restaurant hungry aint good

alan1990 wrote: »
    Was there last week for the first time and I must say it was very nice! I thought the choice on the menu was limited and portions were quite small but the taste of the food and the service was A1!!
    Have you considered The Cornstore on Thomas Street! In my opinion the best restaurant in the city by miles! Definetly worth checking out!

Yeah im thinking that for the parents,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Take your family to Azur. The standard of food is exceptional and a good wine list to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭georgem25

I love Chocolat. I have been there a few times for dinner and once for lunch. Its very reasonable. The seabass is gorgeous and very large portion!!

Aidric wrote: »
    Take your family to Azur. The standard of food is exceptional and a good wine list to boot.

+1 Azur is gorgeous. The taster menu is brilliant value as well. Though its been a couple of months since I've been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cyberspi

I can't believe people think that Chocolat is expensive, you can get starter main and dessert for 19.50 after 7pm, 7 nights a week! 23 euro if you want it to include steak or surf and turf..
    I love the place and have been there on a number of group nights out as many of us were tight on cash and we could order what we liked and still have change from a 20..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Chocolat is excellent, though the woman, and I stress woman not lady seating people could do with a 4 year degree in manners.

The food is superb and it's reasonably priced.

It is part of the Jasmine/Wokking/Z-We-Ton group, but chefs make a restaurant, not the owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

Was there this evening, 4 starters, 4 main courses, 3 desserts, 4 coffees and a bottle of chardonay came to €94, I think that's good value.

Aidric wrote: »

+1, I like Azur too, nice menu and good value.

ninty9er wrote: »
    Chocolat is excellent, though the woman, and I stress woman not lady seating people could do with a 4 year degree in manners.

The food is superb and it's reasonably priced.

It is part of the Jasmine/Wokking/Z-We-Ton group, but chefs make a restaurant, not the owners.

Ninty9er my sister just told me the same the lady dioing the bookings etc was very rude and sharp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The steak in Azur is absolutely lovely.

Advertisement