Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Debt Set To Double ????

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

What does this mean for the future of the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

It means 20% of all taxes goes to servicing that debt by 2015. At least. Which means only 80% of taxes raised can be spent on services and or/actually reducing the debt over time.

Which means Lenihan was delerious when he said the worst was over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

So what does this mean for day to day life? Long term depressed property? Further Pay cuts for everyone including welfare recipients?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

If I am not mistaken NAMA is not included in the cost for the national debt. So the real numbers could even be higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

We knew this months ago though :-/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

Sand wrote: »
    It means 20% of all taxes goes to servicing that debt by 2015. At least. Which means only 80% of taxes raised can be spent on services and or/actually reducing the debt over time.

Which means we can try to:
    a) keep public expenditure in each department at its current level in which case taxes will go way up due to the increased cost of servicing the increased debt, or,
    b) keep overall public expenditure at its current level in which case each department will face big cuts in their budgets with resulting decreases in the services they provide, or,
    c) keep everyone happy in which case we'll end up with most of the worst aspects of a) and b)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

SLUSK wrote: »
    If I am not mistaken NAMA is not included in the cost for the national debt. So the real numbers could even be higher.

I believe that is correct. That means our "National Debt" figure isn't effected by it.

However, NAMA will have interest on its borrowings to pay. It'll also have some income from its property portfolio. The shortfall in NAMA's budget between the cost of interest and their property income will either have to be borrowed by NAMA (unlikely) or will have to be paid out of the budget every year until such time in the distant future that NAMA can be wound up.

SLUSK wrote: »

Bank recapitalisations arent included either, the real numbers are higher.

Advertisement