Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT changes - tinted windows and noise

Options
  • 17-01-2010 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/tinted-windows-targeted-in-nct-crackdown-on-boy-racer-gangs-2017472.html

Quote from article:

'...Measures cracking down on dangerous tinted windows and exhaust manipulation are being introduced to the NCT this year as part of a national crack down.....The changes related to tinted windows were prompted by safety concerns, because studies have identified that night driving with tinted windows presents a disproportionate risk, compared with daytime driving. '

My opinion on it:

Really, it is about time. Apart from the legitimate safety concerns I am sick of these peoples careless driving, intimidating driving, and lack of appreciation of the seriousness of driving a car and the damage they do when not driven properly. (And yes I'm aware not all these people drive like that, but it is a higher proportion than the rest of the normal driving population)

Last night I was woken by some dude demonstrating the noise of his exhaust while simply parked outside our apartment block at 4 in the morning...really its mind boggling why you would want to do that?? I've no problems with modifications to cars (even though I personally think they look daft) however the clampdown on tints and exhausts is well overdue. I think this will make these people realise that driving is a serious responsibility which should be taken as such.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I wouldn't mind some more details on the tinted window thing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

What does a loud exhaust have to do with the safety and road worthiness of a car :rolleyes:

hellboy99 wrote: »
    What does a loud exhaust have to do with the safety and road worthiness of a car :rolleyes:

Nothing, but having no tax doesn't affect safety either.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Nothing, but having no tax doesn't affect safety either.
    And paying tax does nothing for the state of most the roads either :p

I suppose, exhaust noise is something they want to control and integrating it into the NCT is much cheaper and convenient than having a seperate test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

The minister and Gaybo should be more concerned with tackling the education of drivers.The fact that someone can fail a pretty basic driving test and to be allowed back onto the road immediately is ridiculous.

And no,I havent got tinted windows or aftermarket big exhaust :p

Do they measure dB on idle ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

I presume it would be around 3.5k revs could be wrong though.Theres a lot of really loud cars on the road but nothing wrong with a straight through performance exhaust neither I hope there not too harsh on noise levels :eek: With a stainless steel mani decat and straight through mine would be up there :( and its not to make noise and piss people off its for performance

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Big exhausts on small engined, low powered cars are retarded. Not only are you actually sapping power from your engine, because your car is making much more noise, you're actually announcing to the entire world just how slow your car is.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ... Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa .... Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ... Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ... (Finally, after 10 seconds, a change from first to second) ...Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Seriously. If you had something with a 0-60 of 6.5 seconds, and a throaty snarly raspy engine note, it would be impressive, and petrolheads everywhere would look to see what nice machine is making that lovely noise. But on anything else, it's just noise pollution, and it's fantastic that the NCT is clamping down on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

"Tinted windows targeted in NCT crackdown on boy racer gangs"

What a ridiculous title that this journalist came up with just to explain there will be new rules with regards to tinted windows and exhaust noise levels...

Like if having tinted windows meant you are a boy racer...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

Big exhausts on small engined, low powered cars are retarded. Not only are you actually sapping power from your engine, because you car is making much more noise, you're actually announcing to the entire world just how slow your car is.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ... Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa .... Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ... Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ... (Finally, after 10 second, a change from first to second) ...Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Seriously. If you had something with a 0-60 of 6.5 seconds, and a throaty snarly raspy engine note, it would be impressive, and petrolheads everywhere would look to see what nice machine is making that lovely noise. But on anything else, it's just noise pollution, and it's fantastic that the NCT is clamping down on it.

I hope thats not a dig at me :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Even though heavy tint look chavy (yes, also on an Audi imo) it's the loud exhaust that'll keep you awake at night as the boy ricers tear up and down the local "strip".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Magnus wrote: »
    boy ricers

Spot on :)

I've 35% tints on mine, so hopefully i'll be ok. Never had a problem with night driving, but I can see how a lower tint level would restrict vision for sure. Limo tints (5%) being legal on the fronts here, had to change. It's dangerous.

The problem is with this though, is that it'll just be another thing that's changed for the NCT and then changed back. Exhausts can be changed easily, and tints can be removed and refitted for less then 100euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

daRobot wrote: »
    I've 35% tints on mine, so hopefully i'll be ok.

70% of light must be able to pass through the front tint.

70% of light must be able to pass through the front tint.

That's not too bad, I can just get them changed for 30% tints in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

Just read the article this post relates to, two things from it....
    Last week, Gay Byrne, chairman of the Road Safety Authority, revealed the country had managed to achieve the lowest number of road deaths since records began in 1959. A total of 241 people lost their lives on the country's roads in 2009.

Surely thats more to do with the fact half the country was sat on the couch last year, not out on the roads going to & from work???

Secondly...
    Under the changes vehicles that are more than 10-years-old will, from June 2012, have to undergo an annual test.

You and I both know that to keep and "older" car on the road requires more looking after, more regular servicing. IMO these cars would therefore be better looked after = safer.

Seanieke wrote: »
    Under the changes vehicles that are more than 10-years-old will, from June 2012, have to undergo an annual test.

You and I both know that to keep and "older" car on the road requires more looking after, more regular servicing. IMO these cars would therefore be better looked after = safer.
    Money making racket is all it is. I agree with you, some 10 year old cars you will find are in a far better condition than some 4 year old cars.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Money making racket is all it is. I agree with you, some 10 year old cars you will find are in a far better condition than some 4 year old cars.

Totally agree.

I get the whiff of a bit of motor industry concession in that rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I wonder how this will work with the vehicles that are not driven by "boy racers"? And that have privacy glass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Some of the wallys flying around tallaght in their souped up cars are shameless.

They look like pratts, drive like pratts so must be pratts. Lying in bed at night, you can hear them driving up and down the road. They may not even be rallying their cars, but they can be heard for a mile in every direction and it does disturb you.

One ejit living opposite me rallied his souped up ibiza with loud exhaust and tinted windows every night. Then he smashed it. So now he has a - - - HONDA CIVIC.:rolleyes:

Hopefully they will get no mercy.

(now, waiting to be verbally attacked by "enthusiasts")

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    I wonder how this will work with the vehicles that are not driven by "boy racers"? And that have privacy glass?

It only matters for the front two windows and the windscreen, so you can have as dark as you want anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Isn't privacy glass just a middle age wording for window tinting anyway? Well, more "mirrory".

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

I think its a good idea to test these things in the NCT. It gives people who are into modified cars known limits that they can follow, and only buy parts that will allow their car to pass an NCT with the new limits. Its better than whats out there now with nobody really knowing what the limit is, and a gard being able to say an exhaust is too noisy just by listening to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The NCT manual hasn't been updated since 2004, so the tint and exhaust thing isn't in yet. Then again they've been talking about integrated ticketing for Dublin since 1996 and we still haven't got that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Im concerned my 850CSi's exhaust may fail, any specifics on how they test? Are they comparing it to stock or an arbitrary figure?

I have both cats and the stock crossover (centre box), all thats changed (as the original rusted off, literally) is the back boxes. They are Magnaflow boxes, with sound deadening (ie not straight through pipes) but are considerably louder than stock (which cost like 2k).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Most people who modify there exhaust for performance reasons will just keep the standard one and put that back on for the NCT.

The headline of that article is a disgrace also,typical independent/evening herald tabloid nonsense.

that'll teach them boy racer gangs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I have to confess, I don't see how removing tint from windows and making exhausts quieter will make idiots suddenly start driving properly. But I'm sure they know what they're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Big exhausts on small engined, low powered cars are retarded. Not only are you actually sapping power from your engine, because your car is making much more noise, you're actually announcing to the entire world just how slow your car is.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ... Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa .... Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ... Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ... (Finally, after 10 seconds, a change from first to second) ...Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

+1

Little 1.4 civics (and generally you can add any other car with a big exhaust under 2 liter into that catagory) with huge exhausts are not cool

While you think your making yourself look impressive you just look like twat.

Now the alfa v6....... thats a different story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

There are actually a couple of more 'interesting' changes to the NCT:

http://www.rsa.ie/NEWS/News/MINISTER_FOR_TRANSPORT_ANNOUNCES_CHANGES_TO_THE_NATIONAL_CAR_TEST_(NCT).html

10. Dangerous Vehicle
    New arrangements will apply when it is considered that a tested vehicle would be a danger to the public if driven. In such a case a “Fail Dangerous” notice will be affixed, and An Garda Siochana will be notified if the owner/presenter drives the vehicle from the centre. The use of a dangerously defective vehicle on a public road is an offence for which the driver and owner could be prosecuted with a fine of up to €2,000 and 5 penalty points on conviction and/or 3 months imprisonment.

11. Vehicle Registration/Licensing Certificate
    The details of the Vehicle Registration/Licensing Certificate which must be presented at NCT will be compared to the vehicle. Any discrepancies will be notified to the owner/presenter and Vehicle Registration Unit. Even if the vehicle passes all other aspects of the test, a test certificate will not be issued until the discrepancies are corrected.

12. Cars over 30 years old
    Cars registered on or after 1 January 1980 will be subject to the NCT. In this way older vehicles will be brought into the testing system year on year.

13. Requirement for Identification
    The owner/presenter of the vehicle will be required to produce a driving licence or passport, and, if relevant, details of the garage/company on behalf of which the vehicle is presented.

Advertisement