Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT changes - tinted windows and noise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

They don't check the exhaust but some cars need the original exhaust system in place to pass the emssions test.

Why do you say performance parts = muppet parts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭iamskippy

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    Why do you say performance parts = muppet parts?
    because of all the clowns making noise, the so called boy racers

All performance parts aren't bought by people who drive dangerously on the roads. There are plenty of enthusiasts who buy and fit parts to their cars and drive on trackdays rather than racing around on the roads.

Granted there will be a few muppets.

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    Granted there will be a few muppets.
    I was talking about the clowns who make noise and there are more than a few. And why are blue lights which are illegal even for sale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 h_tynan

at long last, get rid of the bloody noise mongers. anyone hear a rumour that 10 year+ old cars will soon have to test every year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

h_tynan wrote: »
    anyone hear a rumour that 10 year+ old cars will soon have to test every year?
    It's coming in from June next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

performance parts ...

used by immature men in lieu of lack of performance in other areas...

hmmm, interesting that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I'm for this purely on the basis that if the boy racers get silenced the only really loud vehicles on the roads will be bikes which hopefully will make them easier to spot and therefore safer to be on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Barname wrote: »
    performance parts ...

used by immature men in lieu of lack of performance in other areas...

hmmm, interesting that.

Can you guys list some "performance parts" for me.. Im getting confused.
    Big Exhausts on [eg.] Civics do nothing (perhaps drop performance), as do oversized spoilers on the rear of FWD cars. So they clearly are NOT what you are referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

I know its called the nct test, but do motorbikes also get tested? I hope they come under the same noise limit for exhausts, some of them take the piss!

• Advertisement

There is no test at all for bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

iamskippy wrote: »
    and what is it for then

Its for the performance of the car granted the fools going around with a 1 litre polo and a big sports exhaust think there cool.But on a decent car like my glanza:D a full exhaust system gives it a nice hummm and a nice bit of extra poke.And i guarentee you it will be within this regulations and I dont go driving around at 2 in the morning flat out in 2nd gear.
    Matt Simis wrote: »
    Big Exhausts on [eg.] Civics do nothing (perhaps drop performance), as do oversized spoilers on the rear of FWD cars. So they clearly are NOT what you are referring to.

Not on 1.4 civics but on the likes of proper performance cars like type r integras supras skylines and what have you they do make a noticable differance power wise and these exhaust systems dont come cheap either there not your cheap 50quid pipe welded to the back box there proper straight through exhausts mines worth close to a grand to buy and came on the car from japan so if its legal over there why not here:D and most of these systems have silencers so the ''boy racers'' wont be caught out it will be the fools with their 50 back box and a k&n air filter in there 1 litre polo will be in trouble:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Matt Simis wrote: »

+1 on that

There seems to be a lot of Joe Duffy listeners here who don't really know what they are talking about but are intent on heaping us all in with that "Boy racer gang"

There are many people on here (myself included) who have many performance parts fitted to their cars but don't drive like muppets,and whose cars are probably safer than the average standard road car and who are getting increasingly pee'd off at the the 'tar them all with the one brush' and 'performance parts = muppet parts' attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 shaney-baby

I agree with the new rules coming in but branding every car modifier as a "Boy Racer" is unfair and discrimination as i see it there should be a certificate given to car modifiers so they can show there not boy racers as many people enter car shows and other events and get money for doing so.There is a fine line between some 18 year old in a honda civic which is the most done up car in this country! Next to the Glanza(starlet turbo).Then to a guy or girl that have spent thousands of euro on there car not 100 euro for a cheap exhaust. I Personally have a 1.6 car and a exhaust system but i have a E.C.V (Exhaust Control Valve)http://www.nengun.com/apexi/exhaust-control-valve .on it so i can control the level my exhaust makes.As for tinted windows the real reason there starting to crack down is because the garda cannot disguise who is driving the car and for safety to as i do see many cars wit tinted windows and the person has to have there window down to look out i think that places shouldn't be able to sell tints as this will restrict people tinting there car themselves.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Under the new exhaust noise regulation without getting into a long list of vehicles i wonder how many brand new cars that feature on lets say "Top Gear" will be unroadworthy direct from the factory.

and dB rating in relation to how annoying or invasive the sound is, is subjective on the source causing the noise, i have found from testing a noise rating in certain scenarios of 17dB far more irritating than that of 20dB, of course this is mostly in relation to the whine from fans etc, the frequency is a very important aspect.

I have heard quite a lot of cars that could be considered louder than normal mostly because they're 2L+ , it really depends on the actual noise for me. however the stereotypical 1.4L honda civic with the large exhaust which feels equivalent to standing next to a large speaker in a nite club has to go. the bass is quite annoying and completely uneccessary

i drive an imported celica t sport that on idle or even reving doesnt produces the same type of annoying bass as the type previously mentioned. mine just passed an nct in december 09. the only questionable thing about failing it was the sun visor which was apparently a little low, which even now i cant understand why. the windows arent tinted, i can see clearly out of the windscreen and i even have a clear view of the sky above with it. its doesnt obscure my view out of or even into the car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

hellboy99 wrote: »
    What does a loud exhaust have to do with the safety and road worthiness of a car :rolleyes:

If anything a load exhaust means that people hear you coming.
    A silent electric car would be a lot more dangerous.

It probably won't help that the NCT will be testing the sound levels in a warehouse type environment which will probably echo and amplify the noise !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

phill106 wrote: »
    I know its called the nct test, but do motorbikes also get tested? I hope they come under the same noise limit for exhausts, some of them take the piss!

Loud exhausts on bikes are as much a safety feature as a performance feature though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

As usual a load of crap posts..

Funny how every other country in the EU manages to handle (much stricter) laws for tints (which are extremely dangerous).. and non standard exhausts (not only anti-social - but means your vehicle no longer conforms to it's SVA)..

..and despite all you people who think you have a special case... 99% of cars with tints and peco (remember them?) exhausts are driven by morons who have little or no respect for other road users, pedestrains or local residents.

I am not wrong am I?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

slade_x wrote: »
    the only questionable thing about failing it was the sun visor which was apparently a little low, which even now i cant understand why. the windows arent tinted, i can see clearly out of the windscreen and i even have a clear view of the sky above with it. its doesnt obscure my view out of or even into the car

Was it low enough to cover any of the area swept by the wipers?

si_guru wrote: »
    As usual a load of crap posts..

Funny how every other country in the EU manages to handle (much stricter) laws for tints (which are extremely dangerous).. and non standard exhausts (not only anti-social - but means your vehicle no longer conforms to it's SVA)..

..and despite all you people who think you have a special case... 99% of cars with tints and peco (remember them?) exhausts are driven by morons who have little or no respect for other road users, pedestrains or local residents.

I am not wrong am I?
    +1

• Advertisement

If anything a load exhaust means that people hear you coming.
    nonsense, the noise from those clown boy racers is a danger because it can distract someone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

nonsense, the noise from those clown boy racers is a danger because it can distract someone

If you can be distracted by a exhaust note to the point where you feel your ability to drive is comprimised, I would say its more dangerous having you on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

I think its great, the dB values being mentioned mean that ill be well in the clear with both my cars with aftermarket exhausts, manifolds and no cats in them.

Tints will only apply to front side windows which is a good measure too.

All the people out there thinking this will reduce car noise are dreaming, if my car failed the nct due to noise i would simply put the standard exhaust back on, pass the nct and put the aftermarket one back on again afterwards. High end cars like Porsches/lambos/ferraris etc need to be worried about this legislation as in standard trim it looks like they'll be too loud for the pass criteria.

If you can be distracted by a exhaust note to the point where you feel your ability to drive is comprimised, I would say its more dangerous having you on the roads.
    I did not say i was distracted and it was not any exhaust, it was referring to the anti social noise made by those clowns. I know of people who have been distracted when these clowns rush up behind them. Noise mongers are clowns end of

I did not say i was distracted and it was not any exhaust, it was referring to the anti social noise made by those clowns. I know of people who have been distracted when these clowns rush up behind them. Noise mongers are clowns end of

What in the name of god is your obsession with the name clown?!

Judging by your posts in this thread I would say you know little about cars and even less about this topic. You are making yourself look right the clown with your mindless rants with no specific points and loads of sweeping generalisations.

cpoh1 wrote: »
    What in the name of god is your obsession with the name clown?!

Judging by your posts in this thread I would say you know little about cars and even less about this topic. You are making yourself look right the clown with your mindless rants with no specific points and loads of sweeping generalisations.
    What is your obsession with noise and attention seeking behaviour?

What is your obsession with noise and attention seeking behaviour?

No obsession with noise and attention seeking behaviour, both my cars are well within uk dB legal limits and trackday requirements. The difference between you and me is that i like to make my daily commute that little bit more interesting with a car that offers me a little more joy than your average toyota corolla and some weekends i like to head away on trackdays for a little R&R. No attention seeking there just some old fashioned going out and having fun with a hobby i enjoy, I also like to play rugby, surf regularly and am a non drinker and smoker. Would like to meet....

Are you done with the generalisations that all people who drive something different to a ford focus aren't trying to make noise and look for attention?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

and no cats in them.

Legally?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

It's fantastic that they are attacking the chavy plonkers with their enormous loud exhaust tips. Can't stand them!

I don't mind window tints too much, I have used them many times over the years for privacy reasons etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

No obsession with noise and attention seeking behaviour, both my cars are well within uk dB legal limits and trackday requirements. The difference between you and me is that i like to make my daily commute that little bit more interesting with a car that offers me a little more joy than your average toyota corolla and some weekends i like to head away on trackdays for a little R&R. No attention seeking there just some old fashioned going out and having fun with a hobby i enjoy, I also like to play rugby, surf regularly and am a non drinker and smoker. Would like to meet....

Are you done with the generalisations that all people who drive something different to a ford focus aren't trying to make noise and look for attention?

Wow wow, leave my beloved Focus out of this!:D

Advertisement