Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT changes - tinted windows and noise

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

You sure that the front two are factory tints?

What car is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aoifebeefa

Its a Polo 2004, the person before me had it customized when she ordered it new.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Aoifebeefa wrote: »
    Its a Polo 2004, the person before me had it customized when she ordered it new.
    If that is factory fitted then all you can do is go to a different NCT Centre and hope that she will pass. No point destroying a good car.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Seweryn wrote: »
    If that is factory fitted then all you can do is go to a different NCT Centre and hope that she will pass. No point destroying a good car.

to the best of my knowledge, no car manufacturers put tints on their front windows (and by tints i mean the darker tint that will fail the current NCT requirements), unless when the original owner was ordering the car, when it arrived at the garage they contracted somebody to do it.

even back in 2001 when my ma was ordering her car the privacy glass option only extended to the rear windows, not the drivers side or front passenger side.

are you absolutely sure its not a film??
    can you post up a picture?
    My car failed the NCT on thursday because my 2 front windows have 65% visibility and its meant to be 25%. I'm not a boy racer at all so I was not impressed! It will ruin the look of the car Does anybody know how I can have the tints removed? bearing in mind they are factory tints so won't just peel off??

Thanks!

you do know that the law is 65%, hence if 65% passes through then you should of passed?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

My car failed the NCT on thursday because my 2 front windows have 65% visibility and its meant to be 25%.

25% visibility is better than 65%? :eek: methinks you got something mixed up there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

If it had 65% visibility then it should have passed.

http://www.ncts.ie/NewInspectionItems.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

25% visibility is better than 65%? :eek: methinks you got something mixed up there...

how would 25% visibility be better than 65% visibility?

To pass NCT it has to have at least 65% visibilty or higher. 25% visibilty is very dark tint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    how would 25% visibility be better than 65% visibility?

To pass NCT it has to have at least 65% visibilty or higher. 25% visibilty is very dark tint.

I think you may have missed the " ?:eek:" after challengemaster's quote!

From what Aoifebeefa has said i can only assume she has muddled up the % of visibility required with the % of the tint, maybe she was told the tint was 65%?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aoifebeefa

Oops.. what I meant was that your meant to have 25% tints and I've got 65%.... My da managed to get some of it off so looks like its not factory tints after all (thank goodness, I'm prepared to be teased about that! :rolleyes:) who ever put em on did a real good job! Prob best to have no tints at all just in case next year they decide to give the whole tinted windows the boot!!

Cheers all!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Wonder will these new regulations apply to State vehicles? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

Based on what other posters have said I fully expected my car to fail the NCT as it has tints on all windows (except windscreen).

The test was earlier today in Deansgrange and I didn't remove the tints on the off chance it would pass/not be tested.

Guess what... it passed :D

There is nothing on the NCT "Test Readings" report I can see for tints but I'm sure the tester checked them with some type of gadget.

Here's a pic of the tint, it looks a lot lighter in this pic than it actually is as it was very sunny out.

ncttint.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Nice one!

Any idea what tints you have? 20%, 35%?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

kceire wrote: »
    to the best of my knowledge, no car manufacturers put tints on their front windows

For the record my Fiesta Zetec Steel has factory fitted tint on all windows including windscreen but it passed the NCT on the 1st of May without any problems so either they didn't look properly or I don't look like a little boy racer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

daRobot wrote: »
    Nice one!

Any idea what tints you have? 20%, 35%?

I don't but it's very hard to see into the car with the tints if thats anything to go by.

Really surprised it passed as its darker than most tints you see used in cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jucey

Dazzy would you be able to post a pic of the fronts from outside because im thinking of getting mine done ..........does ny1 else know how light they above 65% are from outside ? are they worth even getting done ? if your cars over 10 years old you would have to get them removed and put back on costing more money as they testing 10 year old cars and older every year from june 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 9 frankkall

I was pulled over this morning by garda. Without introducing himself he scratched drivers and passangers front windows and said to remove these film sticker because these are illegal under the Road Traffic (Construction, Equipment and Use of Vehicles) Regulations, 1963. I just passed the NCT on the 08.07.2010 with the same tinted windows! (I presumed these windows were tested on the NCT) under the new NCT testing changes that became effective from 01.04.2010.
    I was told to remove these so called film stickers within 10 days or I will face the court summons.
    He didnt check the widows with the tester.
    So how can the car pass the NCT under the new rules and fail garda eye :) test on the road?
    How can he procecute me without light tester results?
    What is the possible penalty for that?
    What should I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭robdsherlock

frankkall wrote: »
    I was pulled over this morning by garda. Without introducing himself he scratched drivers and passangers front windows and said to remove these film sticker because these are illegal under the Road Traffic (Construction, Equipment and Use of Vehicles) Regulations, 1963. I just passed the NCT on the 08.07.2010 with the same tinted windows! (I presumed these windows were tested on the NCT) under the new NCT testing changes that became effective from 01.04.2010.
    I was told to remove these so called film stickers within 10 days or I will face the court summons.
    He didnt check the widows with the tester.
    So how can the car pass the NCT under the new rules and fail garda eye :) test on the road?
    How can he procecute me without light tester results?
    What is the possible penalty for that?
    What should I do?

i would leave it, if it passed the nct with it and the gard did not follow the testing procedures more than likely he will not issue with a court apperence and if he did, prob most deff the judge will not entertain the case with no test procedures and passed the nct!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

I put my car (98 GS300) through its NCT yesterday, Failed only on the tint, but I knew it was a medium 35% tint installed , so I queried it.

The NCT tester came out to the car with me and showed me his tint-tester at my car.

With the tint film on, it measured 32% opacity (basically how much light is let in), not around the 65% I was expecting.

He gave me a stanley knife to remove the film on the front windows. The retest was 72% :eek: just 7% over the minimum!:eek:

Basically the glass has a natural tint of removing 28% of the light from the factory so ANY tint, even the lightest tint added WILL FAIL:mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Anyone have a link to pictures of glass with differing levels of tint?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Shelly007

Does anyone know if car tinted windows are being banned in Jan 2011 as i have my car booked for next week and dont want to waste the money if this is true confused.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Shelly007 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if car tinted windows are being banned in Jan 2011 as i have my car booked for next week and dont want to waste the money if this is true confused.gif

NCT_DL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭paddycam

mick.fr wrote: »
    "Tinted windows targeted in NCT crackdown on boy racer gangs"

my mam has tints on her jeep from factory.Dident no she was part of a gang

• Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

paddycam wrote: »
    mick.fr wrote: »
    "Tinted windows targeted in NCT crackdown on boy racer gangs"

my mam has tints on her jeep from factory.Dident no she was part of a gang

Wouldn't be passenger or driver windows though so fully legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Wouldn't be passenger or driver windows though so fully legit.

its a factory option on some vehicles

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bagenal

Apologies for dragging up an old thread but I have a question on tinted windows.
    I am interested in a Peugeot 207 Sportium which has tinted glass on the rear door windows and the rear window, the front door glass and windscreen look clear. The tints mentioned seem to be factory fitted as far as I can make out from sources such as http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/peugeot/207/sportium
    Would this pass the NCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 website_dude

As long as the front windows are clear, its fine. They may fail tinted windscreen sun strip also.

Advertisement