Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earning less than Euro 500 a week and still paying Health Levy !

Options
  • 17-01-2010 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I've just been put on a 3 day week and as I am now earning less than Euro 500
    a week it was my understanding that I should be exempt from paying the Health Levy.
    However, on my first payslip for my new reduced working week there is a 2% Health Levy deduction.

Even when I was working full time and earning over Euro 500 weekly, my Health Levy deduction was 2%. This was increased from 1% in May 2009.

Now.. what has me baffled about all this is.. shouldn't the Health Levy be 4% (doubled from 2% May 2009) ?

It might have been an oversight on my employer's/his accountant part in making the right calculations/deductions or maybe I'm missing something and 2% is correct.

I'm unsure about what to do.. I want to inform my employer that I should be exempt from Health Levy payments due to my reduced income but I might also be alerting him to the possible fact that for the last.. I don't know long.. he's been making incorrect deductions.

In my attempt to save myself a few quid a week I could end up getting a Health Levy bill for hundreds !!

What are the repercussions of me saying something/not saying anything ?
    What would you do ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

are you sure its not the income levy you are being deducted because that went from 1% to 2% in May 09 and is payable for income over 289 a week?

If it is not the income levy, then I don't think you should be paying it

• Registered Users Posts: 19 the_head

Cheers Legend100.. you're spot on ! It is the Income Levy.
    I don't know how I missed it, my heads been all over the place in the last couple of weeks what with calculations, documents, Social Welfare etc..

I've got one more question before I let you go !

When I was full time and earning over Euro 500 weekly, apart from the regular deductions.. 20% PAYE (less Tax Credits), 2% Income Levy, PRSI ( A1 Class.. 4% on the first €127, 8% on the balance ), there doesn't appear to be any accounting for the Health Levy at 4%. Theres no mention of it on my payslip !

Once again, am I missing something ? It's not included in my PRSI contributions, is it ?

Any thoughts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

the_head wrote: »
    Once again, am I missing something ? It's not included in my PRSI contributions, is it ?

Any thoughts ?

I think it is actually, thought I saw that in something I was reading last week (could be wrong though)

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

It is normally calculated as part of your PRSI Contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 the_head

Thanks for taking the time out to reply guys.

I really should have been more clued up on these deductions ages ago.
    It's only in recent weeks that I've beeen forced to scrutinise my salary income/outgoings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59,608 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

You can check your net pay calculations using my spreadsheet at http://taxcalc.eu/monthlyss

Advertisement