Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newry vs Larne

• 17-01-2010 2:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

The JJB Sports Irish Cup match between Newry City and Larne was abandoned after serious fighting between players and coaching staff late in the game.

Punches and kicks were traded in the Newry dugout and across the pitch after two Larne players and Larne manager Paul Millar had been sent-off.

Newry were leading 2-1 before referee Raymond Crangle and his assistants walked off the pitch after 82 minutes.

Crangle will now submit a report to the Irish Football Association.

Liam Hogan was sent-off for raising his hands to Newry player Darren King and then Alan Reid was dismissed for a challenge on King soon after.

Larne boss Millar was sent from the dugout and then substitutes, players and coaching staff from both sides became embroiled in trading punches and kicks all over the pitch.

BBC Radio Ulster pundit Alan Patterson described the trouble as "the worst scenes I have ever seen in 40 years of watching Irish League football".

Newry boss John McDonnell said the unsavoury events had "kicked off out of nothing".

"It is was not nice what happened - I tried to get my players off the pitch as quickly as possible," said McDonnell.

"We were cruising with seven or eight minutes to go and I'd like to be talking about a cup win but instead we have to wait on the referee's report."

Photos:
    http://www.inpho.ie/fotoweb/search-results.fwx?folderid=5005&columns=5&rows=4&search=%28IPTC103%20contains%2016012010_19%29

jebus :eek:

think its 2 larne players swinging kicks at players that are down.

/stolen from pats forum :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I actually think that sc*mbag kicking the Newry fella in the head should be charged by the police. He literally could have killed the bloke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

Every single person involved should be given hefty bans and fines, while that filthy animal who kicked a defenceless player in the head from behind should be banned for life by the football authorities and also charged by the PSNI. Absolutely no justification for any of the players and staff involved, throw the book at them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Hear that last night on Sky Sports News, both teams lucky that there was no TV Camera's there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

That is shocking. That number 8 should get time and I mean that. Sickening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

monkey9 wrote: »
    I actually think that sc*mbag kicking the Newry fella in the head should be charged by the police. He literally could have killed the bloke.

if that happened off the pitch it would be seen as assault or GBH. Those photos while brilliant are sickening and hopefully will be used as evidence to punish the perpetrators correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

I completely agree Lagan and Raferty should both be banned for life and charged with assault but I'm sure they'll get no more than a 2 month ban and a warning about their future conduct. What scumbags they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Kirnsy wrote: »
    if that happened off the pitch it would be seen as assault or GBH. Those photos while brilliant are sickening and hopefully will be used as evidence to punish the perpetrators correctly.

if im not mistaken some fans up north got nicked for fighting on the pitch not so long ago.

shocking behaviour heard they were attacking newry fans when leaving the pitch!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Shocking photos, that poor lad on the ground, the run up and kick no.8 gives him, totally brutal. That animal should not be allowed near a football field again.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

WTF is happening in the photo's with the guy kneeling on the ground with captain's hands on his face?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Johner wrote: »
    That is shocking. That number 8 should get time and I mean that. Sickening!

its the ultimate act of a coward.

Bad enough kicking a man when he's down but from behind is thugish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Are Newry a catholic team and Larne Protestant by any chance?
    Not a great season for the Irish League following on from this game where 5 players and a manager got sent off http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/irish/8429037.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

WTF is happening in the photo's with the guy kneeling on the ground with captain's hands on his face?

Kooks like he's trying to gouge him? Certainly hope not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

patmac wrote: »
    Not a great season for the Irish League following on from this game where 5 players and a manager got sent off http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/irish/8429037.stm

How did you guess? :rolleyes:

They have a saying up north, Quiet as a Larne catholic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

patmac wrote: »

All teams in the Irish League have mixed teams religion-wise...and the fighting between Larne and Newry was solely between players and coaches...no hint that it was sparked off by religion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Wow....shocking shocking pictures, absolutely crazy scenes. That Number 8 in the red jersey should never be let near a football field again, even as a spectator. As has been remarked here already, people get jail time for stuff like that (didnt Duncan Ferguson get jailed for a head butt before on the pitch, or was that because of an accumilation of offences?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Can i just ask, with no agenda behind the question. Have any of the other nationalist areas teams applied for membership of the Eircom league like Derry City?

Newry City and Donegal Celtic have never really had too much love shown to them in the IFA leagues by the looks of things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Rubbish posts deleted.

Let's keep it as friendly as possible without bringing sectarianism into it.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭rovingrover

Deedsie wrote: »
    Can i just ask, with no agenda behind the question. Have any of the other nationalist areas teams applied for membership of the Eircom league like Derry City?

Newry City and Donegal Celtic have never really had too much love shown to them in the IFA leagues by the looks of things?

What do you base that on?

Both teams had mixed squads on saturday. Larne may be a mainly unionist town and a Newry a mainly nationalist city but the Larne number 8 is from the Short Strand (most likely nationalist) and the Newry player getting kicked is from East Belfast (most likely unionist).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I hope they didn't as applying for a league that doesn't exist anymore would be a little pointless? :D

On the issue of sectarian rumbles, we shouldn't jump to conclusions. If this were the case, more games between such sides would end up in fights.

It could well be just a normal bust-up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

If that number 8 gets a lengthy ban, can he appeal it to the CCC, then the ABC then the ESB, VHI and a few others or is that a different sport.

More info on the IFA investigating it here on the BBC website including this....
    The PSNI has also confirmed that it is studying footage of Saturday's incidents

Hope your man gets a lifetime ban.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

stovelid wrote: »
    That's what I was thinking, was hoping there was a better explanation

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

Hard to believe that this wasn't at least partially sectarian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

afaik donegal celtic were thinking about it when they were rejected entry into the new irish premiership by the ifa 2 years ago but its well knowing fact that no Belfast team would ever be allowed gain entry into the league of ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

This thread is the biggest argument yet against an all-Ireland league. If this were two LOI teams, religion wouldn't even be mentioned.

Will the result of the game stand depending on what the referee says?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

Hard to believe that this wasn't at least partially sectarian.

What makes you think this?
    When a team gets 2 men sent off in quick succession...then their manager (who should be setting some form of example) loses it and gets sent off...tempers are going to be running high...particularly on the team who is losing the cup tie and is down to 9 men!
    As mentioned previously both teams have catholic and protestant players...sectarian fighting therefore between the teams??? Did all the catholic players from Larne and Newry clash with the protestant players from Larne and Newry!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

stovelid wrote: »

FWIW that would attract a gouging ban in rugby in the mid range level of the offence IMO. Based on that image.

Advertisement