Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injuried Sparrow

• 17-01-2010 2:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was out hunting today a I noticed a sparrow about six feet away. Unusal I thought so I step closer and he hopped a bit, so I knew then he was injuried. So I picked him up, a placed him a large pocket with vent holes on my jacket.

I brought him home, and the is a small hole where his wing meets his body, only a tiny amount of blood. He seems a tad shocked, but seems well apart from his injury. I have him in a shoe box with some bread and water at the moment.

What do I do with him, would a vet take him in? He will just become food for the crows and magpies if I put him back in the fields. So anyone any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Odysseus wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was out hunting today a I noticed a sparrow about six feet away. Unusal I thought so I step closer and he hopped a bit, so I knew then he was injuried. So I picked him up, a placed him a large pocket with vent holes on my jacket.

I brought him home, and the is a small hole where his wing meets his body, only a tiny amount of blood. He seems a tad shocked, but seems well apart from his injury. I have him in a shoe box with some bread and water at the moment.

What do I do with him, would a vet take him in? He will just become food for the crows and magpies if I put him back in the fields. So anyone any thoughts?

He might have a pellet injury. Bird seed might be better for him than bread if he can eat, which would be a good sign, also if he is able to groom his feathers. However, it does not look good for the little guy. If he was injured enough to be not able to get away from a large predator I think he is on the way out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

cbreeze wrote: »
    He might have a pellet injury. Bird seed might be better for him than bread if he can eat, which would be a good sign, also if he is able to groom his feathers. However, it does not look good for the little guy. If he was injured enough to be not able to get away from a large predator I think he is on the way out.

I'm not sure around the injury, but when I first examined it, that was the first thing I thought of. I hunt so I have no problems around shooting the birds we are allowed to, so I would be impressed about him catching some shot, I am generally the only person who shots in that field, and I know it was'nt me.

Apart from the wing injury he actually looks ok and has significant energy to hop around the place. I have now placed him in the spare bathroom as I disliked the idea of a closed shoebox, if I left it open he hopped out. Whilst I might want to help the poor thing I'm not having him crapping in my sitting, he can use the bathroom like the rest of us;)

I see if I can locate some bird seed, and I keep an eye on him. If I think he is suffering I'll put a stop to that, but I don't think so at the moment.

Anyone any further thoughts on this, I think he ate a small amount, he is certainly crapping alot. The trauma seems to have disapated a bit and he is more lively. The thing is he keeps hopping against the door, trying to get out. I don't want him to injury himself any further, he can't fly so I don't want to release him yet. I have just turned off the light in the bathroom so that may make a difference. I got some birdseed of a friend.

Generally any bird I bring home is eaten, so I'm at a loss as to how to best help this chap. Should I just put in back in the shoe box for the moment? He would injure himself in that, but it seems horrible to me to place him in such a small black area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Might have been a sparrowhawk? Cat?

Small bird so imagine not much you or vet could do. You've touched on what I've heard of: dark box (to avoid stress... shoe box might be bit small) + water + food. Sparrows would appreciate seed / maybe porridge oats / peanuts (unsalted). If perks up, I'd release it to take its chances. If it can't fly, then would release somewhere with plenty of cover, possibliity of food. That's about all you can do.

Yep he/she mightn't make it, but you gave it a chance.

Thanks for the responses, but I'm just home from work and he is dead. Pity really, but what can you do. However, he left enough crap on the floor for me to deal with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement