Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom to Vodafone - Any Catches?

• 17-01-2010 2:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,523 ✭✭✭✭

I use my phoneline at home mainly for Broadband (hence posting my question here)

I got a call from Vodafone during the week from a pretty pushy salesperson saying that I'd get my monthly phone/BB package for €35 (as a Vodafone pay monthly mobile user) instead of €55 with Eircom, and she couldn't understand why I didn't jump at the offer.

I don't care about the phone side of things, but is there any difference in broadband between Eircom 3mb and Vodafone 3mb? She said no, because they use the same equipment, but I thought I'd ask the knowledgeable folks here just to be sure.... Any other downsides to moving over?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

I heard off a friend that vodaphone are quoting prices without vat but then charging vat, may have been an isolated incident but its worth checking out before sign anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Moved over from the Eircom 7Mb to vodafone 7Mb with anytime calls, all for €55 a month, which is less than what I was paying for Eircom's line rental before, so the price is something else. The guy (really nice) that switch us over said they're getting about 700 switches a week, that was at the start of december.

All is fine, the new router looks nice but thats about it, its a bitch to setup drives and stuff, at least when you've got Mac's and PC's...

Now, the broadband. All you have to do is head over to the vodafone forum to see the problems!! Every night, without fail, at half 9, the internet goes down. Completely. for about 5 minutes, which isn't that bad, but is a right pain in the... Generally its fine, not excellent, just fine. It can get slow now and again, a lot of pages don't load images, which after lots of tests comes right down to the vodafone broadband, nothing else.

Oh, and I'm one of the lucky ones with only those problems! or so I'm told...

So if you don't mind temperamental broadband (a lot of folks reckon it is the firmware on the router, I think some people are still using the eircom one and there getting on a lot better) and dont want to see to many images on your pages, and you want to save a sh1te load of money a year, I'd say switch.

If the only thing attracting you from that list is the money, then maybe wait and keep an eye on the other threads and see when a fix comes. Its due in the next week or two I believe, but don't quote me!

If I find a few linkys to the other threads I'll add them in.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055738410

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭recycler1

Mr E wrote: »
    I don't care about the phone side of things, but is there any difference in broadband between Eircom 3mb and Vodafone 3mb? She said no, because they use the same equipment, but I thought I'd ask the knowledgeable folks here just to be sure.... Any other downsides to moving over?

In many cases you're still using the same equipment. However, Vodafone have their own equipment installed in some areas.

If you do move you will have to deal with Vodafone for all your queries, faults, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

I heard off a friend that vodaphone are quoting prices without vat but then charging vat, may have been an isolated incident but its worth checking out before sign anything.

Best thing to do is check their website, which all prices include line rental and VAT. you pay what you see.

http://www.vodafone.ie/homebroadband/?ts=1263735989757

Those prices don't include the discount for already being a customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 lawrenceSummer

i changed over from eircom and kept the eircom modem working and the broadband is working fine all the time, its the same as what i had with eircom, just the bills are cheaper, by a good bit.

id go for it, where are you based

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,523 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm in Castleconnell (outside Limerick) and get pretty decent speeds with Eircom (except early evening, which is the same for everyone I suppose)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 lawrenceSummer

Mr E wrote: »
    I'm in Castleconnell (outside Limerick) and get pretty decent speeds with Eircom (except early evening, which is the same for everyone I suppose)

i changed and its the same service and speed that i had with eircom, there is a friend of mine working for vodafone that switched me over, i can PM you his number if you want to ask him any questions

Advertisement