Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Grinds My Gears

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,435 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

People moaning that a game is too hard when in fact all that is wrong is that they have no patience and/or are just ****.

People thinking the latest gorgeously drawn and animated 2D game looks crap compared to the latest 3D game du jeour with it's fake plastic looking characters.

Being beaten in an online game by some one you really should be better than. Happens a lot in SF4 to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

People rocket jumping to avoid your fire in games where there are no rockets to jump. Stop it and stay still so I can kill you !

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Being beaten in an online game by some one you really should be better than. Happens a lot in SF4 to me.

People moaning that a game is too hard when in fact all that is wrong is that they have no patience and/or are just ****.

:D

I dunno, do I pick on you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,435 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well when I get beaten online by a poor player it really is all my fault. I'll admit that without blaming the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

People thinking the latest gorgeously drawn and animated 2D game looks crap compared to the latest 3D game du jeour with it's fake plastic looking characters.

Well when I get beaten online by a poor player it really is all my fault. I'll admit that without blaming the game.

I blame the playstation if PES fecks me over offline.

Thats different though the game really does cheat on higher difficulty levels.

• Advertisement

I often hear my brother screaming about the same thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Mediocrity receiving praise really annoys the tits out of me.

Lag

Bullet sponges (Halo, Uncharted, Gears)

The fact that QA is non existent these days

DLC the rip off that it is

Trying to appeal to wider audiences but diluting your franchise as a result (Forza 3)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Going down ladders in FPSs...

MOH:Underground for the PS1 drove me mad from dying cause I couldn't go down ladders without dying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Flin

Cut scenes you have to play through. Like in Assassins Creed, you have to walk around as other characters talk to you, so not only can you not skip the cut scene, you have to sit there and follow them around. Its pretty much the only thing that made me quit Assassins Creed after the 4th mission

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

creggy wrote: »
    Going down ladders in FPSs...

MOH:Underground for the PS1 drove me mad from dying cause I couldn't go down ladders without dying...

I miss health packs though....I remember playing MOH: underground and I got my ass kicked somewhere and I really had to work hard before I got to the next heatlhpack. There was definite anxiety with each corner I turned that I would be ambushed. There was no run, hide and regenerate health.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

sarumite wrote: »
    I could not disagree more....yes the people who made Batman: AA obviously wanted it to sell well, but you get the feeling that it was also a labour of love for them. Halo:ODST has about as much love in it as a westlife cover version.

So, basically, you liked arkham asylum and not ODST so one is a labour of love and the other is soulless abomination?

Gotcha. I stand by my earlier statement that this complaint is complete arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

So, basically, you liked arkham asylum and not ODST so one is a labour of love and the other is soulless abomination?

The examples may be arse (batman had some pretty bad problems), but the complaint is valid. It is possible for a company to be entirely interested in making a lot of money while also having some pride in their work and wanting to put out great games. When companies start cutting corners out of sheer laziness (eg not putting characters in games because they are too lazy to program them like Mario Bros Wii, reusing the same boss over and over like Batman A:A or reusing large amounts of earlier levels like Devil May Cry 4) then it gets incredibly annoying. More so, when the games involved are otherwise quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

When you climb a really tall building in Assassin's Creed II, and you want to wall jump over to another building behind you. Then suddenly he dives into a bail of hay about 100ft down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,609 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It really grinds my gears when they're not the droids we're looking for.

And when I look at the release schedule for the next gen consoles and it seems to be nothing but God Of War clones, for fecks sake!

Also, fanboys, I flippin hate fanboys, every single one of them, you know them by they're over use of capitals, web abbreviations and exclaimation marks in they're posts, not to mention the really big set of blinkers they wear, poor gits!

Odd that there aren't any 360 fanboys, I guess it's hard to get behind the Microsoft brand as a place to be cool, ah well..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,776 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Quick Time Events

When used properly (to finish off an enemy a-la-God of War), it can be brilliant. But when it's used in cut-scenes it is just so damn annoying. Either you don't know there's going to be a QTE (like the first one in Bayonetta. I was scratching my head when suddenly I see an X appear on the screen and couldn't press it in time) I don't want to have to be poised and ready for every single cutscene just in case a QTE comes up.

Then there are the ones where the button prompt is so big that it takes over the screen.

Worst part is, most of these QTEs happen during cutscenes where your character is doing something amazing. Yet you can't watch it properly because you're looking for where the button prompt comes up. I don't want interactive cutscenes. The game itself is interactive enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

The whole Bungie 'Be a Hero' thing really annoys me. If you have €77,000 to donate to Haiti just do it, don't shamelessly use the cause to promote your game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Sabre0001 wrote: »

Noob-hating - Everyone has been there - a beginner...And yet, people will rage on people not doing so well. We're not all superstars! And neither are you or you'd be making some money out of gaming rather than thinking you're a hero because you can top an in-game table. Leave the noobs alone - yes, you're going to play on the team with beginners or bad players but get on with it...Casual games of soccer can be a laugh for all (even the guy with no ball control or skills) but yet, gaming (online) often cannot.

tbh, it depends on the game and whats going on. in games with skill adjusted servers and stat tracking its handy as you can filter the games for pr0s and n00bs depending. the biggest problem i have is that in a sepcific team game where everyone is obviously skilled and a n00b joins then it wrecks the entire game completely for the other 9 people involved. it changes what the game is supposed to be into a broken distortion of itself. it becomes the opponents feeding off the weak player and creating a big imbalance. often the n00b rages and then quits so its like "why did you join in the first place?"

n00bs thinking they are amazing and raging when they start fuking up and blaming it on everyone else is alsoa major annoyance. a lot of online gamers are completely unrealistic as to their skill level and cant take the fact that maybe they get out of their depth. there is nothing worse then a n00b thats a giant a$$hole to boot. a n00b who just doesnt know what they are doing, yeah i can understand, but just being pig ignorant about it is headwrecking.

xbox live and all it stands for also grinds my gears :)

edit - oh, and ppl playing rythym games at parties. i wanna ram that gay little plastic guitar down their friggin necks. and dont even get me started on the faggy plastic drums

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

ODST was paint by numbers Halo. There was nothing new, nothing interesting in it. It was a derivative halo FPS. Bungie can do better. AA had loads of bonus material, including bios on every major characters, they put a lot more thought and effort into making a game with the same price tag.
    Although I get the feeling you have decided what I think already so lets just agree to disagree and save ourselves a whole lot of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I think L31mr01d... is that how it's typed?... posted this in another thread, and I immediately though, yes, exactly!!!

Random QTE in the middle of a long cut-scene. Bayonetta has been throwing out a few recently, Resident Evil 4 was a pain for it, and I've a feeling Heavy Rain (which I'm very excited about) will feature them prominently.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,776 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think L31mr01d... is that how it's typed?... posted this in another thread, and I immediately though, yes, exactly!!!

Random QTE in the middle of a long cut-scene. Bayonetta has been throwing out a few recently, Resident Evil 4 was a pain for it, and I've a feeling Heavy Rain (which I'm very excited about) will feature them prominently.

Exactly. And with a game like Bayonetta where your hands can become sore trying to hit some of the combos etc, I prefer to release my grip on the controller during cutscenes. Even if I'm still holding it, I can relax my wrists and fingers a bit more. But instead, once you see one QTE in a cutscene, you know that every cutscene will potentially have a QTE, so you're constantly on edge.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

From what I've seen of heavy rain that's actually the main game mechanic no?

stevenmu wrote: »

But when something is the main game mechanic it's not random, it's expected. I know to be ready for it. EDIT: but yes, still a pain.

What I don't like is sitting there, enjoying a cut-scene then, as Paddy pointed out, scrambling to press the x button.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Exactly. And with a game like Bayonetta where your hands can become sore trying to hit some of the combos etc, I prefer to release my grip on the controller during cutscenes. Even if I'm still holding it, I can relax my wrists and fingers a bit more. But instead, once you see one QTE in a cutscene, you know that every cutscene will potentially have a QTE, so you're constantly on edge.

They're an annoyance, but theres only a few in the game. Once you realise that even if you do pay attention, you're likely to miss it first time anyway, you can sit back, accept the continue, and not make the mistake again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

stevenmu wrote: »

Pffft they're not games, they're not. They're interactive films. :P

Instead of having to press play, you have to press buttons in sequence.

Vegeta wrote: »
    Pffft they're not games, they're not. They're interactive films. :P

Instead of having to press play, you have to press buttons in sequence.

Truth. Even the director, David Cage doesn't refer to it as a game. I'm still looking forward to 'playing' it though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Problem is, if its gonna be an interactive 'movie' the 'movie' needs to be very good and not some b-movie shite like his other game was.

What annoys me in games is all the achievement and ranked crap. My main annoyance with this is, as a pc gamer, is what it did to BF2 compared to BF1942.

1942 was such a fantastic game, but it also had some fantastic mods, the biggest being Desert Combat which imo was better than 1942 itself. BF2 had some really promising mods going for it.

But noooooooo they added feckin ranked to it, ranked servers v non ranked servers meant most of the ignorant masses, people who cared more about points then gameplay, would only ever play on a ranked server.

Mods could not be ranked, so all the mods, pretty much died despite a lot of them being excellent. There was even a Desert Combat re-make :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

That being good at games doesn't get you women.

I'm utterly convinced that somewhere out there is a woman who'll fall for me when she sees my gamerscore or sees me play something really well. Yep...still waiting...

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

What grinds my gears?

Power-breathers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

1. underwater lvls
    2. when you use nuke in MW2 and called newb :P
    3. EA
    4. EA
    5. DRM
    6. EA DRM
    7. eircoms crap connection from 18:00-23:30 for the last 2 weaks :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Jazzy wrote: »
    edit - oh, and ppl playing rythym games at parties. i wanna ram that gay little plastic guitar down their friggin necks. and dont even get me started on the faggy plastic drums

This kind of homophobic language online, or in general for that matter. Faggy plastic drums?

I like the rise of casual party games because they're fun imo, simple as. Agree to disagree there

Advertisement