Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Grinds My Gears

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Grimebox wrote: »
    This kind of homophobic language online, or in general for that matter. Faggy plastic drums?

Eh... what are you talking about, those terms have nothing to do with homosexuals, they refer to bikers who drive loud Harley Davidsons :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Grimebox wrote: »
    This kind of homophobic language online, or in general for that matter. Faggy plastic drums?

I like the rise of casual party games because they're fun imo, simple as. Agree to disagree there

see le1mrods post for what i really meant.

and yes they are faggy plastic drums. rythym games at parties are highly faggy, simple as. leave the music to the professionals

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

Jazzy wrote: »
    tbh, it depends on the game and whats going on. in games with skill adjusted servers and stat tracking its handy as you can filter the games for pr0s and n00bs depending. the biggest problem i have is that in a sepcific team game where everyone is obviously skilled and a n00b joins then it wrecks the entire game completely for the other 9 people involved. it changes what the game is supposed to be into a broken distortion of itself. it becomes the opponents feeding off the weak player and creating a big imbalance. often the n00b rages and then quits so its like "why did you join in the first place?"

n00bs thinking they are amazing and raging when they start fuking up and blaming it on everyone else is alsoa major annoyance. a lot of online gamers are completely unrealistic as to their skill level and cant take the fact that maybe they get out of their depth. there is nothing worse then a n00b thats a giant a$$hole to boot. a n00b who just doesnt know what they are doing, yeah i can understand, but just being pig ignorant about it is headwrecking.

thats a rant against noobs in HoN if ever I have seen one - I swear i am developing an ulcer from playing with appalingly terrible gamers who join higher skilled gamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

tbh, it depends on the game and whats going on. in games with skill adjusted servers and stat tracking its handy as you can filter the games for pr0s and n00bs depending. the biggest problem i have is that in a sepcific team game where everyone is obviously skilled and a n00b joins then it wrecks the entire game completely for the other 9 people involved. it changes what the game is supposed to be into a broken distortion of itself. it becomes the opponents feeding off the weak player and creating a big imbalance. often the n00b rages and then quits so its like "why did you join in the first place?"

n00bs thinking they are amazing and raging when they start fuking up and blaming it on everyone else is alsoa major annoyance. a lot of online gamers are completely unrealistic as to their skill level and cant take the fact that maybe they get out of their depth. there is nothing worse then a n00b thats a giant a$$hole to boot. a n00b who just doesnt know what they are doing, yeah i can understand, but just being pig ignorant about it is headwrecking.

xbox live and all it stands for also grinds my gears :)

edit - oh, and ppl playing rythym games at parties. i wanna ram that gay little plastic guitar down their friggin necks. and dont even get me started on the faggy plastic drums

My god..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

edit - oh, and ppl playing rythym games at parties. i wanna ram that gay little plastic guitar down their friggin necks. and dont even get me started on the faggy plastic drums
    see le1mrods post for what i really meant.

and yes they are faggy plastic drums. rythym games at parties are highly faggy, simple as. leave the music to the professionals

Ok, this is a pretty bad comment to make, I used to play GH/RB and I play real guitar too... I think it's just a way to sit back relax and play a game thats fun to songs that I like.

By your logic, there are professional soldiers out there, we shouldn't play CS:S or CoD because they are out there doing it for real! If you don't like the games fair enough, they aren't the worst games out there. I can understand how you feel if your mates are all playing it at a party and your stuck with it though (Singstar and the like :mad: ) But I wouldn't say GH would be that "faggy" as you put it :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Boycott groups. Spend ages writing up petitions, starting websites and making angry forum posts about how the company has lost a customer.

Then they go out and buy it the day it's released "just to see what it was like". Their fickle ****headedness is exactly the reason game companies ignore consumer complaints. Are they really that ****ing stupid?

This especially goes for DLC. Speaking of which, I absolutely hate it when the developer decides to be a dick and cut some of the game's content so they can try and sell it to you a week after release. I hate the people who encourage it by buying it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Davidius wrote: »
    This especially goes for DLC. Speaking of which, I absolutely hate it when the developer decides to be a dick and cut some of the game's content so they can try and sell it to you a week after release. I hate the people who encourage it by buying it anyway.
    You should make an angry forum post about it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Nevore wrote: »
    You should make an angry forum post about it. ;)
    **** making a forum post, I'm going as far as is humanly possible.

That's right, I've started an online petition. If you were ****ting bricks at that last statement then you'll probably die from the shock you're about to recieve. I just sent it to the developers using my hotmail account. They'll know not to **** with me. :mad:

:pac:

Ok, this is a pretty bad comment to make, I used to play GH/RB and I play real guitar too... I think it's just a way to sit back relax and play a game thats fun to songs that I like.

By your logic, there are professional soldiers out there, we shouldn't play CS:S or CoD because they are out there doing it for real! If you don't like the games fair enough, they aren't the worst games out there. I can understand how you feel if your mates are all playing it at a party and your stuck with it though (Singstar and the like :mad: ) But I wouldn't say GH would be that "faggy" as you put it :p

aye. ya see at a party you want to talk to ppl and have fun and all that. when half the room gets sucked into kareoke it divides everything and you cant even play normal music because some drunken idiot is busy butchering lady gaga or one of those crappy emo songs on gaytar hero. the best parties ive been to have never involved staring at a screen and playing some rubbish song while the worst parties ive been to have. its no coincidence, rythym games ruin good times and stop the potential for fun, simple as

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I'm a professional musician. I play real drums and I've played those "faggy" ones.

All I can say is, you are completely missing the point of them.

Basic equation:

Booze + guitar hero et al = great craic

• Advertisement

Booze + guitar hero et al = great craic

no it doesnt. it leads to an uncomfortable atmosphere and ruins fun and actual interaction. its nothing but a lame distraction. and those drums look like a fisher price toy tbf

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

i agree with penguin.

i mean sure, its great craic, but i dont think a party is ruined by it. its not like people play them all night long, right? :confused:

normally a party at my place consists of a night of booze, chat, music until the early hours, thats when GH and RB are hopped out :pac:

no it doesnt. it leads to an uncomfortable atmosphere and ruins fun and actual interaction. its nothing but a lame distraction. and those drums look like a fisher price toy tbf

Really? Cos I was expecting them to be Pearl masterworks, triple ply mahogany with chrome finished hardware.

TBH I don't care that you don't like them being played at a party, but Jesus man just leave them at it and talk to someone, or chat up a bird or dance to some tunes. Plenty of things to do at a party other than complain about the sexuality of a computer game.

am i at a party or something? your post makes absolutely no sense. im complaining about them on boards.ie so unless im the nerdiest nerd out there and posting on the games section on boards at a party then maybe your post might make sense / be funny.
    fact of the matter is gaytar hero and its ilk disrupt and divide pretty much any party ive been at in which they are involved. any other music has to pretty much be turned off which is fukin bent as 90% of the songs on those rhythm games have been overplayed to death anyway. the best is when there is someone who is amazing at gaytar hero at a party and he wants to show off... get yer coat mate, you've pulled

Yes. Yes, you are at a party.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

troll_detected.png

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

gaytar hero

You go on to do it again!

rofl my lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,435 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd rather guitar hero at a party than some twat to break out his guitar and start sing real music like james blunt songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I am very annoyed by the way games are rated by reviewers.

MW2, a game pioneering nothing and inherently flawed in its gameplay, gets 9-10 while the saboteur, a game weaving a truly believable nazi occupied france combined with a fantastic visual style, and the most believable sandbox gameplay to date receives paltry reviews.

The characters and story are great, the visuals are great, the tension is great, it is a fantastic game, and it gets 70's, a disgrace.

Its no mirrors edge, but the xbox generation also shunned that in favor of the big marketing budget flavor of the month.

I'm sick of great games doing poorly, I loved saboteur, the accent made me laugh at times, and I forgave it and fell in love with Sean Devlin, he reminds me of me, I sound a bit like him too. But the game played on hard was perfect, I am so sad it is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

See Stercus, while I agree the game has a lot of heart, the technical and design flaws are so flagrant and unforgivable for €50 of a consumer's cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I found it flawless, no graphical errors, no glitches, no scripting errors for events, I have heard this argument, what was wrong with it that say didn't affect gta4?

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd rather guitar hero at a party than some twat to break out his guitar and start sing real music like james blunt songs.

dont get me started on those twats :mad: i prefer none of the above tho. just good old fashion conversation and craic :)

dont get me started on those twats :mad: i prefer none of the above tho. just good old fashion conversation and craic :)

frink2.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

dont get me started on those twats :mad: i prefer none of the above tho.

Agreed , they should be all playing Rockband 2 ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

People moaning that a game is too hard when in fact all that is wrong is that they have no patience and/or are just ****.

This actually reminds me of playing DMC1. It was just one of those games I didn't get. It even infuriated me more when mates in work were saying they completed it on the top difficulty. I think I got to level 2 or something in it, just threw the towel in then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

lafortezza wrote: »
    Unskippable cut scenes..

A few minutes after reading this I start playing Splinter Cell (the original) and I feel the pain of not being able to skip scenes! :(

noodler wrote: »
    frink2.gif

dont get it noodler. can you complete carry on my wayward son on hurt me plenty or something?

dont get it noodler. can you ... carry on my wayward son

There'll be peace when yoooooooou aaaaaaaarrrrrrrreeeeee gooonnnneeeeeeee!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

MW2, a game pioneering nothing and inherently flawed in its gameplay, gets 9-10 while the saboteur, a game weaving a truly believable nazi occupied france combined with a fantastic visual style, and the most believable sandbox gameplay to date receives paltry reviews.

The characters and story are great, the visuals are great, the tension is great, it is a fantastic game, and it gets 70's, a disgrace.

Its no mirrors edge, but the xbox generation also shunned that in favor of the big marketing budget flavor of the month.

I'm sick of great games doing poorly, I loved saboteur, the accent made me laugh at times, and I forgave it and fell in love with Sean Devlin, he reminds me of me, I sound a bit like him too. But the game played on hard was perfect, I am so sad it is over.

I totally agree with what you are saying here. It is like as if a game that does not hit the 95% mark, it is not worth playing.

Perfect example- Batman Arkham Asylum, I know, this old chestnut! If the rumours are true about eidos offering magazines early reviews ONLY if the game gets a front page and 95% plus in the score. They were ****ting themselves incase the game would not sell. In all fairness it well deserved the mark. I even felt it was harshly reviewed by some (maybe because of this)

The hype is such a strong factor as well. It would seem that the review would be written before a hand would have touched a controller. Gears of War 2 94% average in metacritic? Not the game I played.

I think it was touched here before, but a good solution would be a recap of a game 6 months from now, to remove the influence the hype monster creates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Didnt you get the memo? Modern Warfare 2 is the greatest game of all time, because you can call in helicopters that do the killing for you in multiplayer. Thats progress people..a game that plays itself.

Advertisement