Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Spain - good idea?

Options
  • 17-01-2010 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

hi guys,
    Thinking about up and leaving my job (for my own sanity) and heading to to Spain to live in Barcelona for a while (a year at least). I have no savings but what will be my last paycheck (around 2 grand) and deposit on apartment (700).
    Am i an idiot for thinking this can work out with so little savings? Basically i'm more than happy to work in a bar and maybe teach English on the side. Is there much work going out there in bars and the likes?
    Is there a better city, not necessarily in Spain, that one could fly into and pretty much hit the ground running in terms of cheaper rent and more jobs?
    Also anyone else who has experience living in Barcelona who could maybe recommend what areas to look for accommodation/work in the city i'd be extremely grateful.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

hi guys,
    Thinking about up and leaving my job (for my own sanity) and heading to to Spain to live in Barcelona for a while (a year at least). I have no savings but what will be my last paycheck (around 2 grand) and deposit on apartment (700).
    Am i an idiot for thinking this can work out with so little savings? Basically i'm more than happy to work in a bar and maybe teach English on the side. Is there much work going out there in bars and the likes?
    Is there a better city, not necessarily in Spain, that one could fly into and pretty much hit the ground running in terms of cheaper rent and more jobs?
    Also anyone else who has experience living in Barcelona who could maybe recommend what areas to look for accommodation/work in the city i'd be extremely grateful.
    Thanks

I know everything there is to know about Barcelona. What exactly do you want to know?
    Jobs are available in irish and english bars, not that many but if you have bar experience this will help. I can tell u which bars to apply to as I have drank in all of them.
    A room in a shared flat in a good area will cost about 300 euro per month. Some advertised prices are higher but you can get a good place for this. 250 euro per month is the lower limit. Keep out of Raval, rough place.

anything else? Madrid is also a good city, easier to get work as an english teacher as there is not as much competition. Barcelona is full of wannabe english teachers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

mike kelly wrote: »
    I know everything there is to know about Barcelona. What exactly do you want to know?
    Jobs are available in irish and english bars, not that many but if you have bar experience this will help. I can tell u which bars to apply to as I have drank in all of them.
    A room in a shared flat in a good area will cost about 300 euro per month. Some advertised prices are higher but you can get a good place for this. 250 euro per month is the lower limit. Keep out of Raval, rough place.

anything else? Madrid is also a good city, easier to get work as an english teacher as there is not as much competition. Barcelona is full of wannabe english teachers.

Thanks mate, i'll avoid Raval :) What areas have you lived in and did you think were best? Somewhere close to Plaza De Catalunya/Ramblas might suit better, purely because i'm a bit more familiar with those areas but if there's some areas you reckon might be better from your experience? Around the 300 mark is great, i could stretch to 400 i suppose. What bars would be best to apply for do you think? Cheers again, I'll have a look into Madrid as well definitely keep my options open on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

Definitely best area to live in is Eixample, as long as you are not in a street full of late night bars. Best irish bars to try are Flahertys, Michael Collins, all the places on calle Ferran and off the Rambla, O'Briens on Casanova / Diagonal and Scobies (near Plaza Cat)

price of a flat depends on how many are sharing but sharing with 2 others for 300 is fine.

www.loquo.com is the best place to look.

try also http://www.catalunya-classified.com/

don't pay more than one month in advance and be wary of scams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

mike kelly wrote: »
    Definitely best area to live in is Eixample, as long as you are not in a street full of late night bars. Best irish bars to try are Flahertys, Michael Collins, all the places on calle Ferran and off the Rambla, O'Briens on Casanova / Diagonal and Scobies (near Plaza Cat)

price of a flat depends on how many are sharing but sharing with 2 others for 300 is fine.

www.loquo.com is the best place to look.

try also http://www.catalunya-classified.com/

don't pay more than one month in advance and be wary of scams

much appreciated advice mate thanks loads for that

Advertisement