Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Auschwitz - Birkenau Slideshow

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I like it, processing is good to with a uniformity between all the pictures which helps draw it all together. Music fits in very well too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,274 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Was it difficult to get permission to shoot inside the buildings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

As far as I remember you can shoot all you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Did they get the sign back? I remember it was robbed about a month ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Sign was indeed returned

Nice slideshow (not sure if "nice" is the correct term given the subject) but well tied together and keeps you interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭woytek_tzn

spurious wrote: »
    Was it difficult to get permission to shoot inside the buildings?

Thx guys.You have to apply for that.I send them email and they agreed then they gave me permission on paper + sticker (photo permision).You cannot shoot in all locations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Cool, very timely as I am heading there in a few weeks and was not sure if was going to apply for photo permission but now I think I will.

Does it give you more or less total freedom to shoot?
    Excellent slideshow, nicely put together and the story flows well through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

I was there in 1993 and there was no restriction on photography, but I assume that's changed.

It's funny how you have to shoot it in black and white. It was a beautiful sunny day when I was there but all the colour shots we took just look strange. We had a 120mm Bronica loaded with B&W and they came out great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

was there a few months ago and the 'law' is that you can only shoot outside. Once inside they say you shouldnt take any photos as it would be offensive. I guess the nature of the place they dont want a million cameras going off.

My advice was to hang back in the group and wear thea camera around yer neck, and if the odd shot accidentally goes off then oops.

heres some i did earlier.. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=119135&id=582697704&l=13dffdaebf

shepthedog wrote: »
    Cool, very timely as I am heading there in a few weeks and was not sure if was going to apply for photo permission but now I think I will.

Does it give you more or less total freedom to shoot?
    Excellent slideshow, nicely put together and the story flows well through it.

Inside you cannot and they will hunt you if you do,especially now after sign affair.You can send them email here is PR Secretary,I'm sure she can speak english,you have to provide them good reason I think...

http://en.auschwitz.org.pl/m/index.php?option=com_contact&task=view&contact_id=81&Itemid=4

she's nice btw:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

good slideshow! a lot of the shots are immediately recognisable, as I've stood (like so many others, I guess )in the exact same place.
    I couldn't believe it when i heard that the sign had been robbed - like how did they manage to sneak it down?? cut it up and carry it away.

when i was there you could take outside shots only in The Auschwitz (smaller) camp, in the Birkenau Complex you could shoot anywhere, I even took shots from inside the Guard Room that is on top of the 'Gate of Death'
    The hardest part (photographically wise) was trying to get shots without lots & lots of people milling about!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,274 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They have always had the restriction on photography inside the buildings - I was first there in 1984 and even then they had it. Mind you, then they showed a lot more horrific stuff that they don't seem to include on the standard tour anymore.

I like your photos woytek_tzn.
    Sa one bardzo szacunkiem fotografie.
    ??Przepraszam za moje bledy

It's a good idea to try get there before the tours arrive. A good way is to get a private hire car to leave Krakow at about 8am - then you're in the memorial an hour before the bus loads arrive from ten onwards.

spurious wrote: »
    They have always had the restriction on photography inside the buildings - I was first there in 1984 and even then they had it. Mind you, then they showed a lot more horrific stuff that they don't seem to include on the standard tour anymore.

I like your photos woytek_tzn.
    Sa one bardzo szacunkiem fotografie.
    ??Przepraszam za moje bledy

It's a good idea to try get there before the tours arrive. A good way is to get a private hire car to leave Krakow at about 8am - then you're in the memorial an hour before the bus loads arrive from ten onwards.

Bardzo dziekuje ;)

The best time to avoid crowds is after guided tour,5pm Auschwitz is open till gettin dark during the summer so even if you go there at 6 it will be grand.Before 5 pm there's huge ammount of people visiting.

Guys I'm going to Pripyat and Chernobyl in Ukraine in March 25-28 ,anybody wants to join?Pm me if do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Well, it feels you've been there for the first time. Nice shots, but hardly telling a little more about the place.
    Believe me, you'll bring better pictures next time.
    Maybe I am also biased by the presentation, I am not the biggest fan of slide shows on youtube and such.

ThOnda wrote: »
    Well, it feels you've been there for the first time. Nice shots, but hardly telling a little more about the place.
    Believe me, you'll bring better pictures next time.
    Maybe I am also biased by the presentation, I am not the biggest fan of slide shows on youtube and such.

Thonda I'm not a pro ,I wont be going there especially for the best Auschwitz picture of the year,I don't even have my own website now,not even Flickr account:D

Advertisement