Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First-Year Accommodation?

Options
  • 17-01-2010 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hey guys:D Just wondering when should I start booking my accommodation for next september? As I've heard that some places are booked out already!:eek: But not sure if that's true...I will more than likely be studying radiography and would like to know where is the best place to stay for first-years? And where to avoid?!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Well someone is keen. Don't worry about it, I can't see places being booked out for next year already and even if there are they will always be places somewhere else! When you get accepted you'll be able to apply for on campus accommodation. I highly recommend being on campus for your first year as you get to do lots of club and soc stuff without worrying about getting a bus back home.

Basically, get your LC out of the way and once you get your results, then worry!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

I was always under the impression that looking for somewhere in between LC results and college offerings was early 0.o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Woah slow down, you can't apply for accommodation til a few days after you've accepted your CAO offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Do the leavin first, worry about accommodation later. I didn't even have the money to move up to Dublin after my leaving cert and this was in 2006 when accommodation was a nightmare to get! Seriously though, when you get your CAO offer that's when you start looking, not beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 chezza

Well I have my LC done already since June 09, so I'm usually not this organised!ha Oh...I didn't realise that UCD did things differently. Last year some of (the most popular) places in Galway and Cork were booked out in February! And I was told to wait until August to see if there would be any cancellations...
    Can anyone tell me where the best place for a first year anywa? Just so I'll have an idea.:D Because I don't know of a lot people that went to Ucd.. and missed out on the openday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Open day is meaningless, if you're going for on-campus then you'll be pigeon holed in either Merville or Belgrove. Personally I wouldn't stay on-campus, it's too expensive and not the worth the hassle with barriers and all that racket, even if you are a fart away from the college.
    Now, I used to do housing research for NUI Maynooth and south Dublin has seen the biggest drop in rents, last year rents dropped by 17% and even higher in certain locations (depending of course on what part of south Dublin). At the moment tenants have all the power and there's tons of choice (housing market is way over supplied) and lots of landlords are desperate just to keep up the mortgage repayments on these second, third or fourth properties.
    So the best thing to do is get familiar with Daft and take the time to look for a place. The best thing about living off-campus is that you make more friends with house mates, and in some cases these can be some of the best friends you make.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

it depends on the person,I know when I came up first of all I had no hope of finding my way round so on campus was good. now a semester later it's starting to grate a little

but you'll be fine getting accomodation,they didn't fill all apartments this year at all, if you book when the results come out you'll be in plenty of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

Living on campus is so so expensive but I have to say I've made some amazing friends through it :)

However if you can live in goats town for like 3000-3500 for the year opposed to UCD accom which is 4288 for the year plus electricity plus 4.50 a week for washing............

If you go with UCD, you can apply for accom I think a week after through the SIS web or if you're gonna live in a house start looking a month before hand, and don't live in griffith college halls. just don't :P people who go to a business school aren't fun, especially the internationals who actually want to be there and study all the time

Advertisement