Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things to do in Madrid/Salamanca/Oporto!!

• 17-01-2010 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I'm going to Madrid on the 27th January, crossing over to Salamanca for a while, then onto Porto until I go home. Can anyone recommend anything special to see or do while in these cities apart from the usual tourist attractions that everybody sees? I'll probably spend most of my time in Madrid, any partying areas I should know of...or some really good clubs?? Salamanca, never there, seems to have lots of history associated with it. Much of a nightlife there?

And Oporto...great city, was there before...want to see more...!!!

Any advice, can't wait to jet off!!!!!!!!

Thanks!! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 summertime1234

anyone?? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can try searching the forum.
    On the forum page look for the search option:

35130.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 summertime1234

haha....thanks for that! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

I don't really know what you are into, but I'll throw out a few things.

First off, if you are in Madrid: GET OUT OF SOL!!!

If you are there on a Friday, get a copy of El Pais; it will have the weekend insert. Even if you don't really speak Spanish, they will have general listings of bars and restaurants by scene and neighborhood.

Barrios to party...
    It has a mixed rep, but I really like Lavapies (on the #3 yellow line). Try Calle Argumosa in Lavapies (but know some Spanish) for cool bars (and cheap: beers are 1.30-1.50 in most places). There are also lots of cool bars on Calle de Santa Ana, coming up from the plaza (there are good hookah bars on this street too). This neighborhood doesn't have as many tourists, and the scene is more laid back and definitely local, and the "locals" are a weird mix of retired madrilenos, young immigrants, Spanish hipsters, and international students. People will try to sell you cans of beer on the street and some may offer "chocolate"; this makes some tourists uncomfortable, but it's generally a safe area and the bars are packed so there are people out until 3-4am. It's useful to speak some basic spanish. Things don't really pick up until late around here (after 11-12). However, if you go to the Reina Sofia during the day (and you should go just to see Guernica, if you haven't been), Calle Argumosa is also a good place to have lunch - you can get a 3-course meal (starter, main, dessert + drink and bread) for around 10 euro.

For clubs with dancing, try Malasana (check the listings, or just get off the Metro at #1 metro Tribunal) and wander around until you find something you like). Malasana is to the left of Fuencarral; Chueca (another neighborhood with a lot of nightclubs and a big gay scene) is to the right. Check the website for Sala Heineken to see who is in town if you'd like to hear some live music (or, again, just wander around until you hear/see something you like). Again, a late scene (dinner at 10, party after 12).

For eats... :)
    Go to the Mercado San Martin which is past Plaza Mayor heading away from Sol - this is great drinks/tapas hopping all in one place. It's a traditional Madrid market that was renovated, and it is usually full of people in the evenings. It's worth checking out, even if you aren't going to stay for long. Try the vermouth (there is something else in it too, but just ask for "vermut") at the olive stand. The line is worth the wait for the cod fritters at the bacalao stand. From here you can wander through the Plaza Mayor (but don't eat here it is insanely overpriced and touristy) down to Cava Baja, which is packed with bars and restaurants - this is another fun area. The pizza at Emma y Julia's is amazing.

IF you stay in Sol, avoid O'Neill's/Dubliners/O'Connell Street and their overpriced beer and check out La Venecia, an ancient sherry bar at the edge of Sol; it looks like they haven't changed anything since the 1940s, and a giant cat keeps watch over the back room. There is a cool bar down the street from Dubliners (forget the name; it's away from Plaza Sol), but they serve large canas, and give you a healthy-sized tapa with it for 2 euro. You can't miss it because there are tile mosaics of naked women all over the facade. Just off of Plaza Santa Ana off on Calle del Prado there is a great Cuban restaurant; the 10 euro menu isn't that great, but the moros y cristianos and the platanos are to die for, and the dinners here are good (and big). Most of the waitresses speak English. At the edge of Sol on Calle Mayor, be sure to get a napolitana and cafe con leche at the counter in La Mallorquina bakery (don't be afraid of the crowds, just elbow your way in - this is a very madrileno thing to do). On Calle Leon in Las Letras (behind Sol) there are a lot of cool little places; Bar Piola is a good place to recover in the late afternoon (as most places are closed for siesta). There is a tiny Mexican place that makes tostones (sandwiches) on Calle Leon that are not only AWESOME, but are only like 5 euro, and are cooked to order. There is good live jazz in Plaza Angel.

If you end up at O'Neill's at the end of the night, that's ok ;)...but it will be a lot cheaper to get the bulk of your drinking in away from that area earlier on.

Finally, if you really want to get local, go to Casa Mingo (near the Principe Pio metro) for the world's best roasted chicken on a Sunday afternoon. Yes the waiters can be cranky and they will unceremoniously dump your tasty and delicious hunks of crusty, chewy bread on the table, but it's worth it. Go with others (they will only serve you a whole chicken) and be prepared to wait if you arrive between 1:45 and 3.

Good lord this is long! Sorry. Madrid is an awesome city; I love living here and I'm sorry I'm leaving soon. Have fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

• Advertisement
Advertisement