Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slings for babies (ring-slings)

Options
  • 17-01-2010 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone use a sling for their little ones & does anyone know where I can get a "ring sling" - its a sling with a ring type clasp on it so you can tighten it etc.

I saw it at an ante-natal class and been told it was the best type.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I had one for all my kids and I think they are brilliant. I had cranky clingy children that refused to settle, but they all loved the sling. Plus, it was a great cover-up if I was breastfeeding in public.

Google "baby ring sling Ireland" and you should find plenty of suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

check on rollercoaster, there is a thread on slings and there is a sling library somewhere where you can rent slings from. if i find a link i'll post it.
    I was baba sling and loved. www.babaslings.co.uk
    there is also a babywearing fair every year if you watch out for it.

links:
    http://www.rollercoaster.ie/boards/forum.asp?GroupID=57&forumdb=3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 laughingtoaster

hi,

ring slings are good but its a matter of personal preference (I prefer a wrap).

go to www.babywearingireland.com and look in the "Meet Up" forum for a meeting in your area. there are informal meetings held around the country where you can meet people with an interest in carrying babies in a sling. you can try different slings and most importantly have someone show you how to use them and hear their experiences of different types and brands.

on the website you will also find information on the sling library, where you can borrow slings for a few weeks (you have to pay for postage).
    thats how I started and can't imagine not having a sling now - its great for going places that are not buggy friendly and also for babies with wind/colic/reflux who need to be held or kept upright.

if you can't make a meeting, you can post questions on babywearing ireland and find instructions on how to use the slings.

for a ring sling you need to make sure that it has good quality fabric and that it is easily adjustable

best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I've used http://www.littleacorns.ie/ a few times and found it good. I got the bara born ring sling off them and find it great. I'm not sure that there's a best type of sling though - it's a matter of personal preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

I've also used littleacorns.ie and found them great. I tried the baba sling but it didn't suit me because all the weight was on one shoulder so I got backache. But I bought a wrap sling from littleacorns and it's brilliant. The baby loves it as much as I do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭lowdenclear

If you're any good with the ol' sewing machine, they're very easy to make... http://www.mayawrap.com/n_sewsling.php :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi I'm looking for a ring sling, second hand preferably, for my 10 month old! Tried 1 recently and found if very comfortable,
    Thanks for the advice
    Robel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

join the babywearing ireland facebook page, that page has the most traffic for buying & selling & advice of all the babywearing pages.

Alternatively you can buy or hire slings from babywearing ireland or koalacubs.ie - hiring is a great way of trying out slings before forking out money. I have a ring sling & wasn't too pushed on it, so defo a good idea either hiring or getting to a meet up to try a few styles out. If you do buy a genuine sling however, the resale value is brilliant, so you shouldn't have any issues reselling if you find it doesn't suit.

I wouldn't recommend making your own unless you really know what you're doing & know the fabric is strong enough etc. Far too dangerous if anything went wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Robel wrote: »
    Hi I'm looking for a ring sling, second hand preferably, for my 10 month old! Tried 1 recently and found if very comfortable,
    Thanks for the advice
    Robel.

Are you still looking for one? We have one ring sling,a wrap and a manduca. Will ask the boss if we can sell it.

This is the one we have:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B003D7P91C

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

tk maxx often have them too.

I have 2 baba slings and an Ergo.

I love them all but only got the Ergo on my 3rd and he is huge,it is useless for nursing but great for long walks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement