Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irelands Broadband Speed rating goes up 73% according to Akamai

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Akamai joined INEX last year bring its content servers closer to all Irish ISP's at the exchange. Could have been a significant contributing factor to this result...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

My parents could only get 56k dial up connection up to last year. Now they have a 3Mb broadband connection in the hart of the country. A significant progress.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Actually the report is dire , Ireland has

1. The HIGHEST NUMBER of SLOW ( sub 256k) connections in ALL of Europe in relative terms.

2. The LOWEST NUMBER of AVERAGE SPEED ( over 2mbit) Connections in ALL of Europe in Relative terms.

akamaiq22009.jpg

we are lower mid table for HIGH SPEED ip addresses over 5mbits .

The average speed is distorted by a limited number of super fast connections, university and mobile network caches no doubt .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Actually the report is dire , Ireland has

1. The HIGHEST NUMBER of SLOW ( sub 256k) connections in ALL of Europe in relative terms.

2. The LOWEST NUMBER of AVERAGE SPEED ( over 2mbit) Connections in ALL of Europe in Relative terms.

akamaiq22009.jpg

we are lower mid table for HIGH SPEED ip addresses over 5mbits .

The average speed is distorted by a limited number of super fast connections, university and mobile network caches no doubt .
    There have been great strides in the last year tho to improve our broadband largely from UPC who have recently upgraded there broadband to 30mb/s and plan to go to 100mb/s this year these kind of improvements have helped significantly I would Imagine in the last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

You must remember that UPC are a bit player when it comes to Irish Broadband penetration figures, very few subscribers in the overall picture.

• Advertisement

And any people that are lucky enough to get the amazing super fast 2/3 MB/s speeds cant even utilise them because of the crippling download limits. BT just limited me (again) this morning for hitting the 100gigs transfer over last 30 days just when i need to get two assignments researched......sigh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

UPC are more than a bit player but only have a localised effect I would argue.

1. The number of caches/gateways in Ireland is so high that the download speed from Akamai is the highest in europe on average, that is because the cache gets the download not the client....who gets it from the cache. All of 3 Irelands customers were behind 1 IP address for a long time , I understand they now have up 16 IP addresses in use. Yet the internal performance for mobile networks is dire. Akamai cannot measure that as the internal IP addresses are non routable.

2. The number of 2mbit plus connections, OVERALL is the lowest in Europe. Telcos that do not use network caches such as eircom have not increased market share or speeds overall. Telcos that do use network caches such as the mobile operators and UPC have increased market share.

3. In Q3 2008 45% of Irish connections to an Akamai cache were at 2mbit or higher. In Q3 2009 that was 46%. The same. Akamai caches serve all windows service packs and security fixes by the way. The speed figure is a new one in the surveys since q3 2008.

4. However more of the 2mbit+ connections are at 5mbit+. 20% of 2mbit+ connections are at 5mbit + ( 9.4% out of the 46%)

5. 54% of connections are at sub 2mbit speed, the highest number of sub 2mbit connections in all of Europe.

6. Of the 54% of connections at 2mbit speed or less 6% are sub 256k speeds. ( 3.4% of the overall sample)

7. Ireland has the highest percentage of sub 2mbit AND SEPARATELY of sub 256k connections in all of the European countries.

apart from the survey data

A. UPC only pass 30% of homes with BB and feck all businesses. How does a business get the 30mbit cable package I ask you ????
    B. UPC only passes 40% of homes with cable, it does not pass the other 60% and is not building out to them
    C. UPC is concentrating on speed ramping the 30% and building out to the unserved 10% that it passes.

Advertisement