Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recent storm damage & 123.ie

Options
  • 17-01-2010 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi,

In the recent bad weather my home & car were damaged, as well as the partitions in the rear garden (wooden fencing).

The car was parked in the drive & the bonnet was damaged by an end cap from the roof. The car is a 5 door, 2008 Mazda 2 Sport. Metropolitan Grey Mica in colour.

The assessor from 123.ie (Travellers Insurance) came tho the house to inspect the damage. I had recorded the damage on the day of the storm but the assessor wasn't interested in seeing the footage?

He looked at the roof from the road & said it seemed 'fine'. He did the same in the back.

The garden also flooded with about 4 inches of water there.

The assessor said the car wasn't covered by the policy, which I find hard to believe.

He said that the flooded garden was 'only water'!

Can anyone advise me if the car is covered as it was damaged by the endcap from the roof.

Also a flooded garden would appear to be subsidance to me.

Finally, how can an assessor assess roof damage without even going up on the roof to inspect it???

Thinking of getting an independent assessor (from insuranceworks.ie) to come out.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I'm afraid I'd be inclined to agree with the assessor on both counts.

You could try claiming on your car insurance for the damage to the car bonnet. Domestic buildings insurance is concerned with damage to the structure itself rather than any damage pieces of the structure 'may have' caused to anything else that you own. I'm sure the assessor is also of the opinion that the bonnet damage could potentially have been caused by anything.

Also, in relation to the flooding in the garden, what remedy are you seeking via the insurance company? Perhaps you didn't mention additional damage in your first post - but is the fact the garden flooded the issue rather than the flooding in the garden causing any damage? If it's a case that the flooding itself leads you to believe there may be subsidence I can't see what the insurance company could reasonably be expected to do - there is no insurable event in that scenario?

Perhaps give the independent assessor a call and ask their advice. If you feel the insurer's assessor hasn't acted to your satisfaction then contact your insurer and ask for a second opinion. Their claims handlers will discuss the merits of each of your queries - and they'll be more familiar with your policy wording than any boardsies. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I agree with pow wow. You cannot claim for damage to your own vehicle under a household policy on account of the fact it has its own 'more specific' cover (motor insurance) and the fact that it is not an insured item on the schedule.
    Standard insurance practice worldwide I'm afraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

El Gato wrote: »

The car is a 5 door, 2008 Mazda 2 Sport. Metropolitan Grey Mica in colour.

Thanks for clearing that up, if it was red it would have been covered:pac:

Advertisement