Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

a4 or 407

• 17-01-2010 6:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

thinking or trading in this year. what would you pick

2004 basic audi a4 diesel. with about 80000 miles
    or
    2006 peugeot 407 1.6hdi. with about 60000 miles

im just guessing with miles as an average from those for sale in carzone

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

First time I'll say it, but A4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A4. odd shortlist though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Another for the a4 here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

whats the basic diesel engine in the a4 . is it 1.9 also what bhp would it be. are they the b5.5 engines

AFAIK 100bhp 1.9 is the basic engine.

• Advertisement

would one want to get the 130bhp realistically. it would be nice to have something which would push you back in your seat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Nah, nothing says 'I'm a prick AND a sheep' like the Audi A4. Besides, the 407 is much better looking and probably more reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

The 407 has a better engine, is better to drive (more sophisticated suspension), suffers with less cab noise, and has a less dated interior.

The audi does have serious badge appeal though? Actually a tough choice...

ya thats the thing with the audi your paying the extra for just the badge. at the end of the day the peugeot will be newer. a much fresher design. probably will have more gadgets than the audi. its just as big. probably a bit more economical, powerful and the tax is cheaper. the only appealing thing about the audi is saying that "i drive an audi". there hard enough to find too with low mileage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

GERMAN ROCKS...I think you put it all in a nut shell there...:)

The main issues with the 1.6hdi 407's are Dmf's and Dpfs @ around 100kish.
    But that goes for most modern diesels today..:rolleyes:

With the 407's your getting a well kitted car for its money and the 1.6 hdi is well able to pull a nearly 1.5 ton car on while returning mid 50's in mpg....:)

Some good info here... www.407owners.com/forums

• Advertisement

Suppose the C5 is worth a look then

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Suppose the C5 is worth a look then

The current C5 only came out last year. The previous model isn't a patch on the 407 IMO?

pajo1981 wrote: »
    The current C5 only came out last year. The previous model isn't a patch on the 407 IMO?

That's what I'm wondering, it shares loads with the Pug, personally I wouldn't buy a 407, but I wonder how worse a C5 actually is?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That's what I'm wondering, it shares loads with the Pug, personally I wouldn't buy a 407, but I wonder how worse a C5 actually is?

Although they do share some parts the 407's interior is at least half a generation ahead of the C5 - also the 407 is a far superior drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Time to start test driving.....:)
    I have both a 406 and a 407 and while the 407 is brilliant with road holding
    i still think the 406 has a softer and floating ride compaired to a slightly
    harder ride of the 407...But then with the tpms requiring 38psi pressure in
    the tyres its no wonder...:rolleyes::):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

That 1.6 in the 407 would be the slowest of all engine options, doing 0-60 in just under 12 sec. Not gonna get any shoves with that.

Ironcally the 1.9 A4 100bhp seems to be even slower, 0-60 in over 12 sec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

pajo1981 wrote: »
    The 407 has a better engine, is better to drive (more sophisticated suspension), suffers with less cab noise, and has a less dated interior.

The A4 has multi-link suspension, which I think is pretty much the best you can get.

Also, despite the A4 being an older car, I think it has aged far better than the 407 and looks more contemporary. The fact that they turned it into the Exeo is testament to this imo.

VolvoMan wrote: »
    The A4 has multi-link suspension, which I think is pretty much the best you can get.

Also, despite the A4 being an older car, I think it has aged far better than the 407 and looks more contemporary. The fact that they turned it into the Exeo is testament to this imo.

I though the 407 was the first in its class to offer the 5-link type suspension - there are different type of multilink suspension.

Read the reviews: the 407's chassis is usually praised, with the old A4's often being criticized for being overly taut.

Advertisement