Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trading in a More Expensive Car

• 17-01-2010 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

I was just wondering if you were trading in a car which was worth more than the new car you were buying, would a main dealer do this without a cash transaction. I have an 08 Golf tsi, which is worth about 17/18k, but I want to get a new Polo (don't ask it's a long story), which are selling for about 15/16k.
    If I went back to the garage where I bought the car, do you think they'd do a deal without me having to part with any cash?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

The answer is no, they wont, but I think you might get a surprise if you think a 08 Golf (1.4 or 2.0?)Tsi is worth 17 grand on trade in.

Sell it privately and then buy the Polo for cash at a better price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭gorfield

Try about 11k for your car, i just got offered 8k for mine 07.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭rodberg007

I don't think your Golf is worth that amount of money but you would be changing for a very small amount - depending on what condition and mileage on trade-in. The new Polo is nice alright and there's alot of interest in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭rodberg007

gorfield wrote: »
    Try about 11k for your car, i just got offered 8k for mine 07.

I was thinking more like 10,500 as a trade-in allowance but remember that figure is not a retail price - the price you see them advertised for on Carzone or cbg.ie...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭beachlife

Is 17/18 the trade in value or the dealer value? If the figures add up then yes,I know people who have traded in a two year old car for a new model with no cash changing hands. Also know someone who traded in a very high value car for a new lower value car and got money off the dealer(although he didn't get a great deal).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Honda08

greyc wrote: »
    I was just wondering if you were trading in a car which was worth more than the new car you were buying, would a main dealer do this without a cash transaction. I have an 08 Golf tsi, which is worth about 17/18k, but I want to get a new Polo (don't ask it's a long story), which are selling for about 15/16k.
    If I went back to the garage where I bought the car, do you think they'd do a deal without me having to part with any cash?

my advice is sell your car privately ... then take your money and off to the uk, and buy a nice low mileage, better spec car in the uk.. a lot of Irish dealers still have their head up their arse :eek::D:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

I know I was been offered 14-15k for my 08 5dr 140 tsi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭sillysocks

No idea on your actual trade in values but I did trade in a car in the middle of last year where the values of the two cars were similar and we eventually agreed on me paying just €200 for the one I wanted - depends on the garage I'd imagine. Other garages were looking for 2k cash when I was changing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think VW Ireland will sell all the new Polos they can get their hands on. I'd rather have one sitting in stock than an 08 Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭greyc

Thanks for the replies, I guess I was basing the value on the prices on Carzone where similar cars to mine are about 19/20k but I know that's an asking price not a selling price and trade in values are even less, but I wouldn't give any dealer the satisfaction of handing over my car for 10 or 11k.
    I might try selling it privately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

OP, this might help you if you go down this road

vaseline.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

Ask the dealer! I was offered a trade and cash back before - same situation as you my car was worth more..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 fog.light.hater

I do a lot a business with a large vw/audi dealer and at the moment they would be standing/costing an 08 golf tsi about 12k if taking it in against a new polo and the customer would be offered a trade in figure of between 13 to 13.5k depending on condition.......carzone seems to give people a very rosy view of what their car might be worth come trade in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

MarkN wrote: »
    Ask the dealer! I was offered a trade and cash back before - same situation as you my car was worth more..

+1

Ask!

Cash back deals were always unusual, and now even more so with the credit crunch. But not impossible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

I do a lot a business with a large vw/audi dealer and at the moment they would be standing/costing an 08 golf tsi about 12k if taking it in against a new polo and the customer would be offered a trade in figure of between 13 to 13.5k depending on condition.......carzone seems to give people a very rosy view of what their car might be worth come trade in time.

Selling privately and a trade in price are two different things. Don't know why you're even comparing. Only gonna confuse the lad more!

Advertisement