Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying in the mornings before school?

Options
  • 17-01-2010 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

I know this sounds insane to some bit since I wasted my Xmas hols doing eff all I have decided to wake up for morning prayers consistently from now on ( I'm a muslim lol ) and afterwards I'm gonna start studying from 7 till half 8 every morning At least from now on even on school days. A girl who got 505 points last year and is repeating for medicine has told me she did it for her mocks and found it brilliantly effective. To me it sounds good too and I'm definately going ahead with it.

Anyone wanna try this out for at least a week or something then we can talk about how it was and stuff? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭AxlRose1992

A friend of mine always studys in the morning, don't know how he does it. Not a hope of me doing it I'm afraid. The hardest aspect of school for me is getting up early. I don't mind staying in school an extra 3 or 4 hours late to study, but the mornings is out of the question.

Good luck with it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I did it when I was a student. Was up at 5 swimming and studied from 7.45 for an hour, can't but recommend it. However...bed at 9.30 a must.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Bhoy_

I get into school early so I study a bit in the library in morning for about 45mins. Unfortunately it's hard to concentrate because I'm not a morning person.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Yeah, I'm not a morning person either but I think getting up early and going to bed early should be good for getting my mind and body in order. I'm going to start small I think, might study for 30 mins in the morning and slowly build it up. My mother is an MA in Science and she said she used to study 30 mins normally every morning before school and cleaned the house for excercise. I'm not a fan if cleaning but I love a good workout so I think I'm gonna try half hour of study and a short workout before my walk to school. Can't hurt I don't think... Thing is I hate studying in the evenings because it's so difficult to concentrate I don't see how ppl get in 4 hours of stdy after school lol. But saying that I do study after school just nit enough so I'm going to have a shot at morning study. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I love my sleep in the morning but for the mocks i might get up early and study. When i supervised the leaving cert last year some students came in about an hour and a half early to study and it seemed to work well for them. During my Christmas tests i recorded myself reciting essays and things and listened to it on the way into school. I know it's a bit strange but it stuck in my mind and helped a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Bhoy_

I love my sleep in the morning but for the mocks i might get up early and study. When i supervised the leaving cert last year some students came in about an hour and a half early to study and it seemed to work well for them. During my Christmas tests i recorded myself reciting essays and things and listened to it on the way into school. I know it's a bit strange but it stuck in my mind and helped a lot.

Yeah I recorded myself and listened to it while I was in the gym, just so it didn't cut into my study much.

Bhoy_ wrote: »
    Yeah I recorded myself and listened to it while I was in the gym, just so it didn't cut into my study much.

I tend to zone out and not listen sometimes but yeah it definitely works. If you listen to it a couple of times before you go to bed aswel you'll nearly know it off heart by morning.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I get the bus at 7.45 - so it wouldn't be easy for me to get up earlier than normal to study (I usually get up between 6.45-7.00).

Plus how effective is your brain in the morning? My brain takes about 1.5 hours longer than the rest of my body to fully wake up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

I was thinking of giving it a go, im definitely trying it for the mocks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

It's something I've been thinking about for a while too; I'm more alert in the mornings than at night by a long shot and I find it dfficult to do anything of value after school. Plus, I tend to be in bed by 10 most nights, 11 at the latest and that's only on Tuesday nights because of Desperate Housewives. :p
    So yeah,I guess I'm up for it too. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you make sure to go to bed at a reasonable time, for many people their most effective learning is done in the first 5 hours of 'awake' time.

It's a good habit to get into.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Does anyone have any tips for getting up straight away when the alarm goes off? This would be my biggest problem.

I've tried putting the alarm on the other side of the room, but I usually just stay in bed until it goes off automatically. I can get up if I have to (e.g. for school), but if it was 'optional' study in the morning I wouldn't be able to get up.

OK, it sounds a bit ridiculous but still, I find it tough to get out of bed, even if I get enough sleep. My alarm can be set to be either a beeping noise or music off my iPod (and the alarm volume is adjustable as well!). If I set the alarm volume loud, I usually get up, but I don't like doing that as it would wake the other people in the house that don't have to get up at 6.45.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

As a matter of interest, how do young folks nowadays record themselves. In my day, you'd record yourself reciting an essay or whatever on cassette and then listen to that on a tape recorder or a tape-walkman.

Nowadays, however, with MP3 players and Ipods, I'd be interested in finding out the normal modern recording methods.

I normally set my alarm for about half an hour before i get up. My mam would get up then and turn on my light so i know i've to get up. It takes a while but after half an hour i'd normally be awake and get up myself.
    As for recording myself i did do it on my phone but then my phone got stolen. Bit embarrassed now because who ever has my phone will be listening to be blabbering on about industrial relations and Eavan Boland! Now i do it on my i-pod.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 WHirl7

Does anyone have any tips for getting up straight away when the alarm goes off? This would be my biggest problem.

I've tried putting the alarm on the other side of the room, but I usually just stay in bed until it goes off automatically. I can get up if I have to (e.g. for school), but if it was 'optional' study in the morning I wouldn't be able to get up.

OK, it sounds a bit ridiculous but still, I find it tough to get out of bed, even if I get enough sleep. My alarm can be set to be either a beeping noise or music off my iPod (and the alarm volume is adjustable as well!). If I set the alarm volume loud, I usually get up, but I don't like doing that as it would wake the other people in the house that don't have to get up at 6.45.

Make it a really annoying song that you hate, then you'll have to get up and turn it off!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

WHirl7 wrote: »
    Make it a really annoying song that you hate, then you'll have to get up and turn it off!

This might just do the job - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFzyYYZsxGc

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Wardy92

A friend of mine always studys in the morning, don't know how he does it. Not a hope of me doing it I'm afraid. The hardest aspect of school for me is getting up early. I don't mind staying in school an extra 3 or 4 hours late to study, but the mornings is out of the question.

Good luck with it though.

So true i hate getting up but i dont mind doing night study and study in the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Now i do it on my i-pod.

How do you do this?

LovexxLife wrote: »
    How do you do this?

I've a voice recorder on my i-pod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

This recording thing sounds like a good idea! But how to record my voice to put on my ipod??would it work if I did it on my phone and put it on the computer and then to the ipod? hmm. I really think this could work for me! thanks for saying it!

studying in the morning would not work for me! bus is at 7.30am and I get in at 8.30.. Id rather study late at night then early mornings!

mornings are a death.. cannot wait for June 25th for the nicest sleep in of my life!

• Advertisement
Advertisement