Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1.6 CR Vs 1.9 PD diesel - (another octavia thread!)

• 17-01-2010 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

Hi,
    First of all sorry for starting another Octavia thread (especially when there is another recent new one!) but I have a specific question and did not want to hijack other thread.
    I have essentially bought a new octavia but need to decide on 1.6CR Vs 1.9 PD diesel. I test drove both. In lower gears (1,2,3) I noticed little difference between the two. However in 4th and 5th the 1.9 PD definitely had more kick. I originally was going for the 1.6 due to the claimed extra 5mpg. However the 1.9 kick was a definite attraction to help when passing out etc. I was taken aback by how much more it had over the 1.6 seeing that both have the same bhp and the quoted torque is....well I don't fully understand it but here are the figures

1.9 = 250/1900 Max torque/revs
    1.6 = 250/1500 - 2500

I assume this means that the torque in the 1.9 is max (250) always at 1900 revs, where as the revs that the 1.6's max is achievable at is somewhere between 1500 and 2500 depending on the gear.
    One thing was that the 1.6CR I drove was a new car with only ~100km on it. The 1.9 I drove as a one year old version with ~10,000km on it. I know very little about cars but people seem to say that it takes time for a turbo in a car to settle in (or what ever term is used!). Is this actually the case, and if so why? If it is the case am I making an unfair comparison. Or maybe the difference is that I was not used to the 1.6 and therefore did not know the optimal gearing and was at the wrong gear/revs etc.

So this thread is not about the Octavia per say. Its about the engine.
    Also is there any other advantage ot the CR other than quieter and more mpg?

Thanks for taking time to read this long thread and hopefully for your thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

I havent driven the 1.6 CR TDI or the 1.9 PD TDI but common rail is the next generation of diesel engines. I wouldnt be surprised if there is a bit of PD technology in the CR engine.

The specs you quote are interesting however. This should be an interesting thread.
    The 1.6 seems to get more torque (well the same) earlier in the rev band so should be better at accelerating then the 1.9. Having said that, the 1.9 you are quoting must be one of the lower powered ones.

The gear ratios would make some difference Im sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭albob

There is a 2.0 PD with quoted torque of 320/1750. How due to the mpg hit its definitely not an option for me.

albob wrote: »
    There is a 2.0 PD with quoted torque of 320/1750. How due to the mpg hit its definitely not an option for me.

How about the 2.0 CR?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭albob

Their brochure only refers to a 1.6 CR and 1.9 &2.0 PD diesel engines

http://new.skoda-auto.com/IRL/Documents/New_Octavia/OctaviaENG_0409.pdf

albob wrote: »
    There brochure only refers to a 1.6 CR and 1.9 &2.0 PD diesel engines

http://new.skoda-auto.com/IRL/Documents/New_Octavia/OctaviaENG_0409.pdf

My bad. I think I was thinking of the Superb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The difference you're noticing may be not be real. The old 1.9 delivers all its power in one big lump, it's nothing, nothing, nothing then suddenly woosh the seatback seems to be pushing you forward but suddenly it's all over.
    I haven't driven the 1.6 but I'd expect it to have much smoother power delivery, no big lump so less noticable, but the power is still there. All that's missing is the drama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭maidhc

alias no.9 wrote: »
    The difference you're noticing may be not be real. The old 1.9 delivers all its power in one big lump, it's nothing, nothing, nothing then suddenly woosh the seatback seems to be pushing you forward but suddenly it's all over.
    I haven't driven the 1.6 but I'd expect it to have much smoother power delivery, no big lump so less noticable, but the power is still there. All that's missing is the drama.

Id second that. I'd imagine you are going places just as quick in the 1.6, you just don't get the big lull followed by a kick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The Express

I'd say the refinement, marginal improvement in economy, lower road tax and future resale will put a lot of people into the CR.

It would be interesting to know how many unreg'd 1.9 PDs are left in distributor stock - I don't see dealers doing anything special on the list price of it to justify going for the older unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 1.9 can still be ordered in the Superb strangely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

still doing the business emissions wise in the Superb. I'd say the bulk of Superbs sold are the Greenline 1.9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

bazz26 wrote: »
    The 1.9 can still be ordered in the Superb strangely.

It can still be ordered in the Octavia as well, they are still in production, the 1.9 despite the vrt disadvantage is cheaper than the 1.6 CR too, as for which one i'd go for, not really too sure but the sensible side of me would tell me the 1.6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

CR is far better than PD IMO. Having just traded up from a 2.0 ltr PD to a 2.0 ltd CR engine I can attest to the more linear acceleration and power throughout the range. The 1.6 will be smoother than the 1.9 and it'll also be quieter. Most likely it'll just sip a little bit of diesel also making it very cost effective to run.

I've a 170ps CR and she's a little thirstier but it's coming into it's own now as I've put 800Km on her in the past week.

Paul

Flamegrill, your car is on the heavier side then the old one yeah? That and the cold probably has it a bit thirstier.

Its good to see the CR's rolling in more and more.
    The PD's are nearly 10 years old now since they were rolled out in 2001ish so they have served their time. I have the older TDI again and I do notice that the power only comes in with the turbo but I never really had a problem keeping it in the power band. Id be really interested to have a common rail for a week so I can feel the differences for myself, because Im sure there is a huge difference. The 1.9 seems to have been a great lump altogether over the years though in what ever form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Thought this thread was the best for this..

http://new.skoda-auto.com/COM/about/info/news/News/Pages/2010_08_12TSIOctavia.aspx

New Petrol Engine for the Octavia, 1.2 TSi - 105bhp
    Bound to be here soon and 156€ road tax

http://www.skoda.ie/IRL/Documents/New_Octavia/Octavia%20Price%20and%20Spec%20Jan%2019.pdf

Already added to the Irish pricelist, €16990 in )albeit) basic "classic" spec, good value considering really

Advertisement