Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the bankers running the "banking, insurance & pensions" forum ?

Options
  • 17-01-2010 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

I note on the Banking forum that somebody praised a bank for good service.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055788400

However this bank was not one of the NAMA'ed banks so the praise was subject to sneers and snide comments from those posters who work for the NAMA'ed banks.

However I received an infraction for my "tongue in cheek"comments regarding why PostBANK was able to respond quickly to a customer comment.

Surely bank staff on Boards should state their affiliation (in general terms , not "I work in BOI, Grafton St") in order to ensure some level of fairness ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,308 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Please refer to our dispute resolution procedure if you have any issues regarding moderation on this site. This involves PMing the mods of the forum where you have an issue. If you're not satisfied with the response then you can contact one of the appropriate CMods (full list in the link). Should this not provide you with a satisfactory response then you should come back to this Help Desk thread.

As regards obliging bank staff to state who their employers are, this will not be happening. People have a right to privacy, and that includes deciding for themselves if they wish to tell other posters who they work for. This goes for everyone, not just bank staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭soden12

The Commuting and Transport forum has a requirement that posters declare any conflicts of interest.

This was designed to stop CIE posters from constantly posting good things and private operators from constantly posting their own agenda.

I don't see why bankers should be treated differently and allowed to slag off a competitor whilst posting in the guise of a normal user.

My replies are not showing - Commuting and Transport has a declaration of conflicts of interest.

Apologies, after the first post all posts in Help Desk must be approved by an admin, and your previous post was obviously missed and then slipped off the front page.

I'll hold my hand up and admit that I wasn't aware that Commuting & Transport (or Broadband, as mentioned in the Feedback thread) required people to declare their affiliation. That said, I haven't seen much evidence of people attacking others based on their who they work for in that forum, so for the moment there seems little need to change a policy based on the evidence presented so far.

Declaring an interest would also lend veracity to the advice given in that people would be aware it came from an actual banker rather than just a joe soap.

• Advertisement

Why would it? People have been giving out about not trusting bankers for ages now, so why would a statement confirming that someone is a banker make them any more credible?

Zaph wrote: »
    Why would it? People have been giving out about not trusting bankers for ages now, so why would a statement confirming that someone is a banker make them any more credible?

That's a somewhat facetious answer.

If a person is looking for advice on banking issues eg international transactions, direect debits, overdrafts then information from someone who is obviously a bank employee would help the situation.

Advertisement