Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prices of leisure centres in Sligo

Options
  • 17-01-2010 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering if anyone has any prices of joining any of the leisure centres in Sligo.
    It's a shame they don't publish their prices online.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Ya its annoying how they never put prices on the net, but its all part of their strategy, prices constanly changing.

Anyways from what i can remember i think the Regional Sports Complex in Clevragh is 40euro a month for unlimted access to the pool or 45 a month for the pool and gym. I think it might work out cheaper if ya get a yearly membership.
    IT Sligo has a decent gym and very reasonable prices but no pool.
    I think the Clarion is the best in town but also the most expensive.
    Also Avena in Ballisadare is supposed to be very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Thanks. I guess I'll have to phone around.
    Looking for a pool more then anything to help my lad over his surgery.
    The thing that puts me off the sports centre is that it's only open certain times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Hi hun - I'm in the Sligo Park leisure centre and I can't for the life of me remember the prices there. But the pool there is nice - big deep steps in at the shallow end instead of having to use the ladder if that's easier, and I've never seen it busy. I usually go at about 8.45 to 9.30am and the pre-work swimmers are gone and the late swimmers haven't arrived. But I've been there later and it's been almost as quiet. Generally speaking I think their spaces are filled by now, but in maybe April they do their 6 month re-subscription thingy, and a lot of people leave for the summer so there'd be spaces. Worth giving them a shout anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

magnumlady wrote: »
    Thanks. I guess I'll have to phone around.
    Looking for a pool more then anything to help my lad over his surgery.
    The thing that puts me off the sports centre is that it's only open certain times.

The pool in carrick on shannon is great, they have gym aswell.

http://www.auraleisurecentres.ie/locations/aura-leitrim.html

prices are on there.

Thanks Fozzle I'll give them a shout.
    I was hoping for something a bit nearer then Carrick so I can tie it in with the school run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

fozzle wrote: »
    Hi hun - I'm in the Sligo Park leisure centre and I can't for the life of me remember the prices there. But the pool there is nice - big deep steps in at the shallow end instead of having to use the ladder if that's easier, and I've never seen it busy. I usually go at about 8.45 to 9.30am and the pre-work swimmers are gone and the late swimmers haven't arrived. But I've been there later and it's been almost as quiet. Generally speaking I think their spaces are filled by now, but in maybe April they do their 6 month re-subscription thingy, and a lot of people leave for the summer so there'd be spaces. Worth giving them a shout anyway.

think their price is around 160 for 3 months or 120 something if you only want to use off peak, think it covers pool/gym/classes, spinning may be extra, sorry for all the 'thinks', glanced at the prices quickly in the week

Thanks that gives me an idea of price anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Thanks Fozzle I'll give them a shout.
    I was hoping for something a bit nearer then Carrick so I can tie it in with the school run.

Hi magnumlady

Here is a gym I found in Carrick on Shannon. Hope this helps. :)

http://www.auraleisurecentres.ie/locations/aura-leitrim.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Oops sorry, didn't read the post about Carrick on Shannon. Sorry. :o:(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I used to be in the Clarion gym before I moved out into the sticks, it got very busy when I left it and that's about 2years ago. Does anyone know the membership costs for the Avena in Ballisadare?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭The.Q

I used to be in the Clarion gym before I moved out into the sticks, it got very busy when I left it and that's about 2years ago. Does anyone know the membership costs for the Avena in Ballisadare?

My wife just got a price list a couple of days ago for Avena Leisure centre in Ballisodare, as follows:

Opening Hours:
    • Mon -Fri: 0630 - 2200;
    • Sat: 0700 - 2100;
    • Sun & B/Hol: 0900 - 2100.
    Children U/12 and Youths (12-18) from 0900 - 1900 only.

Pricelist for Full Unlimited Membership
    • 3 Months: €175 per 1 adult, additional €35 per child
    • 6 Months: €325 per 1 adult, one child free, additional €60 per 2nd and subsequent child
    • 12 Months: €550 per 1 adult, children u/12 free
    Pricelist for Off-Peak Membership

(M-F: 0800-1600, Sa-Su & B/Hol: 0900-2100)
    • 3 Months: €145 per 1 adult, additional €35 per child
    • 6 Months: €265 per 1 adult, one child free, additional €60 per 2nd and subsequent child
    • 12 Months: €450 per 1 adult, children u/12 free
    Hope This Helps.

If you don't pay for a child as a member, it costs €5 per child per visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Avena also give discounts to anyone who works for Abbott.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I was only in the one in Ballisodare yesterday eve.

I was going to join as it is on my way home from work and its hard to go running on the roads in the dark.

Looks very nice but it seemed quite busy. I wonder will it die down when all the New Years resolution gang have given up?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Slidey wrote: »
    I was only in the one in Ballisodare yesterday eve.

I was going to join as it is on my way home from work and its hard to go running on the roads in the dark.

Looks very nice but it seemed quite busy. I wonder will it die down when all the New Years resolution gang have given up?

what time was it busy at? because I'm going to probably join it also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Half 5 ish. The guy on reception was very friendly and was sayin after 7 it got quiet again

My wife joined Avena a couple of days ago for 12 months (BTW, I hold no brief for Avena and couldn't care less if anyone joins or not, I'm just passing on this info).

She went at about 6.00 P.M. on Monday evening to join, and it was quite busy then, but the woman there said that this is a busy time, as is the mid-morning (10.00 A.M. ish). It's fairly quiet in the early morning - God help her, my wife got up for a 6.30 A.M. start today - and she said there were about 5 or 6 other people there, mostly people like herself (all women, I think), either getting to the gym before work or before the general madness of child-care, Etc., starts.

One thing regarding the membership, you can pay for 12 months by DD. You pay for the first 3 months up front, then 9 further instalments with no extra charge (I suppose this means that, as you don't sign a contract, Etc., if you don't like it, you can easily cancel after the 3 months, and you've lost nothing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

A word of warning on Avena - the developers of the Avena complex & apartments have gone into liquidation. I'm not sure if this affects the gym itself, but just be careful about paying large amounts up front, just in case.

Though the same I suppose, could apply to any gym.

A word of warning on Avena - the developers of the Avena complex & apartments have gone into liquidation. I'm not sure if this affects the gym itself, but just be careful about paying large amounts up front, just in case.

Though the same I suppose, could apply to any gym.
    Just a point of information, starbelgrade. Unless something has happened in the last few days, Avena has gone into receivership not liquidation (see http://www.sligochampion.ie/news/court-hears-development-company-is-in-receivership-2027977.html for the Sligo Champion report, and http://www.mlaw.ie/news/examinership-receivership-and-liquidation-what-s-the-difference for the difference between receivership and liquidation).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Vintagekits

The.Q wrote: »
    Just a point of information, starbelgrade. Unless something has happened in the last few days, Avena has gone into receivership not liquidation (see http://www.sligochampion.ie/news/court-hears-development-company-is-in-receivership-2027977.html for the Sligo Champion report, and http://www.mlaw.ie/news/examinership-receivership-and-liquidation-what-s-the-difference for the difference between receivership and liquidation).

well if it aint the Q!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

The Avena is definately worth joining. I joined it the beginning of this year and have been at it most days since then, either for a series work out or for a relax. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The layout of the place is great and very relaxing, i swear it is better than any spa i've been in.

It does get busy at times. I've been in it at various times over the past few weeks. Generally after primary school time and up to 7pm one would get a lot of kids in it. However, its comfortably busy in the mornings and in the evening its quiet enough that you would have a lane to yourself in the pool. The gym is busy enough in the evenings but not so busy that there is a wait for use of equipment.

I haven't used the Clarion however i have been speaking to some people and they do speak highly of that gym as well.

(I did not know about the recievership until after i wrote the post)

• Advertisement

The receivership would put me off joining the Avena.
    I saw some rates for The Clarion in one of the papers and it didn't seem too bad from what I remember. Just waiting to get the OK for the lad to start swimming and then we'll know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

The receivership would put me off joining the Avena.
    I saw some rates for The Clarion in one of the papers and it didn't seem too bad from what I remember. Just waiting to get the OK for the lad to start swimming and then we'll know more.

Ya that would definatley be a good idea in not joining it until there was some stability in it. i'm glad i only joined for 3 months... but its been great there so far.

I must check out the Clarion myself.

Advertisement