Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice for my website

Options
  • 17-01-2010 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

hi everyone,

ive got some good advice over on another thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055801440 about my website.

my problem is that i dont know how to edit the site as it has been done by a company.i can edit txt but i dont know how to edit background stuff,titles,headers bits like that.

can somebody point me in the right direction as to (a)if i can make these changes myself or (b) if so how i go about this and (c) will i just have to get my designer to do this for me.

i would like to be able to do these bits myself if i could.

thnks in advance

dreamtime

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

You need to get a design company to set up a 'Content Management System' (CMS) that allows you to change the text and add new pages and content. Either the company will do this or else you could get someone else to do it. Assuming you haven't any problems with the original company, I'd advise going with them again to add this feature.

Overall, the site is pretty good, solid and at a level that I would need to feel confidence that you're an established outfit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Dreamtime

thanks for your reply there is cms setup but i can only see where text can be changed and nothing else.maybe iam just missing something? it seems like tags and background stuff has been done somewhere else this is what i need to get at.

iam not to up on the developing side of things and dont want to do any damage to the site by messing around with it.

there is no problems with the company i would just rather do it myself if i could instead of relying on them and can get it done in my own time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

I'm not sure what you mean by 'tags' and 'background stuff' so you'll have to excuse me.

Generally a CMS is great at changing text etc... However, if you want to start changing graphics etc... CMS tools are not very good at that and you often require specific software and/ore knowledge of how the site was built. I'd say the company who did it for you will make changes for a small fee. Unfortunatelym trying to built a CMS for all of that would cost way too much, so wouldn't mak sense.

p wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'tags' and 'background stuff' so you'll have to excuse me.

Generally a CMS is great at changing text etc... However, if you want to start changing graphics etc... CMS tools are not very good at that and you often require specific software and/ore knowledge of how the site was built. I'd say the company who did it for you will make changes for a small fee. Unfortunatelym trying to built a CMS for all of that would cost way too much, so wouldn't mak sense.
    hi p sorry for the lack of tech words.what i mean is changing headers meta descriptions semantic mark up all of this i cannot see when i access my cms.

to me it seems that only general text can be edited.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I wouldn't expect you to be able to update the mark-up yourself, otherwise you probably wouldn't need their services in the first place.

Unless it was specified in the requirements, I don't know if I would expect keywords to be editable either - however, depending on the CMS they used / developed, this might not be a big change for them to make.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭lostprophetsie

I really like the look of the site, don't mind the little girl on it too much either. I did notice that your site doesn't seem to have a favicon, or at least it isn't showing up for me.

thanks for all the replys everyone trying to tweek it a small bit with the little bit of knowledge i do know.

will have to get the designer to do the rest.

lostprophetsie what is favicon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭lostprophetsie

Hi Dreamtime,

This will probably explain it better than I could http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon. It's something your designer could add really easily.

cheers no harm in asking anyway

Advertisement