Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to mend handles on pvc windows?

• 17-01-2010 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi,
    I am attempting to mend my pvc windows, the handles have come off a few of them. They are just regular handles no keys or locks. As I am a single parent I am trying to save money in these economic times. I will be using the original handles unless otherwise advised. I have been told it is not a big job. I am quiet handy and have repaired a few things around the house,water pipes etc. Any advise would be great.:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭hopalong_ie

Hi,

Can you clarify what type of handle they are, does the handle over lap the frame to stop the window opening or does a small bar come out of the handle into the frame i.e does the handle contain the lock or is that within the window itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ektsoc

Hi, There is no locks on the windows, they are fifteen years old. The handle has a small bar which over laps the window to keep it closed. It looks like there is "rivets"- metal things coming out where the handles fell off. Hope I have given a good description.

That's the old type alright, if there is pop rivits holding them in then you could simply purchase a rivit tool and some rivits, perhaps going up a size. Another option os upvc repair screws.

Screws:
    http://www.locksonline.co.uk/acatalog/Repair_Screws.html

Rivits:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/searchtemplate.asp?criteria=POP%20RIVIT%20GUN

You should be able to sort it yourself, most important thing is you determine if the "hole" has been damaged by the old handles being pulled off.

Thanks for the advise. How do I remove the piece sticking out from the frame (rivet)? Do rivets come in different sizes? As you can tell I am a pure novice.

Depends on what is sticking out, is it possible to push it into the frame then that would be okay, if not i would buy and a junior hacksaw blade and cut slowly into the rivit from the side. Then the slug would/should into the frame. As for the rivits themselves, they do indeed come in differant sizes. All the above could be got from woodies, so bring a handle with you to determine the size of rivit needed. Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

Thank you very much for all your advise will tackle it this weekend.

Advertisement