Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about gadget to measure land

• 17-01-2010 8:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hello folks. I would like to measure out an acre and need one of those gadgets to measure land, as a tape measure isn't going to get it done. The gadget I mean is the type with a calibrated wheel attached to a handle. One runs the gadget along, say, a wall to find its length. What is the gadget called and where may I borrow or hire one? Thanks very much in advance. :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

A measuring wheel is what its commonly known as. Some of the tool hire places would have it to rent but just make sure you get the right one. There are 2 types one for road/smooth surfaces and a different type which basically has 2 wheels and is for use on more rugged terrain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Immaculata

muffler wrote: »
    A measuring wheel is what its commonly known as. Some of the tool hire places would have it to rent but just make sure you get the right one. There are 2 types one for road/smooth surfaces and a different type which basically has 2 wheels and is for use on more rugged terrain.

Thank you very much!

You're welcome :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

What you're asking about is a measuring wheel...
    measuring_wheel-l.jpg

but you don't actually nead one of those.

There are 4,047 square metres in one acre so one combination could be (say 67.00m x 60.40m) and can be measured out using a 100m tape. It is very important to note that this method will only work using all right angles (90 degrees) if your angle is off your area will be also.

It's always best to get a professional to measure out land areas for you.

Edit: I see it's all been done already....:)

Do try to keep up Tom :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Immaculata

What you're asking about is a measuring wheel...
    measuring_wheel-l.jpg

but you don't actually nead one of those.

There are 4,047 square metres in one acre so one combination could be (say 67.00m x 60.40m) and can be measured out using a 100m tape. It is very important to note that this method will only work using all right angles (90 degrees) if your angle is off your area will be also.

It's always best to get a professional to measure out land areas for you.

Edit: I see it's all been done already....:)

Thanks!

I would love to get a professional to do it for me, but I'm skint so I can't. Ah well, we struggle on, much helped by actually knowing what I'm supposed to be asking for.

To my deep and abiding shame, I must thank you also for the math help. Yes, my maths sucks that much. I have to take my shoes off to count above ten. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

I measured mine out with a map and a compass using back bearings from map identifiable features. Its a pain but easy enough. I now have a GPS iphone and that is much easier as I enter the coordinates and walk to the corners and put a marker there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Leadership wrote: »
    I measured mine out with a map and a compass using back bearings from map identifiable features. Its a pain but easy enough. I now have a GPS iphone and that is much easier as I enter the coordinates and walk to the corners and put a marker there.

Recreational GPS is not accurate enough to rely on for land surveys. It can be out by tens of meters.
    Even map and compass work is not accurate at the scales involved - typical OS discovery series mapping at 1:50,000.
    You try to work backwards from a known point on a map to what's on the ground, you will introduce huge errors. EG, go out and take a trig point summit with your GPS, and then input the co-ords back onto your OS map, and you'll see what I mean. Even the black dot on the map represents a large land area on the ground!

A professional surveyor with a total station could do a basic land survey for you for a reasonable cash price these days (they are very hungry for work).
    @ the OP, ring a few surveyors locally and tell them what you want, and you'll be surprised at the prices.

Advertisement