Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

getting planning on old dwelling

• 17-01-2010 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Lads,
    Have a question here regarding obtaining planning on a site where an old dwelling exists, are the council obliged to give me planning on this site if you apply from the point of renovating the previously used house? (Long long time since it was used)
    Have been turned down on an adjacent site recently. Have I a hope or should I just cut my losses now, site was deemed unsuitable for waste water disposal despite having a suitable treatment system specified but thats another story.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I'm not sure I understand the question fully, so I will not answer it directly.

However if you are asking is it easier to extent, renoviate or refurbish an existing dwelling then the answer is usually yes.
    Councils can use the oppertunity to get the applicant to upgrade things - eg site entrance, septic tank, percolation area etc. As the house exists already it has a right to be there.

Always seek profession advice and consult your planning dept. Unfortunately I have not seen the house or your previous refusal so I can not give more accurate advice on a discussion forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

It is worth going to the council's Heritage Officer or Conservation Officer and discussing this matter directly with them. Then a pre planning meeting with the planning department should answer any remaining questions.

It is normally easier to revive an existing old building than introduse a new one, in the eyes of the planning officers.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭its baltic

This ruin as you could only call it wouldnt have any waste water treatment system and this is where I came unstuck with application next door. Its the environmental officer rather than the heritage officer who is my biggest problem i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

is there a specific reason why the EO deems the area / previous site unsuitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭its baltic

The EO has given the opinion that the water table is too high(1.5m bgl) and that the soil properties dont allow enough percolation depite them being within the EPA guidelines and a suitable raised bed percolation area being specified for the site. seems as he is going on his own opinion in making the decision rather than going on the info provided by the trial holes and percolation tests. I seem to be powerless to argue with this opinion that he has formed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 no1donjuan

Hi baltic,

I have been involved in a similar inquiry before. There is a simple answer to your question and a complicated answer so I'll try the former and if you want a full story drop me a PM and I'll give you a call and explain.

So here goes.

You do not need planning unless you are going to make alterations to the existing dwelling i.e change elevations etc. however for eg. if the roof has a corrugated roof and you want to change that to slate you can avoid going for planning permission by applying for a section 5.

If the local authority do not agree with your application you can always appeal to Board Pleanala.

Now the job I have been involved in the past where percolation results were poor BUT there was an existing house (old cottage) and the client wanted to renovate and extend was dealt with more lenient. This was primarily due to the fact that the environmental section wanted to upgrade the non compliant septic tank. the client was therefore granted full planning with conditions to upgrade WWTU.

The one part of your message that I found surprising was:

The EO has given the opinion that the water table is too high(1.5m bgl) and that the soil properties dont allow enough percolation depite them being within the EPA guidelines and a suitable raised bed percolation area being specified for the site. seems as he is going on his own opinion in making the decision rather than going on the info provided by the trial holes and percolation tests. I seem to be powerless to argue with this opinion that he has formed.

My answer to this is very simple and has been effective in the past. If you are correct and the results are within the EPA guidelines then contact the EPA directly and get a letter off them stating there official opinion. Show that to the environmental section/planner and BINGO you are sorted.

again PM me if you need more details.

by the way which county are you in?

Advertisement