Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History of Irish Flooding

Options
  • 17-01-2010 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I am doing a dissertation on flooding and am having problems on finding the; year, area and extensive damage that previous flooding has caused in Ireland. If anyone would be able to forward me information, links, websites it would be much appreciated. :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Don't have many weblinks to offer but this may be of help:

http://booty.org.uk/booty.weather/climate/histclimat.htm

Big events in Irish historic weather get the occasional mention.

I would also try the Irish Times Digital Archive.

I know there has been many flooding events, too many to mention, although I think December 1954 saw big floodings around the country due to explosive cyclonic weather late in the month.

Edit: Just to add, you could always contact Met Eireann Climate Enquiries. They should be able to give you some pointers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 GT Tdi

Thanks Deep Easterly i will give them a try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭nagero

Have you see http://floodmaps.ie/ ?

In many cases (I've looked mainly at Carlow) there are reports and copies of newspaper coverage for major flood events.

kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Don't have many weblinks to offer but this may be of help:

http://booty.org.uk/booty.weather/climate/histclimat.htm

Big events in Irish historic weather get the occasional mention.
    Look up 1338-9 on that link :)

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Also take a look at the Irish Independent Archives (you can take a cursory search and look without paying but can use them for a day for €10 each).

They may be of help as well.

The Independent site also has access to some regional newspapers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I did a fairly extensive study on flooding a number of years ago for a college dissertation.

As mentioned above, use floodmaps.ie to identify significant events in your study area.

Once identified you can use national and local press to gain good insight into the damage sustained due of the event. When an event does not represent flooding incident in a populated area (and therefore does not receive good coverage in the national or local press) but may have effected a rural area, community newsletters can be a good source of information.

Floodmaps.ie also has good links to official reports to many events.

Good luck with the dissertation, it may not seem it at the start but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Advertisement