Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

... in Beijing?

• 17-01-2010 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭

Hi

there's six of us guys headin over in June.
    5 of them are big drinkers, i dont drink at all.
    I'm looking for the more culture (and urban) aspects.

any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Ni Hao Goat Mouth.. Lucky ye, headin off to China, it's a great holiday, and one which you should remember for the rest of your life..

OK first point Beijing is not a huge drinking city, for a place of its size anyway. There are places to go, but they take some finding. Compare it to Shangahi and it's quite dull in that regard. Your friends would be much more comfortable in Shanghai, though since the Olympics and for the Expo there are a lot of late night venues that have been shut down in Shanghai and Beijing.

Back to Beijing, luckily for you there's so much to do culturally wise. Obviously the Wall is a certainty, and rightly so. I would recommend going to see it in Mutuyani, it's about an hours drive north of the capital. It's a lot quiter than other more touristy places like Bada Ling, but worth the extra effort for the added seculsion. You can get a cable car up and tobaggan down, it's quite unique.

If you decided to go to the Wall in Bada Ling you could go to see the Ming tombs en route which is two birds in one stone, but quite frankly the tombs aren't as special as you'd imagine.

I also recommend the Summer Palace, and The Forbidden City. The later is just off Tianeman Square so you get to see that too. It's huge and full of Chinese tourists who come to see the tomb of Chairman Mao in the square. Seen as there is a gang of ye I'd recommend consulting the consierge at your hotel with a view to getting your own private guide and car for all of the above. They will have god English and tell ya what you need etc. When cost is divided up its well worth it. If you go as part of the bigger tour group your just part of the crowd, get your own car ye set the agenda, go where ya want when you want etc.. Don't be afraid to go off the beaten track, it's a very safe city. Don't forget the Olympic Stadia are worth a visit too.

Your going in June, so it will be pretty humid, if not hot. Up to 90% it can get so plenty water is the key. Luckily it's cheap. Bring it with you to the wall, they charge what they like for it, its a captive market up there.

Do plenty research online, have a rough agenda, use all time wisely, because it's more than likely most of ye won't get back there again. Enjoy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Goat Mouth

Wow great post.

Thanks for all the tips. It already sounds better and I'm much more eager seeing as it's not a drinking city!

The heat will be hard to deal with i suspect. I tend to burn quite easily and have gotten sunstroke before so it's looking like factor 50 everyday kind of job.
    So I guess this means light clothing too.

Is there anything else you think i should know, like our differences in etiquette that may be seen as slightly rude on our part?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

One of the first thing that strikes you when you reach Beijing is that there's people everywhere. It sounds obvious and expected but nothing quite prepard me for it. They will have their habits and etiquette, and we have ours. It's not the Middle East so you don't have to be worried about offending them, just do your thing. You will get the odd funny look from some of them, or maybe even a grunt, but be as polite to them as they are to you.

Eat all the local foods, try get a few words in Mandarin and learn to use chop sticks, it always goes down well.. Make the most if it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Goat Mouth

Yes I figured that the chopsticks would be a necessity, I asked my dad to acquire some the next time he's getting a chinese however I then had to explain to him that it's just not polite to sneak in my own knife and fork into a restaraunt
    :rolleyes:
    uncultured father wha?

Advertisement