Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lilies, Croppies and Poppies

Options
  • 17-01-2010 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

Dear All,
    I was wondering if anyone can think of any examples of a flower/seed being associated with the French Revolution and/or the Napoleonic wars in the same way as the Poppy is now associated here with British troops, the lily with the Easter Rising and the Croppy with the '98 rebellion.
    Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I may be wrong but I dont think "croppies" is a flower name is it?

I thought it was the equivalent of skinhead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭WinstonSmith

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I may be wrong but I dont think "croppies" is a flower name is it?

I thought it was the equivalent of skinhead?

Croppies are seeds. Could also be a type of hairstyle as well. I don't know. I take it that either nobody ever heard of anything like this or that nothing like this actually happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 KingKiller

I think the term Croppy came from the fact that the men in 1798 croppyed their hair as they was the fashion throughout Europe, especially France for some reason. Sort of symbolised solidarity for the French revoulotion I think. Bit like wearing a badge of support.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

KingKiller wrote: »
    I think the term Croppy came from the fact that the men in 1798 croppyed their hair as they was the fashion throughout Europe, especially France for some reason. Sort of symbolised solidarity for the French revoulotion I think. Bit like wearing a badge of support.

The hairstyle is certainly the meaning of the word associated with the "Croppies" of 1798.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Dear All,
    I was wondering if anyone can think of any examples of a flower/seed being associated with the French Revolution and/or the Napoleonic wars in the same way as the Poppy is now associated here with British troops, the lily with the Easter Rising and the Croppy with the '98 rebellion.
    Many thanks.

Don't know but it did signify the definite downfall of the French Fleur de Lis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭boscoroxx

As a Wexford native, and an employee of the National 1798 Rebellion Centre I would like to say that 'Croppies' is in reference to the pitch-capping (a helmet style cap which was filled with tar and placed - and then removed from heads of the rebels) leaving them with cropped hair...
    I'm not sure of Croppy seeds, but local 'lore would suggest it's to do with the hair style.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Exile 1798

It should be noted that croppy was a term of abuse.

Advertisement