Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into development??

Options
  • 17-01-2010 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Just looking for advice on getting into development. Been in the IT game now for 12 years covering HW and SW, helpdesk, sys admin and field service. I did a VB course some years ago and have recently got back into it. Is it worth pursuing at this stage??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

IMO its rarely too late to change career direction.

A good way for a hardware guy to make a transition to software development might be to write some sys admin tools.

Or maybe create a portal for customers to log issues or a system for staff to record the steps to resolve a support problem.

The idea would be to convince your boss that you could create this application in your own time and the company could use it if it was good enough.

If your employer agrees to this and they start using your software the benefit to you is that you could write on your cv that you have commercial software development experience, and build from there.

Can you think of any applications that would make your job easier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 dannystaple

leahcim has some good points. I would have a look at the gamut of tools, and get to know some really well. I would suggest that if you are familiar with Windows, then get to know the .net platform, and if you are familiar with Linux or Mac, then perhaps get to know Java or Ruby.

The .net platform has the advantage that you can also write code in plenty of other languages to run with it, although C# will IMHO take you further generally than vb.net.

Advertisement