Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walks in Kerry

Options
  • 17-01-2010 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Down in the Kingdom for a week in Feb as was hoping to get out for a couple of walks. Looking for suggestions for walks that are relatively short (max 4 hrs). Also, will be walking on my own and given the time of year, looking for something that's not too taxing. Done a bit of reading and it seems Mangerton has a pretty visible trail right up to the Devil's punchbowl so might give that a lash - anyone been up and what kind of a walk is it?

Any other suggestions (perhaps Crohane?). Down that way last year for a few days and walked the Paps on a very misty day.

Just on a side note (and this should probably go in the Athletics forum) but anyone have any suggestions for scenic places to jog down that way. Running on the Cooleys today (Slieve Foye) - I was thinking perhaps the track around Torc might be good for running?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

A real hidden gem, that's not often walked, are the hills in Glencar - overlooking the Reeks and Dingle Day. The hills are Seefin; Colly; Colly East; etc - all on map 78. Amazing place, although quite remote...
    Try jogging round the Ring of Kerry, it's very scenic and there wont be much traffic on the road that time of year!

I'm just cutting a pasting a post I put up on mountainviews.ie lately on the subject of family walks in Killarney, so these may be a bit tame. But if you're on your own, they will be safe...and the first one, the tarred road around Muckross Lake, may be good for your jog.

Park the car in Muckross gardens, and there is a tarred road going all around Muckross Lake. It's a good 8km, but plenty to see, Muckross house itself, Colleen Bawn Rock, the old mines, the bridge where Muckross Lake meets Lough Leane, the Meeting of the Waters and there is even a tearoom along the way for refreshments. Only drawback is there is a stretch of a few hundred metres on the main road and traffic can be heavy enough depending on the time of day.

As for mountains, both Torc and Mangerton have trails all the way to the top. Torc is particularly user friendly, with sleepers across bogland and at a push could be done in runners, though road to the bottom of the mountain might have a few streams across that might flood. At the bottom of Torc there is a lovely waterfall (try Google images for all this stuff) and walks through the woods.

At the back of Torc there is also the Old Road to Kenmare, which is a lovely walk through the east side of the National Park, although road is crossed by a few streams and can be a bit boggy in places in wet weather. Very popular with walkers, but you should note that it's not a circuit. There's a branch of it that goes down to the Black Valley as well. A walk along the tarred road at the Gap of Dunloe is also lovely, Kate Kearney's Cottage at one end does bar food.

For something more adventurous, you could try climbing Purple Mountain from the Gap of Dunloe. Boots necessary for this one, but views from the top are stunning.

http://mountainviews.ie/

Apart from those easy ones, I'd invest in this book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Carrauntoohil-MacGillycuddys-Reeks-Irelands-Mountains/dp/1905172338

Has 15 or 20 walks through the Reeks, and gives difficulty ratings for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

I'm just cutting a pasting a post I put up on mountainviews.ie lately on the subject of family walks in Killarney, so these may be a bit tame. But if you're on your own, they will be safe...and the first one, the tarred road around Muckross Lake, may be good for your jog.

Park the car in Muckross gardens, and there is a tarred road going all around Muckross Lake. It's a good 8km, but plenty to see, Muckross house itself, Colleen Bawn Rock, the old mines, the bridge where Muckross Lake meets Lough Leane, the Meeting of the Waters and there is even a tearoom along the way for refreshments. Only drawback is there is a stretch of a few hundred metres on the main road and traffic can be heavy enough depending on the time of day.

As for mountains, both Torc and Mangerton have trails all the way to the top. Torc is particularly user friendly, with sleepers across bogland and at a push could be done in runners, though road to the bottom of the mountain might have a few streams across that might flood. At the bottom of Torc there is a lovely waterfall (try Google images for all this stuff) and walks through the woods.

At the back of Torc there is also the Old Road to Kenmare, which is a lovely walk through the east side of the National Park, although road is crossed by a few streams and can be a bit boggy in places in wet weather. Very popular with walkers, but you should note that it's not a circuit. There's a branch of it that goes down to the Black Valley as well. A walk along the tarred road at the Gap of Dunloe is also lovely, Kate Kearney's Cottage at one end does bar food.

For something more adventurous, you could try climbing Purple Mountain from the Gap of Dunloe. Boots necessary for this one, but views from the top are stunning.

http://mountainviews.ie/

Apart from those easy ones, I'd invest in this book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Carrauntoohil-MacGillycuddys-Reeks-Irelands-Mountains/dp/1905172338

Has 15 or 20 walks through the Reeks, and gives difficulty ratings for them

Cheers Conor for the detailed reply. I think I'll take a hike up Mangerton in the boots - been told it has a good distinct trail as far as the Devil's punchbowl so should make for a decent hike without being overly-demanding. Thinking of maybe having a run down through the Gap of Dungloe - walked down a bit of it with the kids last time we were down there but would like to get a look at the rest of it. Might take a run up Torc but not sure how slippy the sleepers might be for runners/trail runners.

paulocon wrote: »
    Cheers Conor for the detailed reply. I think I'll take a hike up Mangerton in the boots - been told it has a good distinct trail as far as the Devil's punchbowl so should make for a decent hike without being overly-demanding.

Very distinct path alright. Lots of people like it, I find it a bit tedious up to the Devil's Punchbowl myself, though views into Horses Glen from there are lovely. When there you can continue around the lake and on up to Mangerton. Bring a compass, have had to use it 2 or 3 times up there. The top is so flat and featureless that even getting from the mast that marks the summit back to the ridge overlooking the lake can be tricky when fog comes down.
    Thinking of maybe having a run down through the Gap of Dungloe

It leads into the Black Valley. You can go left, past the Church and on to the Upper Lake, but I don't think there are any boats back to Killarney at this time of the year. You can go right, into the back of the Black Valley, which is one of the starting points for some who climb Carrauntoohil, I really like that spot - you really get an idea of the size of the mountains when they are looming over you, and it's very quiet. Either way though, you should note that it is not a circuit and you will have to turn around and go back up through the Gap of Dunloe.
    Might take a run up Torc but not sure how slippy the sleepers might be for runners/trail runners.

Have done it in runners. Not sure I'd run it. The sleepers are covered in wire mesh so can easily walk fast along them, but running might be pushing the traction on them.

A real hidden gem, that's not often walked, are the hills in Glencar - overlooking the Reeks and Dingle Day. The hills are Seefin; Colly; Colly East; etc - all on map 78. Amazing place, although quite remote...
    Try jogging round the Ring of Kerry, it's very scenic and there wont be much traffic on the road that time of year!

Cheers Nathan - just had a look at sheet 78 and Cooly/Colly East looks a possibility - looks like it could be a fair drive from Killarney though?

The ring of Kerry!! Took us a day to drive around it last year so I'd probably jog it in around 5 months!! Know of any stretches that are jogger friendly.. actually, isn't there a Kerry Way? I'm sure some of that could be jogged with trail runners..

• Advertisement

Very distinct path alright. Lots of people like it, I find it a bit tedious up to the Devil's Punchbowl myself, though views into Horses Glen from there are lovely. When there you can continue around the lake and on up to Mangerton. Bring a compass, have had to use it 2 or 3 times up there. The top is so flat and featureless that even getting from the mast that marks the summit back to the ridge overlooking the lake can be tricky when fog comes down.

It leads into the Black Valley. You can go left, past the Church and on to the Upper Lake, but I don't think there are any boats back to Killarney at this time of the year. You can go right, into the back of the Black Valley, which is one of the starting points for some who climb Carrauntoohil, I really like that spot - you really get an idea of the size of the mountains when they are looming over you, and it's very quiet. Either way though, you should note that it is not a circuit and you will have to turn around and go back up through the Gap of Dunloe.

Have done it in runners. Not sure I'd run it. The sleepers are covered in wire mesh so can easily walk fast along them, but running might be pushing the traction on them.

Conor,

Thanks again for all that. Cheers for the info on Magnerton - I've heard that the route up is not to everyone's taste but just looking to get out and get some air so don't mind that.

Been on those wire mesh covered sleepers up on Djouce in Wicklow and I agree, the grip isn't always the best. Gap of Dungloe sounds great - not too bothered about having to track back.. I can think of far worse places to have to look at the same surroundings twice!!

Know of any stretches that are jogger friendly.. actually, isn't there a Kerry Way? I'm sure some of that could be jogged with trail runners..

The road through Gap of Dunloe should be jogger friendly, insofar as it is tarred, though a bit hilly...the mile or two from the Black Valley Church up to the Head of the Gap would test a runners fitness. Think there was a half marathon through it with over 100 runners last November, in pretty bad weather too.

The National Park around Muckross House and Muckross Abbey has loads of tarred roads that probably would be good for jogging, flat too.

The road through Gap of Dunloe should be jogger friendly, insofar as it is tarred, though a bit hilly...the mile or two from the Black Valley Church up to the Head of the Gap would test a runners fitness. Think there was a half marathon through it with over 100 runners last November, in pretty bad weather too.

The National Park around Muckross House and Muckross Abbey has loads of tarred roads that probably would be good for jogging, flat too.

Thanks for all that. I did some research last night - have an ongoing long term plan to climb all the 2000 footers in Paddy Dillon's 'The Mountains of Ireland' so went through that and picked out some hills that should be possible for a quick up and down this time of year. A few that stood out were Boughil and Cnoc na gCapall/Knocknacappul, Knockbrack and Dromderalough, Colly as well as Magnerton so looks to be plenty of choice. Hope to get back down in the summer to do a couple of full-day walks and take on the more challenging mountains.

If you're at the top of Mangerton, you can bag Dromderalough, Knockbrack and maybe even Knockrower by simply walking from there back towards Kenmare town. Much of it is downhill so quite easy, have done it myself before a couple of times, but it's a bit of a long walk, maybe about 2 hours to get Dromderalough and Knockbrack and a further hour or so to a tarred road - just follow the stream down from Red Trout Lake to Cummeenslaun, and there's a trail back to a tarred road. All very safe though, apart from area in Mangerton above the Horses Glen which is a bit sheer.

Boughil is very quick, can park at lake and just follow a fence on the North side of the mountain to the summit in about 45 mins. If you stay near the fence you'll be safe out, the side overlooking the lake itself a bit steeper.

Mullaghanattin would be my favourite. Combines that feeling of being a proper climb, mountain itself exposed and steep, yet still very accessible - no slog across a bog to get to it. Can park car at Ballaghbeama and head straight for it. Have put up a review on Mountainviews.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

Hi Paul, Sorry, just saw your question now about Colly. It would prob take about an hour to get into there from Killarney.
    Conor's suggestions sound great. A lovely hour'ish jog is around Muckross Lake, good paths all around with no cars, just horses and bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

For maps, I would invest in the Harveys Superwalker 1:30000 map which covers the Reeks and Killarney. Much more detailed then sheet 78, but of course covers a smaller area as a result. Shows all the trails and paths to greater detail. Avoid the OSI 1:25000 map of the same area - it is surprisingly unreliable, even more so the sheet 78, despite being a more detailed scale.

Must do Colly myself, was up Meenteog which I think is the next one to the North. Was there late last summer and it was stunning, and had planned to do the circuit of Coomasharn but it was late evening and we had to turn around rather than push it.

If you're at the top of Mangerton, you can bag Dromderalough, Knockbrack and maybe even Knockrower by simply walking from there back towards Kenmare town. Much of it is downhill so quite easy, have done it myself before a couple of times, but it's a bit of a long walk, maybe about 2 hours to get Dromderalough and Knockbrack and a further hour or so to a tarred road - just follow the stream down from Red Trout Lake to Cummeenslaun, and there's a trail back to a tarred road. All very safe though, apart from area in Mangerton above the Horses Glen which is a bit sheer.

Boughil is very quick, can park at lake and just follow a fence on the North side of the mountain to the summit in about 45 mins. If you stay near the fence you'll be safe out, the side overlooking the lake itself a bit steeper.

Mullaghanattin would be my favourite. Combines that feeling of being a proper climb, mountain itself exposed and steep, yet still very accessible - no slog across a bog to get to it. Can park car at Ballaghbeama and head straight for it. Have put up a review on Mountainviews.ie.

Cheers for all the advice - very helpful. I'll do Boughil and Knocknacappul and probably also Dromderalough and Knockbrack (from the forest). If time permits, I'll take a walk up Mangerton as well. Got hold of the Harvey's superwalker map as suggested. Mullaghanattin was one I hadn't looked at so that's worth considering - you guys are really spoiled for choice down there!!

Cheers for all the advice - very helpful. I'll do Boughil and Knocknacappul and probably also Dromderalough and Knockbrack (from the forest).

If by 'from the forest' you mean the south side off the Kilgarvan Kenmare road, that might not be the most attractive or accessible side. Don't want to prescribe your weekend for you, but there is a really nice way of taking all that area in - look at the Harvey map and locate V925753, the end of a tarred road in Gowlane, Kenmare. You can walk up a track to Cummeenslaun Lake, and then follow the river that leads from Nambbrackdarrig (this is called Red Trout Lake in some guides). The circuit is very obvious from here - before you reach that lake you can then branch off North and do Knockrower, walk past all the lovely lakes like Triangle Lake and Lough Keal to Dromdiralough, and then back to Cummenslaun via Knockbrack. The walk you propose is lovely, but imo Knockbrack would possibly be less attractive than the other two summits (you get much the same view to the South and out the Kenmare Bay, but on Knockrower your view to the North and over the National Park is a bit blocked), and the stretch between Knockrower and Dromdiralough with all those lakes is really lovely.

dogmatix wrote: »
    For maps, I would invest in the Harveys Superwalker 1:30000 map which covers the Reeks and Killarney. Much more detailed then sheet 78, but of course covers a smaller area as a result. Shows all the trails and paths to greater detail. Avoid the OSI 1:25000 map of the same area - it is surprisingly unreliable, even more so the sheet 78, despite being a more detailed scale.

Sat down today and had a good look at the Harvey's map and it's absolutely superb..

One interesting thing I spotted is that Harvey's have spot height 639 marked as Boughil while it is marked as spot height 631 on the OSI 1:50000 map. Paddy Dillon lists Boughil as 631m and Knocknacappul as 639 in 'Mountains of Ireland'. Interesting that Paddy generated his list using on-site appraisals choosing only summit that 'looked' seperate to their neighbours...

If by 'from the forest' you mean the south side off the Kilgarvan Kenmare road, that might not be the most attractive or accessible side. Don't want to prescribe your weekend for you, but there is a really nice way of taking all that area in - look at the Harvey map and locate V925753, the end of a tarred road in Gowlane, Kenmare. You can walk up a track to Cummeenslaun Lake, and then follow the river that leads from Nambbrackdarrig (this is called Red Trout Lake in some guides). The circuit is very obvious from here - before you reach that lake you can then branch off North and do Knockrower, walk past all the lovely lakes like Triangle Lake and Lough Keal to Dromdiralough, and then back to Cummenslaun via Knockbrack. The walk you propose is lovely, but imo Knockbrack would possibly be less attractive than the other two summits (you get much the same view to the South and out the Kenmare Bay, but on Knockrower your view to the North and over the National Park is a bit blocked), and the stretch between Knockrower and Dromdiralough with all those lakes is really lovely.

That's the forest I was looking at alright - seemed to be the route mentioned on mountainviews but that route you have suggested looks smashing.. think the decision will ultimately come down to how much time I can escape from the clan for!

Sorry to quote myself, but want to correct a small error...confusing my Knocks...
    The walk you propose is lovely, but imo Knockbrack would possibly be less attractive than the other two summits (you get much the same view to the South and out the Kenmare Bay, but on Knockbrack your view to the North and over the National Park is a bit blocked), and the stretch between Knockrower and Dromdiralough with all those lakes is really lovely.
    One interesting thing I spotted is that Harvey's have spot height 639 marked as Boughil while it is marked as spot height 631 on the OSI 1:50000 map. Paddy Dillon lists Boughil as 631m and Knocknacappul as 639 in 'Mountains of Ireland'. Interesting that Paddy generated his list using on-site appraisals choosing only summit that 'looked' seperate to their neighbours...

Much and all as I like the Harveys, think they might have erred here. Certainly in the locality Boughil is taken as the peak immediately west of (and towering over) Barfinnihy Lake, being the 631 height. The Harveys map shows the fence that runs around the North of the lake and leads from the car park to the cairn at the top and is a great route to follow, with lovely views over the Black Valley and across to the Reeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

mangerton torc and brandon all have visible trails to the top, Brandon would be more than 4 hours though. Apparently the walk from killarney to kenmare is supposed to be very nice but would probably take way more than 4 hours I would suggest walking out that way for 2 hrs and then walking back,its not as boring as it sounds.

sheesh wrote: »
    Apparently the walk from killarney to kenmare is supposed to be very nice but would probably take way more than 4 hours I would suggest walking out that way for 2 hrs and then walking back,its not as boring as it sounds.

If walking from Killarney one could walk as far as the col between Knockanaguish and Peakeen, would be about 3 hours or maybe less from Torc, to the point where you can see the Kenmare Bay, and turn around then. If drive arranged, need only go back the hour or so to Galways Bridge rather than retrace all the steps back.

Hi all,

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I'm off at the weekend to Kerry. Was studying my Harvey's map and seen a few other walks that might be of interest.

I was thinking of maybe taking a walk up Cnoc na d'Tarbh and Cnoc na Bhraca to get myself some views of the Reeks. Seems like the best way to do so would be via Drishana from the head of the gap as it's quite boggy from the other side. Anyone been up this way?

The other walk I was looking at was Purple-Shehy-Tomies. Looks like it could be a superb walk with decent views both over the lake and out to the reeks. Again, looks like the Head of the Gap might be the best way to tackle this walk..

Really spoilt for choice in fairness - pity my time will be limited. I think a long weekend in the summer is on the cards!

• Advertisement

I was thinking of maybe taking a walk up Cnoc na d'Tarbh and Cnoc na Bhraca to get myself some views of the Reeks. Seems like the best way to do so would be via Drishana from the head of the gap as it's quite boggy from the other side. Anyone been up this way?

No, usually go from Black Valley, near Church, and go up Lough Googh and on up to Knocknapeasta. It's quite quick to get up the Eastern Reeks that way, and get onto the Big Gun, other way looks to me like a bit of a slog but could be wrong.
    The other walk I was looking at was Purple-Shehy-Tomies. Looks like it could be a superb walk with decent views both over the lake and out to the reeks. Again, looks like the Head of the Gap might be the best way to tackle this walk..

Yeah, can be done either way, clockwise or anticlockwise, no real preference. Views are fantastic. I would probably marginally prefer leaving car at Head of the Gap below Purople Mountain and walking down road towards Kate Kearney's first to get warmed up and get the tarred road part out of the way, and also doing it slightly downhill. Then at the end of the lakes branching off cross country and going up the Chimnies (their location is given on the Kelly book, east of the bridge between Coosaun Lake and Black Lake) which are a nice climb up Tomies and off across the range then.

Thanks for all the help/advice. I got very lucky with the weather last Tuesday and ended up doing a circuit of the Gap - started at the head of the gap and done Purple Mountain, Tomies South, Shehy, Tomies then back down through that awful heather. Thanks to whoever mentioned the green shed, a great guide when coming down.

I then walked back up by Kate Kearneys and took the zig-zag turf road up towards Strikeen and over through the bog to Cnoc Na Braca and down to Cnoc na dTarbh before dropping back down to the road above the head of the gap.

Light covering of snow and clear skies made for superb conditions - the reeks really look amazing when snow-covered. Can't wait to get back down!

back down through that awful heather.

Its a curse. If you go for the Chimnies, some of the route is the worst mix possible, ankle testing boulders covered with heather and ferns. Part of me thinks it needs a good path. But on the other hand, part of me thinks half the fun of getting out there, plus it deters the 'park the car and chance your hand' hordes that might otherwise spoil the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I was in Kilarney there at the weekend. Even though my home place is only 40 mins from there, I found Magnerton and Torc, places I didn't know even existed before (particularly being relatively new to hiking).

On Friday we decided to find the trail up Magnerton for future reference, then decided to walk a little. Seeing as it was about 1445 we decide that we would turn at half 3. It seemed like it would make a great and taxing walk sometime later in the year. At the moment it seems to be pretty well covered in snow from about half way up.

On Saturday we started early and went up Torc. Easily walk than we thought it would be, the sleepers make it pretty quick in parts. Nice view down into Kilarney and Muckross from the top, can see the lakes etc.

One thing we noticed on Saturday was how fast the weather can change. I was aware of this from locals but it is something to watch out for. Torc was okay but looking across at Magnerton, the mist and fog descended on it very quickly.

All in all, good craic and I must try out more in the coming months.

Advertisement