Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

arts

Options
  • 17-01-2010 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Anyone else think the layout of the arts course in ucd sucks..?like how can you talk to anyone when there's like 300-500 people in your lectures..? Anyone else having the same problem..? Is it bad that I havent made any new friends even though I am in 2nd yr arts..??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

I'm also in 2nd year Arts and see where you're coming from with class sizes etc... Have to say, that I don't really have many mates in my course either, most are from other course or other extra-curricular activities (which is the only way that you will meet anyone in UCD)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

+1. Various shows I did and the newly founded Musical Society have been great. I'm a founding member!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

Another arts student here. It's ridiculously impersonal. People are so quiet in tutorials too, like they're afraid of talking or something. I thought that would end after first year but obviously not.

Pretty much all of my friends are from societies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Gingy wrote: »
    extra-curricular activities (which is the only way that you will meet anyone in UCD)

I dont think thats necessarily true, i think everyone's course people-wise is a mixed bag so you just never know whether you'll get to know someone in your classes. In saying that while i have had terrible trouble with this in the past the only reason its worked out for me this time round is because ive gotten to know people in slightly smaller classes, i have done a number of big classes and i agree it must be very hard to get to know people in lecture theatres that size consistently.

OP, no of course its not bad, the college life that most people rave about is more elusive that those people think. I feel speaking from experience that you only really try to get to know people in the first couple of weeks(Both because you get tired of trying and because you assume that after the first couple of weeks everyones found their group anyway) and then you just fall into the rut of telling yourself you just need to go in, do your work and leave. All i can say if you think youre like that too is keep chatting to people beside you and you never know what might happen. Unfortunately its a pain in the ass, especially since youre in second year but you dont get anywhere unless you try.

Good luck mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭meathawk

I've made no new friends in Arts directly like when I am in a lecture by myself without people I knew pre-UCD. New semester, new hope I suppose. I'll have to try to get myself out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Yeh, it can be bad alright. People being afraid to talk in tutorials is ridiculous at this age.

The vast majority of new people I've met in UCD, since coming to UCD have been through working in Dunnes Stores, a class trip and a small group/society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

In my three months of UCD time I've made a load of friends but right, all of them through living on campus, 2 in tutorials and 1 in my lecture :)

I think the thing is that all the people who commute to UCD stick with their school friends and then all the people who move for UCD stick with the people that they live with or so on,

And as for tutorials it's completely true that people are quiete, whenever I say anything in mine they kinda just look at you :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭xxzaraxx

meathawk wrote: »
    I've made no new friends in Arts directly like when I am in a lecture by myself without people I knew pre-UCD. New semester, new hope I suppose. I'll have to try to get myself out there.

You see the problem is that I'm from the north side so none of my friends from secondary school go here. . well not anymore :p my best mate was in commerce in 1st year but she dropped out and my other friend is still repeating first year exams so. . all alone:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭McNuggy

Yeh i know what you guys mean. Hard to talk to people in lectures when theres a bazillion people and youd probably never sit beside the same person twice!

What subjects you doin OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

Perhaps its just me who see's this as blatantly obvious but it appears everyone in this thread...

1) Goes to UCD
    2) Wants to Meet new friends

Why not organize a piss up with the people in the thread? :pac:

• Advertisement

yeah but i dont wanna look desperate haha plus havent got any money . . stil havent seen my grant yet :mad:

xxzaraxx wrote: »
    yeah but i dont wanna look desperate haha plus havent got any money . . stil havent seen my grant yet :mad:

Well, you clearly want to make friends whats the difference between UCD boards people and those in your tutorials? :P

McNuggy wrote: »
    Yeh i know what you guys mean. Hard to talk to people in lectures when theres a bazillion people and youd probably never sit beside the same person twice!

What subjects you doin OP?

I'm doing sociology as my major and greek and roman civilisation as my minor. wbu..?

TDOie wrote: »
    Well, you clearly want to make friends whats the difference between UCD boards people and those in your tutorials? :P

If you talk to someone in a tutorial they either dont talk back or think u're weirdo for talking to them at al:p

If you talk to someone in a tutorial they either dont talk back or think u're weirdo for talking to them at al:p

Well, there's plenty of ways to make friends in UCD. I don't see why boards would be THAT much weirder. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

For the record it isn't just arts. The science omnibus is just as bad and at least you guys fit in your lecture theatres!;) There are four hundred and seven students in my organic chemistry module. The class is that big we had to move to the arts block! Sucks majorly but everyones right. If you want to meet people in UCD do a sport or society!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

Anyone else think the layout of the arts course in ucd sucks..?like how can you talk to anyone when there's like 300-500 people in your lectures..? Anyone else having the same problem..? Is it bad that I havent made any new friends even though I am in 2nd yr arts..??

Join societies!! One of THE best way to make friends. And it's not just in Art but in Science too (however to a lesser degree).

Michaelrsh wrote: »
    Join societies!! One of THE best way to make friends. And it's not just in Art but in Science too (however to a lesser degree).

well I joined the law soc and l&h in 1st yr but havent heard from them since. I went on the mystery tour in sept with the intention of making new friends. . the problem is I made new friends, I just couldnt remember them the nxt day :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I'm doing sociology as my major and greek and roman civilisation as my minor. wbu..?

Greek and Roman Civ is a pretty small class. I did it and each year there is always fewer people there. In final year there us usually only about 30 per class.

You should meet some people there mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

A number of people warned me that UCD arts would be impersonal but I didn't fully believe them until I went there myself.
    I had two lectures today, both c.500 students. Not exactly an intimate affair.

My mates do science but our timetables conflict completely. When I have a lecture, they have a break and vice versa.

• Advertisement

Greek and Roman Civ is a pretty small class. I did it and each year there is always fewer people there. In final year there us usually only about 30 per class.

You should meet some people there mate.

I had a greek and roman civilistation lecture today and it was in theatre R. . still impersonal

A number of people warned me that UCD arts would be impersonal but I didn't fully believe them until I went there myself.
    I had two lectures today, both c.500 students. Not exactly an intimate affair.

My mates do science but our timetables conflict completely. When I have a lecture, they have a break and vice versa.

What modules are u taking..?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

join a society,L&H is more of a company than a society,the smaller societies are much,much better.

I came up knowing nobody in UCD, I joined Gamesoc,yeah i'm one of THOSE and can now say I know most of the people in the society.

what are your interests? there's probably a society specific enough to it.

There's a boards beers coming up,come along to it.None of us know each other so you won't be the onlyone who won't know anyone there.We may be nerdy,but we're people none the less :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

join a society,L&H is more of a company than a society,the smaller societies are much,much better.

I came up knowing nobody in UCD, I joined Gamesoc,yeah i'm one of THOSE and can now say I know most of the people in the society.

+1, I always found smaller societies and sports clubs to be the best way to get to know people in UCD. Gamesoc is a lot of fun, even if it's been a very long time since I've been to any events!

There's a boards beers coming up,come along to it.None of us know each other so you won't be the onlyone who won't know anyone there.We may be nerdy,but we're people none the less :pac:

Hmmm wats the game soc about..?computer games..??and what exactly is boards beers..??wel drinking is probably my favourite past time haha but yeah sure there's a 1st 4 evrytin. When's the boards beer..??

Hmmm wats the game soc about..?computer games..??and what exactly is boards beers..??wel drinking is probably my favourite past time haha but yeah sure there's a 1st 4 evrytin. When's the boards beer..??

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055796142&page=3

Looks like a time is being finalized!

TDOie wrote: »

But they were talking about the boards beers in the thread in 2005, 2006 and 2008 and 2009..?

But they were talking about the boards beers in the thread in 2005, 2006 and 2008 and 2009..?

Nope, if you look its all dated from the past couple of days. There is going to be a boards beers session (by the looks of things) next Wednesday @ 8pm ish in the Forum bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,575 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It can be tough going meeting people because of the sheer size of the place but as others said try and join a few societies, go to a few organsied nights out, try and talk to people in seminars etc.

Refreshers week must be on soon too, right?

• Advertisement

It can be tough going meeting people because of the sheer size of the place but as others said try and join a few societies, go to a few organsied nights out, try and talk to people in seminars etc.

Refreshers week must be on soon too, right?

"The Annual UCD Re-Freshers Day will take place on Wednesday, February 3rd in the Astra Hall. "

Advertisement