Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

arts

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

xxzaraxx wrote: »
    well I joined the law soc and l&h in 1st yr but havent heard from them since. I went on the mystery tour in sept with the intention of making new friends. . the problem is I made new friends, I just couldnt remember them the nxt day :p

Law soc and L&H are fairly big societies as they are and the main things they organise are debates and they seem fairly formal. I think there's like 4000 people who are members of L&H alone. If you really want to make friends join a society that interests you. For example, if you're interested in computers and such join the netsoc, if you're interested in politics join a political party, if you interested in sci-fi join the sci-fi soc, if you're interested in comedy join the comedy soc, etc..

If you do this you might meet people who have the same views and interests as you. Make sure when you meet new people to a) remember their name b) their face (even if you're drunk) and c) be confident to go up to them and actually speak to them, not just on the first occasion you meet them but whenever you see them. Ask them if they're free and want to go and have coffee or lunch, it always helps.

I find sometimes that it's hard to actually find these new people again after you meet them the first time; they might be doing a different degree and thus might be on a different part of the campus to you most of the time. This is very hard to deal with and is one aspect of college life where I myself find it hard to make friends. Consequently most of my friends are doing either the same degree as me or some of the same modules.

TDOie wrote: »
    "The Annual UCD Re-Freshers Day will take place on Wednesday, February 3rd in the Astra Hall. "

Merci.

join a society,L&H is more of a company than a society,the smaller societies are much,much better.

I came up knowing nobody in UCD, I joined Gamesoc,yeah i'm one of THOSE and can now say I know most of the people in the society.

what are your interests? there's probably a society specific enough to it.

There's a boards beers coming up,come along to it.None of us know each other so you won't be the onlyone who won't know anyone there.We may be nerdy,but we're people none the less :pac:

Game soc should be remained the 'Blob-soc', seriously.

Is that boards-beers thing actually going ahead. Where? and what time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭xxzaraxx

Michaelrsh wrote: »
    Law soc and L&H are fairly big societies as they are and the main things they organise are debates and they seem fairly formal. I think there's like 4000 people who are members of L&H alone. If you really want to make friends join a society that interests you. For example, if you're interested in computers and such join the netsoc, if you're interested in politics join a political party, if you interested in sci-fi join the sci-fi soc, if you're interested in comedy join the comedy soc, etc..

If you do this you might meet people who have the same views and interests as you. Make sure when you meet new people to a) remember their name b) their face (even if you're drunk) and c) be confident to go up to them and actually speak to them, not just on the first occasion you meet them but whenever you see them. Ask them if they're free and want to go and have coffee or lunch, it always helps.

I find sometimes that it's hard to actually find these new people again after you meet them the first time; they might be doing a different degree and thus might be on a different part of the campus to you most of the time. This is very hard to deal with and is one aspect of college life where I myself find it hard to make friends. Consequently most of my friends are doing either the same degree as me or some of the same modules.

Yeah checked out the socs and to be honest none of them interest me. . is der a drinkin society :Dor wud that be considered connected with that boards beers ting thats suppose to be happening next wednesday?

TDOie wrote: »
    Nope, if you look its all dated from the past couple of days. There is going to be a boards beers session (by the looks of things) next Wednesday @ 8pm ish in the Forum bar.

that boards beers ting sounds gd. . they shud jus create a drink soc:D. . but they should organise the boards beers ting for an earlier time bcos some people, lik myself, dont live on campus so wouldnt be much fun if the people that didn live on campus could only drink for 3hours tops:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭je suis awesome

ok this is putting me off orts

ok this is putting me off orts

yeah tell me about it. . and Im in my second year haha btw love how you used the word orts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

xxzaraxx wrote: »
    Yeah checked out the socs and to be honest none of them interest me. . is der a drinkin society :Dor wud that be considered connected with that boards beers ting thats suppose to be happening next wednesday?

The Dutch Soc is modelled after a short lived Trinity Soc called the Dutch gold Soc. Dutch gold being an alcoholic beverage of dubious quality but low in price. Basically every soc there is an excuse to drink so join them all except the big ones like the L&H and Law Soc, they are shit and full of morons in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

that's arts.... by third year its still the same story. now with budget cuts my history tutorials are overwhelming. 30+ people packed around a tiny table, the setup is meant to aid 'interaction'. pffft

Advertisement