Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 Woes

Options
  • 17-01-2010 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi All.
    I'm looking for some help on my Windows 7 install.
    Everything went fine except for the "Ethernet Controller".......which has stopped working....

My Pc is as follows.....(don't laugh it's served me well)
    Mobo: MSI K8N Neo Platinum
    Processor: AMD64
    Ram: 2Gig.
    HDD: 3 Sata, 3 Pata.
    and so on.

I cannot get online without it (i think) and the drivers are not available (or I'm blind and can't find them).....
    Should I just go back to XP?
    Should I do a complete upgrade of mobo and cpu?

Any help would be great...thanks..

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Why are there no drivers? Haven't you checked MSIs website?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Or have you tried the vista drivers? They should work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

And FYI the vista drivers will work in windows 7 too. Now dont go blaming the OS if there are no drivers for the hardware, thats just silly !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Check in the device manager as well to find out which aspects of the your hardware you need to install drivers for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 shiner1

Solitaire wrote: »
    Why are there no drivers? Haven't you checked MSIs website?

Yup, tried and no good, win 7 drivers not available yet.....

Check in the device manager as well to find out which aspects of the your hardware you need to install drivers for.

Device Manager shows 1 unknown device, Ethernet Controller, device will not start, no drivers available.

got me stumped...

Anti wrote: »
    And FYI the vista drivers will work in windows 7 too. Now dont go blaming the OS if there are no drivers for the hardware, thats just silly !

Sorry for sounding like an idiot but can you see any vista drivers for my mobo...... only ones on the MSI site are for XP and 2K.....

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

shiner1 wrote: »
    Sorry for sounding like an idiot but can you see any vista drivers for my mobo...... only ones on the MSI site are for XP and 2K.....
    Have you tryed the XP Drivers, my Belkin wireless USB Thing runs from XP Drivers on Windows 7 as far as i know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Msi are known for this, just download the winxp ones and right click and install as administrator. If that fails run it in compatibility mode for win xp.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I doubt it helps that it's a S754 mobo with an ancient nForce3 chipset... don't know if nVidia ever published Vista drivers for them, they're crap at legacy support. The problem may not even be MSI... :o

Solitaire wrote: »
    I doubt it helps that it's a S754 mobo with an ancient nForce3 chipset... don't know if nVidia ever published Vista drivers for them, they're crap at legacy support. The problem may not even be MSI... :o

That's all I keep reading online.....

begining to think upgrade is the only way.....

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

That's all I keep reading online.....

begining to think upgrade is the only way.....

Theres a decent MSI MoBo on komplett (and all other sites) for something like 39 quid, AM2+. You sould check it out as a cheap upgrade, as far as i know the cheapest MoBo for AMD processor's (correct me if im wrong)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

They only ever released beta drivers for Vista.

you could give them a go though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Surely there's a generic driver that would work? I can't remember ever installing ethernet drivers even in XP they all just worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

as suggested, try xp drivers in xp mode, or beta vista drivers.

if all else fails buy this or ask a techie friend who is bound to have one at the bottom of a box somewhere.

Advertisement