Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

copying sky plus on external media

Options
  • 17-01-2010 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Folks,
    Is there anyway, I can copy saved program from sky plus to external device, i.e. usb etc.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Depends on what media you have in mind. You can easily copy them on to a dvd if you have a dvd recorder hooked up. Or even a vcr. If you go down that road remember you will have to watch whatever program you are saving. You cannot watch another satellite channel or thats what will be saved/copied.Remember you can only do this for private purposes. Anything else is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭leom

Depends on what media you have in mind. You can easily copy them on to a dvd if you have a dvd recorder hooked up. Or even a vcr. If you go down that road remember you will have to watch whatever program you are saving. You cannot watch another satellite channel or thats what will be saved/copied.

can you save it on usb?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Not as of now. That usb socket at the back of the sky+ box is idle. Though I think some of the newer tvs have a usb connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

leom wrote: »
    can you save it on usb?

No, but yeah, but no, but . . .

"No" - What you do 'normally' is connect up a DVD recorder (by scart cable) and press play on the Sky box or else press copy on a few programs and then press play on the Sky box to record them all in sequence.

"But yeah" - all you need is to replace the scart cable to the DVD recorder with a 'thing' that has a scart connection on one end, electronics in the middle and a USB connector at the other end - then you stick your USB key on the end, push the relevant buttons and away you go.

"But no" - I haven't come across these on sale generally, but there's no reason they shouldn't exist.

"But" - you could do this with a laptop with a video-in connection of one form or other - just hook it up to the scart or component output on the Sky box, tell your laptop to record and away you go.

I spent a good few hours over Christmas feeding DVD-Rs into the DVD recorder and copying everything off the Sky+ box in advance of cancelling Sky. It works no problem, although it looks like RTE (or Sky) were flagging some broadcasts as copy protected for a while and these wouldn't copy as a result - the DVD recorder flashed up a meesage saying "not recording" or something. As above you have to play it out for the full length, so it kind of ties up your box for the same length of time. I used to cue up 3 hours or content at night, press play/record, go to sleep and then it would be done in the morning. I also used to set up a few recording sessions while I was working from home and the kids were out for the day. It was happily working away with the TV off.

z

Advertisement