Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Nuvi 860

Options
  • 17-01-2010 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Have recently bought a Garmin Nuvi 860 to replace my Sony Nav-u53 thinking it would be a much better machine. Having used other Garmin models, i thought this would be a really great machine, as it seems to have everything on it...fm transmitter, mp3 capability, bluetooth, voice recognition, the list goes on.

I am however a bit disappointed with its performance. It seems to be plagued with bugs, most of them are quirks i can live with, however although the main problems are as follows:-

1. Although the voice recognition works, the only thing it doesnt work with is when you are trying to input an address...the main reason why i bought this particular model.....it immediately comes up with a message "no speech recognition data available for this area", and a voice says "please use touch screen"

2. It "crashes" or freezes several times a day, usually when starting the vehicle...it remains off and cant be restarted without doing a restart..(hold off/on key 8seconds etc.) It has even crashed during a navigation for no apparent reason.

3 There are other little things. Like the fm transmitter doesnt always come on, Again a restart is the only answer. None of its other quirks are really worth mentioning, so ill put these ones out to see if anyone has any answers or at least be able to tell me if this model is particularly plagued with bugs.

I have also done a major reboot which has made no difference to performance, and have today downloaded version 4.70 which will hopefully cure something. Otherwise, any words of wisdom would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance to all!

Advertisement