Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

xbox vs sony ps3

• 17-01-2010 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

which one is the best and why? please explain pros and cons. I need to buy one.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Answer is in the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

leom wrote: »
    which one is the best and why? please explain pros and cons. I need to buy one.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

the ps3 is better because its an xbox. the 360 is superior though cos its a ps3.

IBTL.

I have an xbox and a wii but too be honest it seems like these days that the ps3 is getting a lot of great exclusive games likes uncharted and heavy rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Atari Jaguar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Neither is "better" against the other, although some will argue this point. But each one has pro's and con's that are best for you.

360 pros;
    1. Large and established XBox live community meaning that there's almost someone playing the same game as you somewhere.
    2. Cheaper of the two
    3. Extensive back catalogue of games
    4. XBox Live Arcade
    5. More exclusives, and DLC

360 cons;
    1. RRoD
    2. Slightly more noisy than PS3
    3. limeted HDD options
    4. Can't play HD videos, need seperate disc drive which are expensive.

PS3 Pro's
    1. Blu-ray
    2. quieter
    3. Free Online play
    4. Better looking game because of the increased space on the disc's

PS3 Con's
    1. Free online play means alot of tools online at any one time.
    2. More reports of Yellow Ring of Death

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

LD 50 wrote: »
    [*]Better looking game because of the increased space on the disc's[/LIST]
    Just curious. Do you actually compare both consoles running both games? I don't, but I do have somewhere to follow up on multiplatform games and how they fare against each other. Would be interested to see other sources on this than the one I use.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox-360-vs-ps3-face-off-round-19-article (Note on page 1, it links to the previous articles. Go to whichever one you would like to see a particular game compared.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

imho (assuming you will be playing games online) I would find out which one most of your friends have and get that one. I have both a PS3 and xbox but I hardly ever play the PS3 because my mates have the xbox so that's what gets used the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

the sony sixthy thirthy is the best two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Free online play doesnt encourage "tools" to play online, that just your opinion.

The poster you quoted clearly hasn't been on xbox live any time since it's launch :D

Go play COD or GOW on Live and come back to us with your reports LD 50

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

360 is the best cause i own 1 and if ye say its not it will dent my ego.(Satire):rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭leom

Neither is "better" against the other, although some will argue this point. But each one has pro's and con's that are best for you.

360 pros;
    1. Large and established XBox live community meaning that there's almost someone playing the same game as you somewhere.
    2. Cheaper of the two
    3. Extensive back catalogue of games
    4. XBox Live Arcade
    5. More exclusives, and DLC

360 cons;
    1. RRoD
    2. Slightly more noisy than PS3
    3. limeted HDD options
    4. Can't play HD videos, need seperate disc drive which are expensive.

PS3 Pro's
    1. Blu-ray
    2. quieter
    3. Free Online play
    4. Better looking game because of the increased space on the disc's

PS3 Con's
    1. Free online play means alot of tools online at any one time.
    2. More reports of Yellow Ring of Death

Thanks for detail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Depends on how much money you have. If you can afford it get a PS3 it does more so may offer more use than just a games console, if not an xbox is still a great machine and it has mass effect 2 !! which is simply the best exclusive on any machine. But the xbox does cost extra at every corner from Live subscriptions to batteries for the controller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

For the love of God buy a Playstation. I am on my third xbox since October. I have had one red light, three red lights, and a disc reading error. Regardless of the merits of the xbox when it actually is working, an xbox will do nothing but please you greatly and then break your heart, over and over again. I rue the day I purchased the cursed thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

the 360 comes in black and white
    the ps3 only comes in black

360 ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

[*]Large and established XBox live community meaning that there's almost someone playing the same game as you somewhere.

At this stage I'd hardly say that's a point to be made against the PS3. The online system may not be as fleshed out on PSN but it's certainly large and in charge. I believe the last released figures said the system had more people online then 360 (helped along by the fact that it's free of course)
    LIGHTNING wrote: »
    PS3`s blue ray drive is the main reason why its more expensive than the xbox.

In fairness I'd gladly fork over €50 extra for a machine that has a blu-ray drive inside along with wifi adapter and a controller that is play-and-charge compatible from the outset.

From a savings point of view, comparing the elite 360 (€250) and the ps3 (€300), your 360 still needs a Wifi adapter (€60) & Play-n-charge kit (€20) which brings the cost back up. You then need to buy xbox live to play online (€50 per year) and if you like DLC you can't easily expand the memory with a new HDD (i.e. Sony uses a standard 2.5" hard disk with an easy-to-use bay to install with).

I'm sorry to critique so harsh, but the argument that the 360 is cheaper is a load of bull. Yes you can go online to source these parts cheaper, but source them for €50. And if you do... then you may as well source the PS3 online too, to get a bargain.

Having said that, if everyone you know has a 360 and you want to play online you're probably better off with the 360. It's also worth noting that if all you want is Halo & Gears then the PS3 won't be your bag. Yes it has alternatives like Killzone & Uncharted, but if the games you love are platform exclusives buying the other platform isn't going to make much sense. At the end of the day, the whole point is to entertain yourself with games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Valmont wrote: »
    For the love of God buy a Playstation. I am on my third xbox since October. I have had one red light, three red lights, and a disc reading error. Regardless of the merits of the xbox when it actually is working, an xbox will do nothing but please you greatly and then break your heart, over and over again. I rue the day I purchased the cursed thing.

Lol

I don't have an Xbox but I'm on my fourth PS3. Breaks my heart.
    Id say both have their reliability issues.

Id go for ps3 op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Lol

I don't have an Xbox but I'm on my fourth PS3. Breaks my heart.
    Id say both have their reliability issues.

Id go for ps3 op.

WHAT? To PC world!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Best advice I have heard on here in the past is to see which one do most of your mates have, then go with that one - you can play them online and everyone's a happy bunny.

that is unless there is an exclusive on one platform that you must have (e.g. Uncharted or Halo)?

Go through a few simple checks like that and your mind is made up for you already... Hope it helps. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Ive got both. I prefer the ps3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Best advice I have heard on here in the past is to see which one do most of your mates have, then go with that one - you can play them online and everyone's a happy bunny.

that is unless there is an exclusive on one platform that you must have (e.g. Uncharted or Halo)?

Go through a few simple checks like that and your mind is made up for you already... Hope it helps. :)

exactly..if all your mates have xboxes no point in getting a ps3...and vica versa..
    I've had both before..
    Xbox-better gaming console..games look better due to antialiasing beng easier to code on the xbox..

PS3---way better as a media center...now if only they added in ntfs support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I have a
    PS3 - original
    360 elite
    Wii

PS3 and 360 are really comparable in many ways. Each have advantages over the other - so I asked my wife (non-gamer)
    > PS3 - Blu Ray & Media Playback.

From her perspective the PS3 blu-ray is really good - and I have to concur if you have the right movie and a full HD tv.
    In terms of streaming video from a PC - both can equally do this to different degrees - however - the noise of the 360 means that she never uses it for the media playback.

Games
    I have tried some games on both. Sometimes you notice a difference - sometimes you do not. However one game I am playing on the 360 - Dragon Age Origins - you can really see that the graphics on the PS3 is better.

Playing online
    360 - you have to pay a yearly fee
    PS3 - free
    Downsides - have stopped playing the 360 online - tired of hearing adolescent american accents screaming - "shoot his ass - shoot his ass" - took all the fun out of playing for me.

Consider what their friends are playing though - but weigh that against the other benefits - eg Blu Ray vs All the 360 games vs adolescent voices screaming obsenities at a game...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

PSWii60...FTW...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭leom

jester77 wrote: »
    the 360 comes in black and white
    the ps3 only comes in black

360 ftw

wow what a difference... PS3 is African and xbox Asian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Both consoles have pro's and con's.

If you want the best of both worlds and widest selection of games, purchase both.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement