Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comparative/ Cultural Context

Options
  • 17-01-2010 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Im doing Billy Elliot, 'Girl with the pearl earring', and Oedipus for the english comparative.
    I have an essay wrote on Billy Elliot under the title "Family and community are valued in...", we have to add in comparisions to Girl with the pearl earring, can anyone give me main points of the story, main scene's etc. because i haven't read the book or watched the film and its due in the morning :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭pixiegaga

wow that must have gone well....I read that book and I read that book last year you would get throught it in a night if your a fast reader and pulled an all nighter...google a summery of it too that would help. I'm doing my sisters keeper we are starting next week..:/ ive read that already too and noone else in my class reads so they are all excited and thinking there smart for reading..:/ wow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

3_BOoYA_X wrote: »
    "Family and community are valued in...", ......have to add in comparisions to Girl with the pearl earring,

um GWPE is about a girl who leaves her family of mother, blind father and little sister who dies after a while to work as a maid for a famous artist (well he's famous now, dont know if he was famous when he was alive). she has a brother too and i think he works in a factory.

she points out the divide in the community between catholic and protestant. she is one and the artists family are another but i cant remember which way.

that's all i remember :o

um you can probably view the film of youtube :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

pixiegaga wrote: »
    I'm doing my sisters keeper we are starting next week..:/ ive read that already too and noone else in my class reads so they are all excited and thinking there smart for reading..:/ wow

How is that helpful? All of that reading hasn't helped your spelling and punctuation:rolleyes:

OP, use the notes your teacher gave you, have you no chapter summaries? Google a summary of the story and try to bluff the answer and then...read the bloody thing! There is no quick-fix or substitute for actually reading the texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭3_BOoYA_X

pathway33 wrote: »
    um GWPE is about a girl who leaves her family of mother, blind father and little sister who dies after a while to work as a maid for a famous artist (well he's famous now, dont know if he was famous when he was alive). she has a brother too and i think he works in a factory.

she points out the divide in the community between catholic and protestant. she is one and the artists family are another but i cant remember which way.

that's all i remember :o

um you can probably view the film of youtube :D

Thanks a mill,, Do you know what happens at the end? Does she marry the butcher bloke?
    Yeah i did the 'owl "ummm miss i forgot my memory stick" today. In the middle of doing it now, basically using google and the notes we got to spoof my way through...Going to be a lonnnggggg night Lol. :p
    -- Defo going to wathc it this weekend, have the book just don't have a minute to read it.

deemark wrote: »
    How is that helpful? All of that reading hasn't helped your spelling and punctuation:rolleyes:

OP, use the notes your teacher gave you, have you no chapter summaries? Google a summary of the story and try to bluff the answer and then...read the bloody thing! There is no quick-fix or substitute for actually reading the texts.

i'll b the first to admit it makes no sense that i can read so much and not be able to spell properily...probably slept that all wrong...but it helps every other aspect of english, if my spelling was as good as your insecure digs id be getting 100%

• Advertisement

o and she does marry the butcher bloke in the end..even tho honestly i dont tink she really wanted to....

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭3_BOoYA_X

Yeah ive got like pages and pages of notes i just have to get my head around because i was in hospital when she went through them last week :/
    ..Right here goes this anyways.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

3_BOoYA_X wrote: »
    Thanks a mill,, Do you know what happens at the end? Does she marry the butcher bloke?

have the book just don't have a minute to read it.

yeah page 234 3 lines from end butcher bloke pieter says to pearl earring girl 'its the price i paid for you'. i presume that means they got married

next page. i can gather they have 2 sons 'little frans' who is the youngest and Jan

page 236 5 line from end 'when he removed my cap on our wedding night and saw the holes in my ears :eek:

page 239 the painter vermeer is dead

page 241 van Ruijven is dead

page 246 vermeer asked before his death that catharina should give the earrings to griet

page 247 griet took the earrings and gives cornelia a slap

last page she goes to the pawn shop and gets 20 guilders for the earrings

she would give 15 guilders to butcher bloke pieter her husband so that she would not have cost him anything. i think earlier the family griet worked for owed the butcher 15 guilders but not sure on this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

pixiegaga wrote: »
    i'll b the first to admit it makes no sense that i can read so much and not be able to spell properily...probably slept that all wrong...but it helps every other aspect of english, if my spelling was as good as your insecure digs id be getting 100%

The only reason I commented was because instead of helping the OP, you posted about how much you read and put down your classmates:rolleyes:

'if your a fast reader and pulled an all nighter...google a summery of it too that would help'

i actually love my classmates....they are sooo funny with their politically incorrect jokes and sexual advances...its inspirational.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement