Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine

Options
  • 18-01-2010 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

Anyone got the H1N1 jab yet? Getting it this week:) hoping it doesn't force me to study with a headache and a sore arm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

I'm not gonna get it but anyone who did had really sore arms at least for 24 hours some couldnt sleep on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

I'd advise everyone to get it, but it does leave you with a sore arm. Feels like a bad bruise , annoying I must admit. Ask can you get it on the side you don't sleep on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

My school is getting done by the end of this month but I'm refusing it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

unknown13 wrote: »
    My school is getting done by the end of this month but I'm refusing it

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Way too rushed and I don't have any serious long term illnesses aswell.

• Advertisement

Neither do I but think I might play it safe. People have died with no underlying illnesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

i got it a month or two ago and my arm wasn't sore after the injection and i didn't have a pain in my head either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

What if you pass it on to someone who does?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

if they do have a long term illness they should of gotten the vaccine already

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Make sure not to tense up your arm. It doesn't hurt much that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Think their doing it in my school this week, not having it myself though. The fact that it has not really been tested, it contains a dodgy level of mercury, I could really do without a sore arm 2 weeks before the pre's, and I last fainted at teh sight of a needle.

If they were to introduce the nasal spray vaccine here I'd have no problem gettin that seeing as there are many less risks associated with it

i got it a month or two ago and my arm wasn't sore after the injection and i didn't have a pain in my head either

Just got it. Same:)
    The fact that it has not really been tested, it contains a dodgy level of mercury,

This is from a NY Times Article
    Q:

Since the vaccine for H1N1 is new, how do I know it is safe?

A:

Every year, the seasonal flu vaccine is tailored to match the viruses circulating at the time, and the H1N1 vaccine was made exactly the same way.

Q:

Was the H1N1 vaccine subjected to the same testing and clinical trials as seasonal flu vaccine?

A:

The F.D.A. does not require a new round of human clinical trials to study minor changes in the flu vaccine each year. However, clinical trials were conducted on the H1N1 2009 vaccine to determine the adequate dose. In addition, because H1N1 is a pandemic, we now have more information from other countries. Of the first 39,000 Chinese to get shots, only four had side effects, including muscle cramps and headaches. “You could argue that this is better tested than seasonal flu vaccine,” said Dr. Paul A. Offit, chief of infectious diseases for Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.

Link

As for the mercury, from Wikipedia:
    Thiomersal

Multi-dose versions of the vaccine contain the preservative thiomersal (also known as thimerosal), a mercury compound that prevents contamination when the vial is used repeatedly. Single-dose versions and the live vaccine do not contain this preservative. In the U.S., one dose from a multi-dose vial contains approximately 25 micrograms of mercury, a bit less than a typical tuna fish sandwich. In Canada, different variants contain five and 50 micrograms of thimerosal per dose.The use of thiomersal has been controversial, with claims that it can cause autism and other developmental disorders. The U.S. Institute of Medicine examined these claims and concluded in 2004 that the evidence did not support any link between vaccines and autism. Other reviews came to similar conclusions, with a 2006 review in the Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences stating that there is no convincing evidence to support the claim that thimerosal has a causal role in autism, and a 2009 review in the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases stating that claims that mercury can cause autism are "biologically implausible". The U.K. National Health Service stated in 2003 that "There is no evidence of long-term adverse effects due to the exposure levels of thiomersal in vaccines." The World Health Organization concluded that there is "no evidence of toxicity in infants, children or adults exposed to thiomersal in vaccines". Indeed, in 2008 a review noted that even though thiomersal was removed from all US childhood vaccines in 2001, this has not changed the number of autism diagnoses, which are still increasing.

Think its kinda silly to not get it (Unless you have medical reason or something). Even if you don't have long term illness and you get swine flu, aren't you kinda risking allowing the virus to mutate? And then people with long term illnesses who did get the vaccine might be vulerable if the vaccine isn't effective on a mutated H1N1 strain. Also, Its free!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RexMundi

I got it today.

Didn't hurt at all going in (which is unusual usually I feel at least a pin prick...) and only hurt a little for an hour or so when lifting anything heavy.

I was perfectly grand in an hour or so. Anyone else in my school who got it seems to have been left in similar shape also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Everybody doesn't get a sore arm - mine didn't hurt at all and I couldn't even find the mark that evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I got it about a month ago and it really hurt, i couldn't move my arm for days and i had a big bruise but still think it was worth it. My school got it done last Thursday and everyone said it was fine so i guess it just depends on the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

You might as well get it, having a sore arm is nothing compared to getting actual swine flu: I know a couple of people who've gotten it, both we perfectly healthy and both were absolutely dying with it. One of them went on to get pneumonia, and missed six weeks of school.
    After that there was no way I was not getting the vaccine, a secondary infection is the last thing I need right now :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

We're getting it done in our school. The HSE form is all about the pros of the situation, but my sister did point out the cons to me.

I suppose it is just better to get the vaccine and not have swine flu *fingers crossed*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

What if you pass it on to someone who does?
    Crow92 wrote: »
    if they do have a long term illness they should of gotten the vaccine already

The vaccine is not 100% effective, and this is more so the case in ill and immunocompromised individuals. Some immunocompromised people will not respond to the vaccine at all. Think about it, how do you make immune memory if your immune system is weak or if it is already fully occupied with fending off a chronic illness? The more unvaccinated healthy people there are, the more often a weak vaccinated person will be exposed to the live virus and the higher the chance they'll be infected. That is simple mathematics.

Get the vaccine and you are helping to protect others as well as yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

My school is getting the vaccine tomorrow, but it's ridiculous. Swine Flu blew through our town months ago and anyone who was going to get it, got it. Nobody is bothering to get the vaccine, you don't need it. I'm not getting it because I've already had the swine and it was fine - I was sick for a few days, I didn't die, and neither did any of my friends or family who got it. All a big deal over nothing, I think.

Advertisement