Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Had my tarot done,bloody freaked!

Options
  • 18-01-2010 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Just the other night I decided to get it done by a friend who is learning it from a book, anyway i had to pick shuffle the deck make 3 different piles and pick 3 cards one from each pile.

Card 1 - death (1st house)

Card 2 - Swords (entrapment) 2nd house

Card 3 - the hanged man 3rd house.

Needless to say I was a bit freaked by it but my friend said it might be just the death of a part of my life and not the death of me:eek:

You see what freaked me a bit is she admits that she dosent really know enough about the cards to give ma a proper interpretation,she couldnt say for defeinite there would not be a literal death. Upto now all her readings were pretty positive (money hapiness etc) when she saw my cards she was pretty freaked herself,though she tried to hide it,i could see she was a bit scared. Anyone care to give their opinion? These are not good cards!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

iceman, how do you suppose the cards predict your future? They're just cards with pictures on them, you shuffle them and pick 3 at random. How could they possibly be able to tell the future?

Don't be tormenting yourself over a deck of cards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

You see what you want to see in all these things, Astrology, Tarot, whatever. Don't worry about it, cards are random, if they weren't, Vegas would be bust by now!

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

Hi Iceman,
    I suggest you go and read Derren Brownes book.
    I am reading it at the moment and although I consider myself extremely open minded and willing to accept that some of these practices are right some of the time, I am coming to the conclusion that NONE of them are supernatural or have any spiritual connections.

Derren explains how these things work and why so many people believe them etc etc.

I used to dabble in Ouija boards and had many amazing experiences with them when I was younger.
    Now I understand that years ago they were the equivalent of monopoly for high society and were marketed as a toy. It is in fact the people holding the glass/ring/pointer moving the item themselves albeit unconciously without them knowing it.

None of those things can predict the future. They can plant seeds in your head though and therfore influence the choices you make.
    Be careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭the iceman come

Well guys thanks so much for the replies, thankfully I am still alive:)

Of course you are all absolutely correct,I was a bit freaked but not so now,I mean they are as you all say just a deck of cards with funny pics on:D.

All a bit of harmless fun. Clavia, I take your point on being careful as I dont want it to become a self fulfilling prophecy by making bad desicions based on my fear of the cards!

Again folks thak you for putting my mind at ease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Just the other night I decided to get it done by a friend who is learning it from a book, anyway i had to pick shuffle the deck make 3 different piles and pick 3 cards one from each pile.

Card 1 - death (1st house)

Card 2 - Swords (entrapment) 2nd house

Card 3 - the hanged man 3rd house.

Needless to say I was a bit freaked by it but my friend said it might be just the death of a part of my life and not the death of me:eek:

You see what freaked me a bit is she admits that she dosent really know enough about the cards to give ma a proper interpretation,she couldnt say for defeinite there would not be a literal death. Upto now all her readings were pretty positive (money hapiness etc) when she saw my cards she was pretty freaked herself,though she tried to hide it,i could see she was a bit scared. Anyone care to give their opinion? These are not good cards!

Context is as ever King when it comes what are considered good cards.

The Death card is likely to signal transformation, passage, change.

Which card of the swords suit was it? it runs from 1 to 10 and then page, knight, king and queen. Swords usually indicate struggle and adversity.

So a change which will either be a struggle or bring about adversity in your life.

the Hanged Man reflects the story of Odin who offered himself as a sacrifice in order to gain knowledge. It is about a change in perspective, which brings about a moment of clarity. When you stop struggling and willingly turn things around and upside down and take a time out from your life and look it over and consider it and where you are and what you are doing and then you step back into your life, with the knowledge you have and apply it.

So a time of change, some struggle and a new perspective if you are willing and open to it which will help you if you make it happen and take the time out to go looking for answers.

Seriously no need to be spooked, life is change and challenges and how we approach and deal with them makes all the difference.

I think your friend needs do a lot more reading and research if she is going to keep dabbling at tarot readings.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The death card does not signify death. In a reading if it comes up, thats always the first thing I say, as people tend to get freaked by it.
    As Thaedydal says, it signifys change in your life, sometimes the end of a stage in your life. It can even mean something as positive as birth.

A tarot reader should learn to not only read the cards, but to see how and why they apply to your life. For one person the swords cards can mean a stage in an ongoing row with their mother, with another it could be challenges in work. Where they appear in the spread also will influence their meaning.

I tend to read the cards in terms of the emotional impact events are having within your life, and the how you are dealing with that, rather than in terms of x y and z happening. So as mentioned, your friend needs to become a lot more familiar with her cards and how she will read them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 oneintotwo

Don't worry about it, cards are random, if they weren't, Vegas would be bust by now!

Nicely put, mind if I steal it?

iceman, the above is actually a very valid point. What I get out of doing tarot readings is that I catch myself trying to see what I want to see in it (brains will do that). It's a tool for reflection and determining your true Will.

I think you should do a bit more reading up on them before you try it again, otherwise they can be psychically dangerous (that's Occult for "it'll fúck with your head").

@Thaedydal, didn't know that about The Hanged Man, interesting stuff

Advertisement