Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Sports drop Nascar for 2010

• 18-01-2010 12:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

Balls, was looking forward to seeing my first ever Daytona 500 :mad:

From Keith Huewen's website

http://www.huewen.com/index.php?news&nid=69

NO MORE NASCAR

09-01-2010
    Sad news reached me on holiday in Thailand; Sky Sports has not secured the NASCAR Cup series for 2010. So, after a relatively short but hectic two years, NASCAR has left us.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Ah ****e!!

In fairness i'd imagine the viewing figures were quite low for it,i was surprised that Sky took it up in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Ah thats a bit of a pisser, not mad about NASCAR but it makes a nice difference from watching Hamilton and co... Maybe eurosport might pick it up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Any chance it will go to a free channel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

FFS, one of the main reasons I got Sky into my room. They'll probably stop showing Super League next. :rolleyes: FFS I hope someone picks it up. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

I'd say a pretty big reason for this is Setanta collapsing. Sky was able to buy back the rights for the US PGA Tour for the full season. The last one or two years Setanta had the rights for that and Sky had a big hole in its timesheets. With the golf now in Sky probably couldnt show all the races live-Spanish football is usually on at the same time-and they couldnt get the contract as a result.

Have to say I'm dissappointed by it though. NASCAR has been pretty good for the last few years but maybe MotorsTV can pick it up, they used to have the Nationwide on it a few years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

frostie500 wrote: »
    but maybe MotorsTV can pick it up, they used to have the Nationwide on it a few years ago

Doubt it, they're putting their faith in the WRC for this season and thank God for that.

No offence to anyone who likes NASCAR but I just don't see the appeal of going around and around in circles. Everyone to their own though, I'm not trying to be a WUM here. I've watched the road course races and they're entertaining as you're watching cars that are clearly out of their comfort zone plus one of my favourite drivers, Marcos Ambrose, always tends to go well on them.

You should be able to pick up web streams of the races?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Hmm... looks like the best option if it won't be shown this year

http://www.nascar.com/trackpass/?sc_cid=hp50

Hmm... looks like the best option if it won't be shown this year

Is that really a 3D representation of the races! Dont think I'd spend any money on it if thats the case.

dcr22B wrote: »
    Doubt it, they're putting their faith in the WRC for this season and thank God for that.

No offence to anyone who likes NASCAR but I just don't see the appeal of going around and around in circles. Everyone to their own though, I'm not trying to be a WUM here. I've watched the road course races and they're entertaining as you're watching cars that are clearly out of their comfort zone plus one of my favourite drivers, Marcos Ambrose, always tends to go well on them.

You should be able to pick up web streams of the races?

And I don't see the appeal of watching Individual cars drive along in a hurry, I can look out my window and see that. See how easy it is to make reduce something to a completely ridiculous level?

Was hoping not to have to rely on ****ty streams this year. Also was hoping to Sky+ the night races. Bleh, **** it.

frostie500 wrote: »
    Is that really a 3D representation of the races! Dont think I'd spend any money on it if thats the case.

Jeez you're right. I just naturally assumed it was live footage - 3D races wtf?! :D

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    And I don't see the appeal of watching Individual cars drive along in a hurry, I can look out my window and see that. See how easy it is to make reduce something to a completely ridiculous level?
    Ouch, did I touch a nerve and there I was thinking that internet forums were places for offering opinions :rolleyes:

Ouch, did I touch a nerve and there I was thinking that internet forums were places for offering opinions :rolleyes:

You have to watch any sport at least once from start to finish to form an opinion. I have no real interest in Baseball or NFL but have some friends who swear by it and some day I'll give it a go and see what it's about. I encourage anyone who has never watched NASCAR to try one of the superspeedway races, Daytona or Talladega. Just watch one of those races and you'll be in a better position to judge, for better or worse.

Yes the majority of courses are ovals where they go round and round but what makes that enjoyable (for me anyways) is:

1. massive sensation of speed the entire race.
    2. three, sometimes four lanes of cars. Lots of drafting and strategy going on and danger involved
    3. crazy wrecks. Which thankfully since the HANS system was introduced they're the safest cars in the world and means you don't have to worry about the driver being seriously injured or killed, even if the wreck looks like that's exactly what conceivably should've happened
    4. more emphasis on driver skill, overtaking and chief crew tactics. I like that there isn't a huge gulf in technology within each team, everybody has a chance if they do their homework
    5. nail-biting finishes. I hate in F1 when the winner has an overwhelming lead with 40 or so laps to go or if there are hardly any lead-changes the entire race.
    6. presentation. In NASCAR they have cameras everywhere, in the cars, on the bonnet, at the rear rexhaust. You get some incredible angles when there are pile ups and wrecks

I'll show you a good example of NASCAR at it's best IMO. Here's a race in Darlington a few years ago with a fantastic finish. I know it may appear a bit shallow like a sport like Basketball where you wonder if all it takes is a few seconds to win in the end, what was the point in racing those 200+ laps? But there's always something going on within the laps before and lot of stories happening amongst the drivers and crew which you're privy too

In any case - if NASCAR is broadcast this year, give the Daytona 500 a go at least

You have to watch any sport at least once from start to finish to form an opinion......In any case - if NASCAR is broadcast this year, give the Daytona 500 a go at least

I'd have to agree. NASCAR may not be perfect but its a lot better then the rep it gets here. Everyone that hasnt watched the sport thinks its dead easy, 'sure all they do is run around in circles' being the most common refrain. That was probably the view of numerous fans of NASCAR over here before they sat down and watched a race. The tactics in it are increadible, its like a cross between endurance racing and Formula 1. You see guys nursing a car for the last stint to get into a top position while other drivers had to pit and have fresh rubber and arent in fuel saving mode which leads to very exciting finishes.

Just to put it into perspective how tough NASCAR is. Jacques Villeneuve couldnt get a drive, Dario Franchitti, an Indy 500 and Indy Car champion, struggled with adapting to the cars and racing. Juan Montoya found it hard at first and he is as natural a racing driver as any. It may not have the cache of F1 over here but its still good racing and exciting to watch. im with speedboat, dont knock it until you watch a fair bit of it and get used to it, if you still dont like so be it but at least youre more informed about it.

Watching a few ARCA races on Motors TV lately has reinforced my respect for the level of abilities of the drivers in NASCAR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

In any case - if NASCAR is broadcast this year, give the Daytona 500 a go at least

Meh, got bored half way through that. It like watching slow motion, theres very little movement in the cars. The over the top commentary does not help in the least either

The clip was less than 3 mins long? I imagine perhaps a red ball or balloon caught your attention while you were watching

Anyways game possibly back on...

UPDATE

http://www.digitalspy.com/forums/showthread.php?p=37928518

A poster wrote to ESPN and got this:

"Thank you for your email. ESPN and NASCAR are working hard to secure the future of Sprint Cup Series race coverage in UK TV it is a subject as close to our hearts as it is to yours. I’m not in a position to be able to divulge details of discussions however I can say that I am confident you will be able to watch NASCAR in the UK for the 2010 season.

Yours sincerely,
    Heather White
    Director Sport Syndication, EMEA
    Disney-ABC-ESPN-Television
    Tel. +44 20 8222 2305"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

balls, dont have espn

speedboatchase,

I like all forms of motorsport and my intention was not to rubbish NASCAR and I have watched full races in the past but to be honest it got a bit boring for me after a while.

Don't get me wrong, I was addicted to CART and loved the ovals but for some reason, I just couldn't get interested in NASCAR.

speedboatchase,

I like all forms of motorsport and my intention was not to rubbish NASCAR and I have watched full races in the past but to be honest it got a bit boring for me after a while.

Don't get me wrong, I was addicted to CART and loved the ovals but for some reason, I just couldn't get interested in NASCAR.

The IRL is still very good on oval tracks at times, they've moved too much towards road courses, the thing it was set up to move away from ironically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The clip was less than 3 mins long? I imagine perhaps a red ball or balloon caught your attention while you were watching

:rolleyes:
    I got bored cos it's tedious. I've watch large chunks of racves before and found the same. Sorry but I just don't get Nascar, its like most American sports; overly long and drawn out and overly simplistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Not a fan of Nascar, every year I try to get into it but it just doesn't grab me. And not because "they only go round in circles" coz I'm a big Indycar fan, especially the oval tracks.

(Roll on 2012 and we may see a decent looking Indycar at the Brickyard for the first time in 15 years)

This was a year I was gonna give Nascar another shot but it ain't gonna happen now by the looks of things.

I guess its inevitable that will end up on ESPN eventually. Too bad you've pay extra for it.

so does anyone know will it be shown in the uk & ireland?

Grim. wrote: »

ESPN are the interational rights holder and distributor for NASCAR so I'm holding out hope that it will be shown on ESPN America here. Nothings been announched yet though

Update, some good news.

- Sky will be broadcasting an hourly highlights show every Monday at 6pm once the series begins.

- Still no word on if ESPN or ESPN America have secured live races

- Keith Heuwen, who hosted the Sky coverage last year has said today on his website (www.huewen.com) "The Daytona 500 will be live on Sky Sports on Sunday 14th February. The programme is scheduled to start at 6pm. There is no word regarding live coverage of the rest of the NASCAR Cup season as yet. Sky Sports recently secured the series highlights to be broadcast on Monday evenings after each event."

http://www.huewen.com/

Daytona 500 will be on Sky apparently. Sky also have next-day 1 hour highlights packages secured. Other than that, not much more news to report.

I'm assuming that five will also be showing weekly highlights.

Excellent news! Cant wait for the season to start. The winter seems a lot shorter when youv'e the 24 hours and the 500 at Daytona on telly!

shootout replay is on ss4(404) atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭lmmoonbeam1976

Balls, was looking forward to seeing my first ever Daytona 500 :mad:

From Keith Huewen's website

http://www.huewen.com/index.php?news&nid=69

NO MORE NASCAR

09-01-2010
    Sad news reached me on holiday in Thailand; Sky Sports has not secured the NASCAR Cup series for 2010. So, after a relatively short but hectic two years, NASCAR has left us.

hey SPEEDBOAT

pm me for a link so you can see the race

wouldnt want you to be disappointed now would i ;)

• Advertisement

Grim. wrote: »

pm me for a link to watch it -- dont know if allowed to post link here

im from dublin and am watching the practise as we speak

hey SPEEDBOAT

pm me for a link so you can see the race

wouldnt want you to be disappointed now would i ;)

Do u want me to PM you or vice versa? Daytona will be on live this week, that's the race we know so far, hopefully not the only one. I watched a stream on justin.tv a week ago and was very disappointed, small window and blurry picture meant it was hard to keep track of the stats on the screen and everyones position, lots of squinting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

Anyone happen to have a spare 'R-U' invite code? I would like to see the Duels in full again. Had an account ages ago that went dead

Do u want me to PM you or vice versa? Daytona will be on live this week, that's the race we know so far, hopefully not the only one. I watched a stream on justin.tv a week ago and was very disappointed, small window and blurry picture meant it was hard to keep track of the stats on the screen and everyones position, lots of squinting!

im watching the practise and chats now and the screens are good -- i have them full size on laptop and no probs --- i alwys watch it onthis

not sure how to pm !!

gs39t wrote: »
    Anyone happen to have a spare 'R-U' invite code? I would like to see the Duels in full again. Had an account ages ago that went dead

whats R-U ???

im watching the practise and chats now and the screens are good -- i have them full size on laptop and no probs --- i alwys watch it onthis

not sure how to pm !!

Once you're logged in if you click on my name it should bring up a small window with 5 options, you can send a PM from there

• Advertisement
Advertisement